Why is it called a donk bet

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bart Hanson from Crushlivepoker recently told, that he often get asked, why leading into the previous street aggressor is called a donk bet. As most probably know, "donk" is slang for a bad poker player. As a service to the communite I will share this hand, which illustrate, why its called donk bet. Hand is from a 5,5$ "big fish" tournament on 888 Poker. Me and the opponent both just sat down, which is why, we had the exact same stack of 30.000 chips less the ante. We were 120BB deep, and not much more to say or analyse here. Just watch the action and see, what happened on the river :D

CardsChat Poker Hands Converter

AllinIgor

AllinIgor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bart Hanson from Crushlivepoker recently told, that he often get asked, why leading into the previous street aggressor is called a donk bet. As most probably know, "donk" is slang for a bad poker player. As a service to the communite I will share this hand, which illustrate, why its called donk bet. Hand is from a 5,5$ "big fish" tournament on 888 Poker. Me and the opponent both just sat down, which is why, we had the exact same stack of 30.000 chips less the ante. We were 120BB deep, and not much more to say or analyse here. Just watch the action and see, what happened on the river :D

CardsChat Poker Hands Converter

That's crazy!
We have to be grateful that there are these types of players, which in the long run bring us a lot of profit.
However, I still wonder why people play this way, of course in micro limits this happens more often, but even so, we still see a lot of players "donks" at higher limits.
Good luck on the bro tables!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's crazy!
We have to be grateful that there are these types of players, which in the long run bring us a lot of profit.

Absolutely. I love donks :)

However, I still wonder why people play this way, of course in micro limits this happens more often, but even so, we still see a lot of players "donks" at higher limits.

The "big fish" on 888 are actually rather serious tournaments even the 5,5$ ones. 12 min blind intervals, 160 minutes of late registration, takes around 4 hours just to get in the money, usually pays around 800$ to the winner. So you would assume, someone buying into this particular tournament was getting ready to settle in for a long grind. And the vast majority are.

Here however we had someone, who was willing to donk away their entire stack in the very first hand. It was such a "WTF" moment, that I had to go back in the replayer to see, what on earth they had. Sucks for them obviously, that they were bluffing into the nuts. Or maybe they misread the board and thought, they rivered a straight? Was a fun one anyways, and it helped propel me to a small cash in the tournament :)

AllinIgor

AllinIgor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have noticed that in fact at 888 Poker, there are many players who say that theoretically "easier" to handle.

The "big fish" on 888 are actually rather serious tournaments even the 5,5$ ones. 12 min blind intervals, 160 minutes of late registration, takes around 4 hours just to get in the money, usually pays around 800$ to the winner. So you would assume, someone buying into this particular tournament was getting ready to settle in for a long grind. And the vast majority are.

Here however we had someone, who was willing to donk away their entire stack in the very first hand. It was such a "WTF" moment, that I had to go back in the replayer to see, what on earth they had. Sucks for them obviously, that they were bluffing into the nuts. Or maybe they misread the board and thought, they rivered a straight? Was a fun one anyways, and it helped propel me to a small cash in the tournament :)

AllinIgor

AllinIgor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope that next time you will be able to arrive first my friend, good luck!

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Wow, what a donation!!Good for you :)
Is this river lead still called a donk bet? I thought we call donk bet only the flop lead , I am confused :confused:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow, what a donation!!Good for you :)
Is this river lead still called a donk bet? I thought we call donk bet only the flop lead , I am confused :confused:

According to Wikipedia a donk bet is simply a bet into the previous street aggressor, before they have had a chance to act. So it can be made on the flop, turn or river, if you called out of position on the previous street. However it is possible, that in some poker circles it might originally have been used mostly for the situation, where someone call preflop out of position and then lead into the preflop raiser on the flop.

The flop is also the street, where good players have avoided donk betting most, although with recent outputs from solvers and AI programs that is now being challenged. Actually leading this particular river is not crazy, so its more their sizing and their hand, which makes this a true donk play :)

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
According to Wikipedia a donk bet is simply a bet into the previous street aggressor, before they have had a chance to act. So it can be made on the flop, turn or river, if you called out of position on the previous street. However it is possible, that in some poker circles it might originally have been used mostly for the situation, where someone call preflop out of position and then lead into the preflop raiser on the flop.

The flop is also the street, where good players have avoided donk betting most, although with recent outputs from solvers and AI programs that is now being challenged. Actually leading this particular river is not crazy, so its more their sizing and their hand, which makes this a true donk play :)

Thank you very much for the explanation and for your time.
I wish you similar pure runs and good luck at the tables fundiver199 :)

A

andrezito38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes we try to win the game on the strength of our bets, instead of observing the street we are getting into.
nowadays I have tried to avoid this type of "play".