You can't use 4 cards

J

Jkj19886

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok this hand i split the low b/c we both have 2 5 but he wins the hi b/c he has jj which allows him to use 4 cards lol i informed the site but they said their was nothing wrong with said hand lol Am I wrong? I'm just baffled like either use the jj or the 2 5 can't use both lol20220228 163219

D

davem86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I learned the hard way playing PLO. I for the longest time couldn't understand how if I had a suit in my hand with 4 on the board why my flush did not win.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Ok this hand i split the low b/c we both have 2 5 but he wins the hi b/c he has jj which allows him to use 4 cards lol i informed the site but they said their was nothing wrong with said hand lol Am I wrong? I'm just baffled like either use the jj or the 2 5 can't use both lolView attachment 302192
Yes, you are, if you don't know something as basic as that in PLO8, then you should not play it, you will only lose money playing it.

:top:

M

Mr_Nuisance

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As said already in the thread, when you are deciding the best high hand and best low hand in PLO8, you can use different cards to make you best high and low hand. This is why when you are deciding what hands to play preflop, you should play hands that have playability both for a high hand and a low hand (ex. AAK2, you have a playable A2 for the low hand, a pair of aces, or AK if you happen to hit a high straight).

I am not sure if you were playing a freeroll or whatnot, but it is extremely important that you know the rules of the game that you decide to play, or else you are guaranteed to lose by misreading your hand and not gauging your hand strength accurately. Hopefully this helps you in future PLO8 tournaments!

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hi lo is a different beast. It's my favorite game. Others have set you straight, you can play a different pair of cards from your hand for the high and the low pot. Stick to smaller stakes and study a bit and you'll find PLO8 is the game of true poker aficionados.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Good to hear you are learnimg the rules to this variant of poker. You do not have to use the same 2 cards for lo as the 2 cards you used for high.

I enjoy PL08 more than even no limit poker.

P

padman400

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play the PLO8 freerolls on ACR is my recommendation. You high and low hand is shown as well as you play, so you cant miss anything. You will get a good feel for the game that way and without risk.

P

padman400

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Forgot to mention PLO8 freerolls are every 3 hours on Wednesday and Saturdays if I remember rightly - enjoy.

Great FUN :)

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those are really, really awful Omaha 8 hands. You can only use 2 of your hole cards for a low pot and hi pot but you can use a single card to qualify for both a high and a low. A common example is if you have A2xx and the flop comes 345 and that's the easiest example I can think of a low card (the Ace) qualifies for both the low (A,2,3,4,5) and high hand which is an A-5 straights or also called a wheel.

What happened in your example is the opponent uses JJ to beat your pair of 4s for the high hand then they tie you with a A {2) 4 {5} 8 low to split the low pot. So they take the HI POT and they chop the bottom pot with you. We call what happened to you getting "quartered" since you only won 25% or 1/4 of the entire pot.

The easiest way to make you understand that you can ONLY USE 2 CARDS IN OMAHA 8 is YOUR LOW IS DETERMINED BY A 5 CARD LOW. 2 IN THE HOLE AND 3 ON THE BOARD. Its the same with the hi hand you can only use 2 cards.

Daniel Negreanu has a video "How to Play Omaha Hi -Lo" on youtube that's the limit version and its straight forward stuff that everyone should know. I haven't watched it all the way through but I bet that if you followed his advice and actually practiced what's preached in that video then you would be a much better player.

Omaha 8 is a more complex game than regular Omaha because it involves a possible low so if you want to get better at omaha8 then you have to get better in Omaha is the best and most simple advice I can give you. And if you ask "How do you get better at that?" then I'll bet Daniel has another simple to understand video to get you started, lol.

For more playing time you can follow this advice:

Play the PLO8 freerolls on ACR is my recommendation. You high and low hand is shown as well as you play, so you cant miss anything. You will get a good feel for the game that way and without risk.
GL.

And I know pokerstars has playchip sit and goes with the limit version 6 handed going frequently. DO NOT PLAY NL OMAHA 8 because you will not learn much from the experience as the games will be a bingo session at best. Practice discipline and working on starting hands and play limit or Pot limit.

darkvick

darkvick

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
usually I don't play Hi-Lo because of this. I like the essence of poker

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The rules of plo8 are subtler than hold'em, you need to play a lot to be familiar with it, I think plo8 is harder comparing to holdem, because it has more possibilities for both preflop and postflop plays.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I found it easier when I played Stud Hi and lo to covert to PLO hi and lo
Going form PLO Hi version to Hi- LO version was confusing
Im sure that same everyone that starts out

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the wheel is a legit winning poker hand
I found it hard to adjust from regular poker hand rankings to ace-2-3-4-5 as the best hand until I played Razz
then it was easier to figure out how to play Stud Hi -lo and Omaha Hi - L
Love 2-7 draw as well because a different game too

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yep, I had a recent revelation myself involving low-hands. The weird thing about this game is that you can't use all 4 cards in the same 5-card hand, but you can use 2 cards for the high and the 2 other cards in your hand for the low, in essence using all 4 hole-cards to scoop the pot or chop, depending.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yea that a common error for players who go from Holdem to Omaha
playing the turn and river board make sure you must use the 2 hole cards from your own cards
Players who play lots of HE get used to playing the whole board or 4 card straight or flush with one hole card to make their hand which is a mistake in omaha

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I play a few different variants of poker and learned all of them in freerolls. When I started with plo it took me a while to understand how the cards work. I also thought that I had the higher flush and thought that there was an error in the system and even wrote to the support to ask why I had lost with the flush A high. Now I know that I didn't have a flush at all, just the A of the same suit. With hi/lo, as already mentioned, 2 cards are counted as hi and 2 as lo. Where the A can be counted for both