Would you ever shove with deuces?

Vlaad

Vlaad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course. Say you are in the big blind in a MTT. Your stack is 9 BBs, everyone folds, except the SB completes. In this situation I would even shove with hands worse than deuces :)

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have often shoved with a pocket pair of Deuces, sometimes it is the best way to play them, any 2 cards can beat them if the Villain pairs on the flop, It certainly is not a hand you want someone to call you on but at the start of a hand you are still holding a pair over someone playing suited connectors.
I once shoved with A/A and when someone called with Q/Q someone other player said "sorry to tell you but I folded Ace Queen" Great I replied, That means there is one Ace and one Queen left, He has to hit, I don't, and Laughed as my Aces stood up. It is the same with Deuces You have a pair and A/K doesn't so he has to hit to make his hand you don't, So basically it is a coin toss who wins.
It does not make you a good player, just a lucky player if they hold, but most of the time you are expecting a fold from one or two other players that might be the BB and SB, if you are on the button.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

P

PrinceJigger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I have fewer than 15 BB in a tournament and it's folded to me in late position or in the small blind, I'm jamming deuces.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I have fewer than 15 BB in a tournament and it's folded to me in late position or in the small blind, I'm jamming deuces.

Agreed - being short stacked gives us incentive to shove. However, I've also folded deuces before DESPITE being short stacked. Effective stack size is a major consideration but so is the exact opponent you are facing.

By the way, ducks (22) isn't as bad as some may think - it is still a pocket pair. Preflop this is even better than unpaired hands like Ace-rag; having a pair already is a nice thing to have. Of course, there are MANY overcards to a deuce lol (everything is an overcard other than hitting another 2) and also higher pocket pairs are very bad for us due to having so few outs.

Like everything else seems to be in poker, it is situational. Shoving with deuces (even if short-stacked) could be a mistake or a mistake not to shove; no one said poker was simple :D

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The general idea behind shoving a hand like 22 is:

** Your opponent(s) can always fold when you shove

** When called, most of the time you'll be flipping

Low pocket pairs make pretty good move-in hands pre-flop for this reason, particularly when there's a good chance you'll get everyone to fold.

K

Kraanjhb7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never. Just dont like the idea of lowest pair,

H

hohol97

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure. When you shove this hand you must have maximum fold equty

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never. Just dont like the idea of lowest pair,

Okay sure, but think of the meta-game considerations if the rest of the table is like-minded and you just won with a pair of deuces! They might mis-label you as a maniac and next thing you know, you are getting paid with your value hands and raises :)

I consider table image and factors like this that apply to much more than just this single hand. Each hand is not in a vacuum. Playing with your table image can be a useful tool - especially if it is situational like this. :D

Vitorbismark

Vitorbismark

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
depends on the situation

we must think that with a pair of 2 we always go in the worst situation to get two random cards that can become a pair. Using the chat probability calculator, we will assume that at 22 you were paid for a KJ hand, which is a very common situation to happen, basically we will have 50% x 50% than a situation where we have less than 10BB, I think it is very good.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when i am very short stacked yes

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course deuces never loses xD

Would you ever shove with deuces?
Yes there are lot of situations in mtts and SNGs that when you're short you have to shove deuces and even worst hands of course in a cash game never shove deuces :D

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
In position against a tight player, short-stacked late, or defending big blind against a loose player.

R

redsfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not in favor of it,but i have shoved with 2s.I will if i am the short stack,or very low on chips.

ComfyPanda

ComfyPanda

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course I'd shove deuces if the situation was right for it. As others have mentioned, if you're in position and have few players to act, or short on chips in a tournament, then a shove with the ducks is perfectly fine. All about what scenario you're in.

PktPairPete

PktPairPete

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely. Short-stacked, late position.

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the situation and position. But the way I see it, flopping 22 (or any pocket pair under KK and AA) is just as strong or stronger than flopping AK.

To answer your question. Yes I would.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The general idea behind shoving a hand like 22 is:

** Your opponent(s) can always fold when you shove

** When called, most of the time you'll be flipping

Low pocket pairs make pretty good move-in hands pre-flop for this reason, particularly when there's a good chance you'll get everyone to fold.

Further to Collin's first point, you're going to get some overpairs to fold to an open shove, so, for example, you might have someone behind you, yet to act, with Pocket 4's that might fold to your shove, but get a call from AQ and your hand holds after the board runs out, and you double-up.

So yes, shoving Pocket 2's should be in your toolbox to be used.