Why limping is normally a bad idea

UberRogue

UberRogue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Couldn't believe my luck on this one. Villian limped and I was BB. Hit 2 pair on the flop. If he raised preflop I would of folded.

Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $20/$40 - 8 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: $930.00 (23 bb)
UTG+1: $5,520.00 (138 bb)
MP: $1,595.00 (40 bb)
MP+1: $1,500.00 (38 bb)
CO: $1,395.00 (35 bb)
BU: $1,703.00 (43 bb)
SB: $2,292.00 (57 bb)
BB (Hero): $1,735.00 (43 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($60) Hero is BB with 3 9
2 players fold, MP calls $40, 2 players fold, BTN calls $40, 1 fold, Hero checks

Flop: ($140) 9 3 J (3 players)
Hero bets $140, MP folds, BTN calls $140

Turn: ($420) 6 (2 players)
Hero bets $420, BTN calls $420

River: ($1,260) K (2 players)
Hero bets $1,135 (all-in), BTN calls $1,103 (all-in)

Total pot: $3,466 (Rake: $0)

Showdown:
BB (Hero) mucks 3 9 (two pair, Nines and Threes)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 34%, Flop: 71%, Turn: 82%, River: 100%)

BU mucks J 8 (a pair of Jacks)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 66%, Flop: 29%, Turn: 18%, River: 0%)

BB (Hero) wins $3,466

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stuff like that happens. But in general limping is a bad idea because you want to narrow the field to serious players with serious hands. That makes it a lot easier to guess what villain is playing and why he's playing it the way he is.

Limping is like entering a lottery. Everybody pays the same amount to enter and everybody has an equal chance of winning. Poker is a game of skill, albeit with a lot of luck involved.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This example is why limping is a bad idea - especially if your post flop skills aren't the best. Villain limps and lets you see a flop with garbage and then gets stacked with second pair. Lucky you.

IN8FI8NI8TY

IN8FI8NI8TY

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Nathan :icon_rr:

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was a bad idea to play preflop with J8o. Such a hand can and should be thrown away. The villain punished himself, entering the rally with a knowingly weak hand, and playing all-in with one pair without a kicker ...

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also limp very often,but in my experience,sometimes is better protect your cards even if you not take a big pot or cash depeands type of a game,I learn to bet when I havegood cards......

J

Joey1998

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What he did blew up in his face. Of course, he could have 3-bb raise and you would have re-raised and he still would have been screwed.
I hate limping in most cases.
Jb

nml

nml

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian is not a very good player. Should’ve raised preflop and taken it down. Then, he decides to float but then calls an all in shove with middle pair? Yikes

Good example of why pure bluffs are rarely a good play in low/micro stakes

F

FailX21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, limping with J8o is not a good play ^^

Limping is not always bad, but in general it's not a really good idea. For example, I like to limp with small pairs like 22, 33 and 44 if I have a good occasion (I won't do it if I know people after me are likely to raise afterwards). It gives a good occasion to flop a set !

elflake

elflake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will limp with hands that I don't want to call a re-raise to see a flop, like 7/8, 9/8 suited that I am playing for straights and flushes, or hands like K/J, Q/10 suited from early position. I raise as first in the pot from late position which helps my table image,( I play so tight I have trouble getting paid off on premium hands ). Limping is sometimes the correct play.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That is a lot of money bet with crappy hands. You've gotta feel good winning that one.

W

wampole

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I limp frequently in 6 player against hyper aggressive players who overbet their hands.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree

I have learned the hard way that limping isn't a very good idea. I can't count how many times I have limped and trapped myself into a big loss.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always love the moron who berates you for playing 9-3 afterwards,,,,Huh? :stupid: lol

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limping is only advised with small pairs and small cards.

D

danielcai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also limping with premium hands trying to trap your opponents is not profittable since you want a big pot with a big hand. However, I do think limping occasionally try to mix up you strategy does have advantages, because your play would not be that obvious to your opponents.

sissto

sissto

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with MattRyder.. Limping is just entering a lottery! I only limp if I have small pairs or something like this..

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in general limping is bad. Especially if you try to open limp. Sometimes its ok on sb but its a topic for another discussion. Mostly you should never open limp. On micro stakes overlimping is quiet ok, because you can see cheap flop and best cards to do that are small pocket pairs but I would do that mostly on SB. There is always a chance that some decent player will isolate you because he exactly knows what range do you have and it's of course weak range. So he can exploit you very easily. I think It's better to isolate a fish even with weak range and exploit him by cbetting or just fold preflop than throw some dead money into a pot.

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BB without extra investment got a great card and won.