Can you mentally count the probability of winning a hand?

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is this a hypothetical question using the figurative "you", or is this a personal question and you are looking for someone who can actually do it?

There is a big difference between counting outs and calculating probability. I do think this is a very important skill to develop. A player doesn't need to be able to calculate within 0.001%, but if you can consistently recognize your probability within +-5%, then you are on your way to being able to make very good decisions.

Equilab software actually has a training module for calculating probability to win (this is called equity in equilab terms). This module will present you with a flop and your hole cards based on a range you specify and will then calculate your probability of winning based on a specified opponent range. I use this often as a way to sharpen my skills in this area. Do 10 or 20 of these a day for a week and you may see where you are misunderstanding how probabilities really get calculated. I actually keep a running total of my "training sessions" to make sure I am not losing a skill that I thought I had.

I think it will be very difficult to accurately/consistently) get within +-5% in your head, with the knowledge you already, without using software to tell you the number. Try it and see how you do. If you average +-10%, then this may be an area that a player should spend a little time on. A 10% error could really affect your ability to make good decisions because you are either overestimating your equity by a fair amount or overestimating your opponents equity by a fair amount.

Good luck.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Is this a hypothetical question using the figurative "you", or is this a personal question and you are looking for someone who can actually do it?

There is a big difference between counting outs and calculating probability. I do think this is a very important skill to develop. A player doesn't need to be able to calculate within 0.001%, but if you can consistently recognize your probability within +-5%, then you are on your way to being able to make very good decisions.

Equilab software actually has a training module for calculating probability to win (this is called equity in equilab terms). This module will present you with a flop and your hole cards based on a range you specify and will then calculate your probability of winning based on a specified opponent range. I use this often as a way to sharpen my skills in this area. Do 10 or 20 of these a day for a week and you may see where you are misunderstanding how probabilities really get calculated. I actually keep a running total of my "training sessions" to make sure I am not losing a skill that I thought I had.

I think it will be very difficult to accurately/consistently) get within +-5% in your head, with the knowledge you already, without using software to tell you the number. Try it and see how you do. If you average +-10%, then this may be an area that a player should spend a little time on. A 10% error could really affect your ability to make good decisions because you are either overestimating your equity by a fair amount or overestimating your opponents equity by a fair amount.

Good luck.

Well said

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Yes, in most cases I can calculate this probability.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Regarding the capability of competitors on a mental calculation championship, It may be possible. Instead all people say it is not possible, I think with hard work I can get it, so I am trying to do it. For awhile is just an experience but I am doing amazing discovers.

guwanch7777777

guwanch7777777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
after two or three hands you can calculate the hands but if the opponent is cunning it will be difficult

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I cant, that why i hate poker math. I just go with guts and common sense.
The more i try it the more i make mistakes.

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Friend It is the probability of your game winning the game of other players. Nuts is when you have the best possible showdown game in this case is 100% for you. Showdown is when all 5 cards on the table have already been dealt.+_+:rolleyes:

F

Fatman0912

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can never be sure what is your probability to win a hand as you don't have info what cards are still in the deck. You don't know what cards your opponent has and what cards the other people at the table had. I personally don't think in probabilities, but of course I have a good idea how strong my hand is. This comes with experience.

M

marvbake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you're drawing, on flop; count the number of outs you think you have * 4 - (if number of outs is greater than 8 - 8). on turn number of outs * 2.

suppose I have 9 outs on the flop,
that means (9*4) - (9-8) = 35% of hitting my hand on the turn or river.

Calculate your pot odds too. Suppose it's 100 for you to call against 200 in the pot (including bet amount), you're then getting 2:1 or about 66:33. That means you have to either be right at least 33% of the time (if you construct a range, and can beat at least 1/3 of your opponent's range) or if you're drawing, you have to at least have a 33% chance of winning for the call to be profitable

S

Space635

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when i started i didn't get!

It is important to learn how to calculate the probability of hitting the game after the flop (the first three community cards).

The best "formulas" to come up with a realistic prediction are based on the number of outs, ie the remaining cards in the deck.

Between 1 and 8 outs: Multiply the number of outs by 4
Between 9 and 20 outs: Multiply the number of outs by 3 and add 8

Example: After the flop, you have one draw straight and assume that you will only win the pot if you hit it. That means you have 4 outs. By multiplying (4x 4)%, you find that you have a 16% chance of getting the right straight down to the river.

Last edited by a moderator:
eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think it was Carbon poker that had that calculation available in a sidebar. So when I played on the site, I never had to calculate it. That is the closest I have come to using a poker helper software.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You can never be sure what is your probability to win a hand as you don't have info what cards are still in the deck. You don't know what cards your opponent has and what cards the other people at the table had. I personally don't think in probabilities, but of course I have a good idea how strong my hand is. This comes with experience.
Actually in short term doesn't matter what exactly the villain has on his hand, but being careful about ranges ever help us in long term. Professionals care about ranges and probabilities, so I think it's good to follow their lead.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i can but do i use it? i want to see flops in mtts as much as possible and that is primarily what i play...... i get a flop , i judge opponents range and was this a limp pot etc... so many variables to this..... how much is the bet or cbet am i out of position... is player x very aggro etc... so honestly for me this is a little piece of the pie and I tend not to chase..... i will throw down top two pair often in situation of 3 flush flop and against an aggro person...... my motto is there will be a better time... keep in mind this is based also on my chiip stack at the time the blinds how much is in pot etc... a lot of variables but to chase for a card or cards??? this is what i want opponents to do not me

lovemetender

lovemetender

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's very hard to memorize all the possibilities in poker.I just count with luck sometimes. Of course bad luck too.

Last edited:
KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi :ciao:
i a blonde, too much math makes my head explode

G

gwj63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
outs and odds instantly, just like the pros taught me
doesn't mean I make the correct decisions on how to play it :)

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Of course, it is proven that the game of poker ... is a game of numbers and calculation of Odds ... so if you become very agile and know what your chances of winning a hand ... you will have a lot chances of success ... of course you also need to have a good reading of your opponents ...!

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Defently you sould count outs (and dont forget to remove some). Counting equity also good add on I don`t know is it always necessary.

Good starting point count when you doing hand analysis sessions.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
....keep in mind that the probability of hitting the outs you have counted, is not the same thing as the probability of winning your hand.

If you are counting outs for a flush, will you have the nut flush or an inferior flush?
If you are counting outs for a straight, will you end up with the idiot end of the straight?

Counting outs is great, but learning how to translate this to true equity (probability of winning the hand) is a good skill to learn.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion there are only a certain combination of the probability to collect! But here is whether it is a winning eogo nobody knows!

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Yes, I can calculate my chances of winning (as a percentage) and I think that there is nothing complicated about it !!!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands