WOULD YOU RATHER???

DaFrank

DaFrank

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To some, this may sound like a silly question and it's purely hypothetical, but would you rather have A2 suited preflop or A9 suited preflop in a heads up situation??

To you avid poker players who are more skilled and more knowledgeable about poker than I am this may seem like an easy question to answer. To some, your brain knows poker so well that this seems blasphemous to even answer. For me however I am not sure which hand is better heads up.

Which cards would you rather have heads up?? I know there are different factors that play into the situation but again, what cards would you prefer?

DaFrank:)

DaFrank

DaFrank

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For those of you who think this is an idiotic question.. That A9 is obviously the better hand. A2 suited are also suited connectors so wouldn't make it almost 50/50?

DaFrank

Marctowin

Marctowin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The run-up of cards between A2 is much less than that of A9. Hence A2 is better. But playing with such cards depends on your stack, position at the table and the stage of the tournament.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No since A9 has a higher kicker than 8 so its chances of splitting pot go dramatically down. Also A2 is the most dominated ace out there since Axsuited is very popular compared to Kx suited. OP stay away from cash games focus on freerolls.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For those of you who think this is an idiotic question.. That A9 is obviously the better hand. A2 suited are also suited connectors so wouldn't make it almost 50/50?

DaFrank
people overestimate the suited cards and in no way makes up for being dominated in a 71-23% flip.

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Howdy friend:0) I would rather have the A9 it suits me better:0) even though the A2 is a possible straight flush and I do love those:0) I think A9 hits more often:0)

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since we're talking heads up only and there is nothing saying it has to be an all-in, I would rather have A2s. Not only are there straight and flush possibilities, but the odds of both of us having an ace in heads up is rare. It does happen, but way more often than not only one of you have the Ace so being out-kicked is not a major consideration to me.

Now, if this were an all-in situation, I would be folding both hands preflop.

R

rudy988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A2 or A9 suited in heads up ... Which one is better ... REALLY ?

I don't know what game are you guys playing , but this one is obvious to me ... LOL

Most of the time you don't hit nor A nor 2 or 9 , so why would you even consider hands like those ...Oop I wouldn't play neither of those , unless ofc ...

Almost same question , would you rather have K8 or K2 suited ... (almost) ... Or Q7 or Q2 ... higher kicker wins every time , in my Texas Holdem world !

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A,9 is way better. Heads up with rising blinds, any hand with an ace is good enough.

TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A/p the table of odds on the site, A-9 has more chances (62%) of winning then A-2 (57%).. it lowers if not suited. So A-9 should be the best hand between the both.

Personally, heads up, I find them very similar. Odds only 5% of difference and at this stage, any hand with an A and suited is good to play.

If you're short stack and need to double up, A-9 would be the best hand.

iMO! :)

-TRP-

DaFrank

DaFrank

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I appreciate all of the comments and input. It does seem like there are a variance of opinions on the question I asked. rudy988, why would you not play A2 or A9 suited heads up? I don't understand that.. I think almost any Ace heads up preflop is good? Idk man, I'm not sure what your thinking is..

DaFrank

DaFrank

DaFrank

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A2 or A9 suited in heads up ... Which one is better ... REALLY ?

I don't know what game are you guys playing , but this one is obvious to me ... LOL

Most of the time you don't hit nor A nor 2 or 9 , so why would you even consider hands like those ...Oop I wouldn't play neither of those , unless ofc ...

Almost same question , would you rather have K8 or K2 suited ... (almost) ... Or Q7 or Q2 ... higher kicker wins every time , in my Texas Holdem world !

I guess I'm just not sure what your thought process is. Heck even if I have A2 or A9 not suited preflop heads up I'm assuming I have the best hand.

You're telling me that if you are heads up, you are not playing A2, A9 suited? That makes me wonder if you have ever played heads up poker?

DaFrank

R

rudy988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess I'm just not sure what your thought process is. Heck even if I have A2 or A9 not suited preflop heads up I'm assuming I have the best hand.

You're telling me that if you are heads up, you are not playing A2, A9 suited? That makes me wonder if you have ever played heads up poker?

DaFrank

WAU , I try to explain my point of view to you and others , and in the end I get insulted , well thank you , that was really nice of you Frank !!!

I didn't wrote I'm not playing those hands , I wrote I wouldn't played them Oop or unless ofc (big difference) , but I doubt you even know what that means , so forget it , who cares ! - google it , its important thing in poker !

And if you think that you have the best hand preflop with A2/A9s or off s ... Well that info just shows me how much you know, understand & need to learn about poker ! When I think of it I was doing the same mistakes 5-10y ago ! Live & learn

And after looking at your question , I'm wondering have you ever play any card game at all in your life , but again who cares, your prob. ! I was just trying to help you , but you totally misunderstood it and insulted me :eek: sry for trying to help

And sry I've posted in your topic & gl with your poker career , I won't bother you anymore

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Folding A9/A2 Heads-up is wrong. :deal: Read before answering next time,,,,

Ropa

Ropa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this particular case i would choose A2 instead of A9, because A2 are closer cards than A9 and if its preflop and you don't know whats coming down, chance to gutshot. In any other case i would fold, when bubble etc. But as said it's HU i'd definately play this hand.

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I rarely play with such cards.Even if the ACE falls, you can lose by kicker. Weak cards.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd rather have A9s than A2s. Both have the same potential for a nut flush, but A9s has 2 advantages while A2s has only 1:

A2s : (1) Better chance of making a wheel. However, since it can't wrap around, it's nowhere near as good as having something like 65s or TJs.

A9s : (1) Since there are only 5 cards above the 9, pairing your 9 puts you in much better position, especially if you hit top pair. (2) Against a lower Ax, you are more likely to outkick your opponent than split the pot.

In think the A9s benefits will occur much more frequently than the rare occasion you would see a 345 on the board.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And if you think that you have the best hand preflop with A2/A9s or off s ... Well that info just shows me how much you know, understand & need to learn about poker ! When I think of it I was doing the same mistakes 5-10y ago ! Live & learn

And after looking at your question , I'm wondering have you ever play any card game at all in your life , but again who cares, your prob. ! I was just trying to help you , but you totally misunderstood it and insulted me :eek: sry for trying to help

I don't think the response was insulting. He was just pointing out that both of those hands are very playable heads-up. Watch ANY heads-up poker on TV and you will see that the players just about always raise with any A. That's because Ax is very likely to be the best hand pre-flop in a heads up game. Granted, it's not always the best hand, but most of the time it is.

R

rudy988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I rarely play with such cards.Even if the ACE falls, you can lose by kicker. Weak cards.

Finally someone who understands how game works ! Ty lady for making my day little better :D

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

I would rather have ace nine suited. True the ace deuce can draw a straight but you don't count on it. Then nine isn't usually the kicker. But ace nine hits better for me.

DaFrank

DaFrank

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I don't think the response was insulting. He was just pointing out that both of those hands are very playable heads-up. Watch ANY heads-up poker on TV and you will see that the players just about always raise with any A. That's because Ax is very likely to be the best hand pre-flop in a heads up game. Granted, it's not always the best hand, but most of the time it is.

Kowrip, thank you. I appreciate your input! I just don't understand the thought process of not playing A2 A9 suited heads up. Maybe, just maybe.. If your opponent is ALL IN preflop and you just want to see a flop before you decide to go all in. Even at that, if my opponent raises all in pre flop and I have A9 suited, I can't see myself folding there. Right?

DaFrank

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Exactly. Those hands just get you into more trouble than anything. If I HAD to pick though, A2. But the flop always is the game changer.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I rather take A9 hand than A2 because of the kicker.

Now if I had A9 and my opponent raised big. I would seriously fold A9 if most after the flop especially if the opponent indicates strength.

A9 is usually more of bluffing another opponent bluff meaning your opponent tries to represent a big hand only to test out the bluff of raising only to fold after the raise.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kowrip, thank you. I appreciate your input! I just don't understand the thought process of not playing A2 A9 suited heads up. Maybe, just maybe.. If your opponent is ALL IN preflop and you just want to see a flop before you decide to go all in. Even at that, if my opponent raises all in pre flop and I have A9 suited, I can't see myself folding there. Right?

DaFrank

Like anything else, it depends on a few things. If I have my opponent covered and he/she isn't super tight, then I'm most likely calling with A9s. If he/she has me covered, then I'd have to give it a bit more thought. Hopefully, we would have shown down a few hands that I could reference to see what kinds of hands he/she plays heads up. I certainly wouldn't fault anybody for calling an all-in with A9s heads up.