Why is OMAHA played only pot limit ?

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not expert on omaha poker by any means, but I think No Limit Omaha does exist...not 100% sure, but it certainly isn't as popular if it does. I've played very little (emphasis on very little xD) Omaha, but even after that bit I can see how the pots can quickly grow very fast. My guess is that Pot Limit Omaha is a way to control the pot a bit to make up for how many "monster hands" can be made in Omaha. I could have the nut straight and easily consider folding in Omaha lol No joke - watch someone turn over a Flush and another turn over a Full House xD

I guess dealt 4 cards instead of 2 changes a lot of things.

p.s. Someone more knowledgeable in Omaha please answer this thread because now I'm curious too :D

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
There is No Limit Omaha (all variants) as well. I personally prefer No limit versions.

It started with limit bets like in Stud and Razz. They introduced pot limited to drive up action. Give the fish a cheap price to see the flop and post flop bets it is not all in so the fish thinks they are getting the right odds. It also gives you the ability to chase those monster draws without having to go all in. All of it is just an effort to drive up the action.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
oh ok . didnt know that . i am a holdem player and i have played rarely pot limit omaha therefore i didnt know much about it . thank you :)

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is No Limit Omaha (all variants) as well. I personally prefer No limit versions.

It started with limit bets like in Stud and Razz. They introduced pot limited to drive up action. Give the fish a cheap price to see the flop and post flop bets it is not all in so the fish thinks they are getting the right odds. It also gives you the ability to chase those monster draws without having to go all in. All of it is just an effort to drive up the action.

Yeah, thanks for the information :)

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yes, Omaha is most popular w/a pot-limit but most sites will have a NL option. If you do not see it in the poker lobby check the filter, it may be set on pot-limit. GL, Baldy.

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As I think of it, nl Omaha not so popular because there is a lot of draws and difficult to evaluate your hand at the flop and you can't properly charge or pay for your hand since many turns and rivers can completely change the board having 4 cards instead of regular 2

B

bioman420

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
why not without limit?
I'm certainly not sure how to respond, but I already played an omaha tournament in which the pot had no limit, but I also played an omaha house that had a limit.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some sites offer No Limit OMAHA, Limit OMAHA, and Pot Limit, they play dramatically different from each other. The NL variant often is a shovefest. I think sites quit offering NL OMAHA because the good players were destroying the players who did not understand the math of the game.