Where to practice things like pot/implied odds/outs?

I

ihavea4

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all, I've been away from poker for quite a while now (mostly since black friday), and since I live in WA state, most forms of online poker are blocked for me. I'm thinking about moving to a different state soon though, and wanted to start studying poker again and try to find some local live poker or something too. The problem is, I haven't been around poker much for almost a decade now so the math and everything is super rusty at the moment. I don't really want to try to relearn this stuff in an actual game and take forever, so is there somewhere that I can practice these kind of things online or somewhere?

I'm thinking about calculating the pot odds vs outs/implied odds, and potentially getting into things like ranges. I get the feeling I either need to just deal the cards myself and come up with my own scenarios, or pay quite a bit for some of the poker training sites out there. Are there any other options I may be missing?

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think you'll gain much by frontloading all your basic poker maths studies. The maths itself is simple enough and I don't think you'll be needing more than a few sessions for it to stick. Once you've got access to a site, going over the calculations during hand analysis will be plenty of practice. If you really want to do some practice runs before sitting down you can literally grab some numbers out of thin air.

For the basic calculations, the paid training sites are definitely not worth it. The information you're looking for is available online for free or nearly free in books. Training sites might be worth the money if you like to study all aspects of poker, without going through the trouble of curating all the free resources yourself. Even then, you'll need to be playing decently high stakes for them to be worth it.

I

ihavea4

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That makes sense. I'm just starting to realize how much stuff is out there, both free and paid. And good tip about going over the math during hand analysis, I didn't even think about that. Thanks!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello.
I highly recommend you try our free course. It will help you to renew your knowledge and also gain new ones. Try it, I'm sure our course will be useful to you.
https://www.cardschat.com/become-a-winning-poker-player/
Good luck. :)

Very much agree with this. The course and in particular the videos is a perfect refresher and "getting up to date" for someone, who has been away from the game for a while. It also include topics like pot odds and implied odds. Also I would like to add, that even for players situated in the US, there are still places to play online poker. They are just operating from "offshore" locations, pretty much like all the sites were prior to 2011. This include sites like ACR and Betonline, which host CC freerolls.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I vouch for the CardsChat 30 Day Course as well, but my result in the freeroll for it makes me biased ;)

p.s. Even if it wasn't for that, I'd still recommend it though :)

IXIX

IXIX

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You can play on a couple sites online in Washington like ACR, BetOnline, and Brovada ,
BetOnline you can use a card to get money on your account but the other two you have to use crypto to get chips on your account

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
heres a KILLER tip
if you are calculating pot odds
Then you are behind and drawing
justifying your draw with implied odds, realistically.. you may not even get that implied value on the river when you do hit and your opponent folds to your value.
Be the guy with the pair betting big rather than the guy thats on a draw calculating if he should invest for a 20% chance to win on said investment

If you are on a draw
then learn about a thing called opponents fold equity
it will be your best friend
and duh RANGES!!!!!! LEARN THEM!!

gl out there kid

C

CourtJester

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's way too many free resources and books out there to render paid classes worthless. CC has some nice printable cheat sheets if memory serves.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator