Why pokersnowie likes to check instead of c-betting?

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
So today I was playing with pokersnowie and was looking in one interesting spot. I want to hear your opinions.

Scenario. Hero opens from UTG. MP calls. Everyone else folds. Effective stacks 100bb.

Flop: AdQhTs

Hero checks whopping 83% of his range!!! Like, seriously, wtf? He uses mixed strategy, but if I simplify it and make it playable it would be like this. Bet TT, 77, 88, AKs, KQs, KTs, JTs . Check everything else.

What you think about this and why it is correct or wrong? Do you know any high stakes player who plays like that?

Last edited:
G

Gabe16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I imagine theres an x/r range?

Its a srp with what in theory will be two tight ranges lacking in air, oop will want to balance/protect a checking range. The spr is low so nut advantage (there’s a straight on board) is more significant.

It’d probably be different on a board like AQ7r and I imagine a much more significant cb range on say AQss8d etc?

I haven’t ran any analysis on this spot tbh. I don’t use snowie.

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As far as I know about Gto theory one big difference between modern play and theory is exactly the cbet frequency. According to theory people should cbet far less then what is in real play today. So what is going on and how do people get away with 70% cbet when gyp is close to 45 50%? . In Gtoo theory there are a lot of hands 30% that indifferent between checking and cbetting. That means that on the long run you win the same amount no matter if you check these or cbet. That is why modern players get away with this higher frequency. However this means there ranges are not balanced especially their check back range is much weaker and there you can attack it.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So today I was playing with pokersnowie and was looking in one interesting spot. I want to hear your opinions.

Scenario. Hero opens from UTG. MP calls. Everyone else folds. Effective stacks 100bb.

Hero checks whopping 83% of his range!!! Like, seriously, wtf? He uses mixed strategy, but if I simplify it and make it playable it would be like this. Bet TT, 77, 88, AKs, KQs, KTs, JTs . Check everything else.

What you think about this and why it is correct or wrong? Do you know any high stakes player who plays like that?

In this spot snowie is recommending betting with a small 1/4 pot bet sizing 74% and Checking 26%. It uses a 1/4 pot sizing for its entire betting range in this board.

This board smashes the UTG range, so it makes sense for snowie to bet small on this dry board and keep the weaker parts of villains range in the hand by using a smaller bet sizing. A lot of range has good showdown value, like all the single pair hands that would rather keep the pot small. Not much air here for UTG range.

If using a full pot sizing (which it does not recommend in this spot), snowie will use a highly polarized range. It will bet at the highest frequencies with QQ,KJ for value, K9,J9,JTclubs,KTclubs for bluffs, everything else is check at highest freq.

ox2enAI.png

Last edited:
playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerSnowie is elementary software.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerSnowie is elementary software.

Ive never used it past its trial date. I wouldnt call it "elementary" - i think it provides a solid basic strategy for the beginner. I found lots of spots where myself and the program did not agree - bet sizes, opening ranges, etc. That being said the program does learn...if you play a specific way all the time it will learn your tendencies and put pressure on you at certain moments when your "perceived range" doesnt connect.
Pretty cool how it learns depending on your stats.

That being said the program is VERY predictable and easily beaten. Once it percieves you to be a TAG player it will fold to almost every 3bet you throw at it, every check raise, every all in, etc until it realizes that you are making those moves way too frequently.

Again, interesting program but overall, id rather just use poker tracker to help improve my game

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Interesting program. I've never heard of her. What else can you do with it?

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldnt call it "elementary" - i think it provides a solid basic strategy for the beginner.

Out of curiosity.. Doesnt elementary means exactly what you've just said?:confused:

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Out of curiosity.. Doesnt elementary means exactly what you've just said?:confused:

Elementary to me is far less interactive - this program is not just a simulation but more like a coach and will react to your play statistically offering you some basic strategy for the game.

Other "elementary" level programs for me would just use a one way instructional course to accomplish the same thing while this program never utilizes the same hands / runouts / actions, etc...

So for me, still no - not elementary. More like high school lol

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars