Winning poker style?

_xgeb_

_xgeb_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
AR
Chips
What style of play do you think is best for low limits? rock, nit, lag?

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thank U 4 Posting.

LAG is always the best for all levels of poker.

Good LAG at the lower limits plays a wide range but does not expect villains to make good folds. V's seldom fold pairs and do not fold draws. However delayed aggression vs draws increases the errors V's are making with those draws.

Delayed C-bets and bet folding are effective strat vs weak V's.

Also attacking real weakness is effective.

Good LAG play is not about the aggression it is about the player reads. You then use the proper level of agg vs each player.
Check raising for value and pot plus bet sizing also good low limit LAG play.

Hope this helps
:):)

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

I think a lot depends on the temperament of the player. I prefer careful play, try to be patient and only play with strong cards.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a player who experienced playing a lot of poker. Not one style is particularly a winner every time.

I find that though being discipline to fold hands even though when its hard to is the key to not going broke.

To go for the win, you need well timed aggression when you see weakness and not get carried away when you think you have a hand because the villain could have something better.

E

ejsch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker

i like to play for a while and judge the table before i decide on my style of play

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Lag, Nit, tag, lpass are styles of villains. Dont be like them. Learn first gto strategy because it pretend to be unbeatable, ties in the worse scenarios, so it it protect you. After learn exploitable strategy to exploit weaker players.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really like style of the poker site owner. Love his game at all limits, at all tables, he always wins by not even playing against you, while you're trying to win not even knowing about him.

Shawnt

Shawnt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Passive aggressive

Steady weary and aggressive. Personality jackel

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank U 4 Posting.

LAG is always the best for all levels of poker.

Good LAG at the lower limits plays a wide range but does not expect villains to make good folds. V's seldom fold pairs and do not fold draws. However delayed aggression vs draws increases the errors V's are making with those draws.

Delayed C-bets and bet folding are effective strat vs weak V's.

Also attacking real weakness is effective.

Good LAG play is not about the aggression it is about the player reads. You then use the proper level of agg vs each player.
Check raising for value and pot plus bet sizing also good low limit LAG play.

Hope this helps
:):)

Thank you for posting. This is very helpful. I am trying to improve my skill level to become a winning player. I consider myself a tight aggressive player. I am currently trying to improve my ability to put my opponents on accurate ranges so I can bluff more efficiently. I have a weak spot in my gameand that is when I don't hit immediately I believe I am to quick to fold and lose alot of pots I'm ahead in after the flop. It is a grind and hope to use all this available info to improve. Thank you

Good Luck To All:cool:

F

fernando21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A mixed strategy, meaning that you vary the way you play a hand across games, is essential to preventing your opponents from easily reading you,

Beginners should play a more conservative style and slowly change strategy one part at a time, so as not to self-destruct with expensive mistakes.

Board coverage is where your range is constructed to hit all possible board textures. This means that your opponent will not be able to apply pressure in situations where your range is unlikely to have connected with the board.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the style doesn't matter.

It's more about if you mastered the style you play...
And how well you can adjust to different opponents,
because a style that is perfect for the table you play today
can be the "wrong" one for the next table.

I see different types of players being equally successful.

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing guarantees you a win.
My personal opinion is that you have to change more styles to adapt to the game itself.

gupiel0k69

gupiel0k69

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I think on low-micro levels a solid tight agrresive style is the best. Selecting a solid hands preflop gives you an advangate in clear equity. People also dont really like to fold so bluffs vs such people might not be the best option. Seems like they cant also fold their draws even when facing a solid bets, so overall selecting a good starting hands, playing in position and proper valuebetting should be the right approach imo.

_xgeb_

_xgeb_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
AR
Chips
I think on low-micro levels a solid tight agrresive style is the best. Selecting a solid hands preflop gives you an advangate in clear equity. People also dont really like to fold so bluffs vs such people might not be the best option. Seems like they cant also fold their draws even when facing a solid bets, so overall selecting a good starting hands, playing in position and proper valuebetting should be the right approach imo.

I add with you. I use such a strategy in microlimits. It is best suited to exploit looses players and bad postflop gameplay. ;)

LA PokerKush

LA PokerKush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gotta switch it up, depending on the game and especially if you play tournaments. If you play one style, generally speaking, you'll be too predictable.
Most importantly you'll be trying to adjust to your opponents in hopes to outplay them,

Good luck!

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the style doesn't matter.

It's more about if you mastered the style you play...
And how well you can adjust to different opponents,
because a style that is perfect for the table you play today
can be the "wrong" one for the next table.

I see different types of players being equally successful.

This answer. +1 Perhaps experiment a bit (the thread op) and see what your "natural style" is and learn other styles to incorporate some of those elements into your own game.

Nothing guarantees you a win.
My personal opinion is that you have to change more styles to adapt to the game itself.

True also. Playing one table as a TAG might be the best style to play and at another table, being the Maniac style might be most profitable. It depends on many factors like the opponent play-styles, how much they adapt in response to you, the effective stacks and many more factors like this.

Poker is a complex game; watching the pros can tell you that many very different styles succeed. All of them share certain things in common (that make them successful), but different styles also vary in some ways too.

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This thread was answered in an amazing way by many. Here is a bit of advice that can help.

If you are new, learn to be tight and aggressive. This can help you with your discipline. It may not be flashy, but it can help you run deep in many tournaments.

Once you learn the TAG way, then learn how to be looser. You have the discipline from being the TAG, so now you can use that to open more hands. Now you have 2 styles of play under you and know how to play against them.

After that, learn to adapt to your table. Never believe you are going to have the ability to play the same every single tournament. Listen to videos from people like Evan Jarvis on how he evolved. Jonathan Little has some amazing stories.

During all of this learning, figure out exploitative methods to use to build your chip stack even more.

The final part of this is that you will lose. Do not believe you are going to have good days every single day. Some weeks are going to be a pain. Play your game and keep learning. Believe me, it will work.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not think there is one style thats most effective, I really think you want to "be like water" or adapt to the villans. Some tables you might have great success stealing and on others you might get 3 bet every time you raise.

bekbollkz

bekbollkz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And how to find Evan Jarvis video. I want to watch and learn.

norwoox

norwoox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I noticed that people at low limits play almost every hand, often bluff, and even more often rely simply on luck. It is difficult to find a style for such people. Often I try to play if good cards come. And if I notice that a player is constantly bluffing or playing almost every hand, I can try to play with him through bluffing,
sometimes it works

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

I wpuld have to say losse agresive would be the best for low limits. You have minimal exposure and can with a little luck dominate the table.

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't believe there is a certain style to win at poker. Any style can win, but the key is how to adjust to your opponents play style and exploit them.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like its been said above, you need a bit of every strategy to win. Whatever strategy is most +EV against the table/opponent/hand you are currently playing is the best strategy for you to play.

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a super agressive style in Pot limit Omaha and is seems working super good till I jump limits an I run to players who have the same style and it becomes very hard to be a winner