Where, How & When do you study poker?

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm just interested to see how people are improving their game these days. Do you use software when you play online?

Last edited:
Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As someone newer to poker, I'm also interested in how other players improve their poker game.

For me, I don't use online software. In fact, I almost never play online and even when I do, it is usually just a substitute for a live game. Most of my current practice is from small homegames. Online I use more for reading poker articles, watching poker videos on YouTube or roaming the cardschat forums :D

I'm also curious how many players use software like holdem manager (I might consider something like this in the future, but like I said, I rarely play online) or programs like Flopzilla for study away from the tables. I don't have these resources yet: at what stage should I probably consider looking into these options?

I'd be greatly appreciative for any contributions in these two forum threads of mine:

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-software-tools-61/should-i-be-using-flopzilla-461532/

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-rooms-10/freerolls-in-u-s-a-where-462513/

Furthermore, how do you work on your own poker game CS238 ? After all, a cardschat "visionary" and 5 year member probably has more insight than I've got ;)

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's a good question, study are so important, no only in poker, but in our entire life, we can't be better without study, I currently try to play and understand what the players are think, and I come here to read some posts, I like the interaction on posts about some hand, these are great to learn a little, but at all I don't study, I tried the 30 day course from here, but I can't understand so well the english in audio, I prefer to read.

I like to see hand review on youtube, I think this are more easy to understand some spots, I have thinking about get a coach, maybe in the future, there are many good players here in the forum, play against them are good to learn.

BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read some books here and there. I have a few favorites that I come back to when I need a refresher after some time off. I also checked out the CardsChat book list for some newer stuff since it's been awhile since I played. Also, just playing hands and getting experience is good.

jleon_zat

jleon_zat

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see many streams and videos

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just watch video :) but I also go on my hold em manager once in a while, but taking notes while watching exclusive subscribed content has helped my game I hope :)

GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
CardsChat has courses and lots of threads to read opinions on certain hands etc. My husband has taught me quite a bit and coaches me during sessions sometimes if he's not playing, so Im very lucky in that way. If he is playing and we are sitting side by side I also like watching what he does. I use freerolls sometimes to experiment and learn by trying different things. Sometimes I'll just play 1 table just so I can keep reviewing the previous hand even if I was not in it just so I can see how it played out etc. Youtube and books too of course.

H

Hiritachi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I study while playing, watch streams, read literature

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I never use additional poker software. I just try to analyze my game, learn from my mistakes and improve my skills every day.

Jim Rivas

Jim Rivas

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm just interested to see how people are improving their game these days. Do you use software when you play online?
I don't use programs during my games, which would take away a bit of decision-making on my own and according to my reasoning, if I would use them in study sessions where I have the time to analyze the statistical results.:ciao:

F

Fernet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Study

Hello, I study every day for an hour even if it is at least, sometimes more depends on the time I have. I use notes and the Equilab. When I play I use a hud, regards.

S

sn0112

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The site that I currently play on has banned HUDs so I don't use software.

I have two screens but do not multi-table so will use the second screen to read/study something if playing in a more casual game such as a freeroll.

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
When I'm mucking about I will play almost anything depending on position and my assessment of an expected card range. Usually, in these small games someone will come right back at me with pretty much the same cards.
When a game means something I ask myself if I am playing optimally..this is now contingent on what the blinds are and their rate of increase. Like boxing, I'll make a few jabs here and there but for the most part I'll be conservative, will work to have a showdown and be observant looking for an opportunity to take players out in a satellite or work on a few players who I think are weak in an MTT. Afterwards I can compare these two approaches and also develop an optimal path in PT4 independently. After a sufficient sample set I can then search out specific players I've studied and use what I've learned..and what they've learned about me.:fight: