Where do I start?

V

Vivekg14

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,
I've been playing poker for a couple of years (badly) but in the last couple months or so have been trying to improve my game by speaking to a few people about how i've played certain hands. Starting to think about developing ranges and allocating ranges to players. Have been slightly more profitable but still a losing/break even player.

What should i start doing to improve my game? Enjoy both tournaments and cash but primarily tourneys. should i focus on hand analysis and go down a learn as you play route? or am i better off reading any particular books before i start

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I learned a lot just by reading posts here on Cardschat. The memebers here offer lots of great advice from time to time

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As Garfield said, lots of good info on here. Also lots of you tube videos out there breaking down hands. Of course there is always the tried and true books which you can probably get at your local library (yes libraries still exist). Try to read as much as you can but also play a lot for experience.

. freerolls are a nice way to practice with a chance at small cash with no risk. Just don’t develop bad habits copying players who go all in every hand.

Enjoy and good luck.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi all,
I've been playing poker for a couple of years (badly) but in the last couple months or so have been trying to improve my game by speaking to a few people about how i've played certain hands. Starting to think about developing ranges and allocating ranges to players. Have been slightly more profitable but still a losing/break even player.

What should i start doing to improve my game? Enjoy both tournaments and cash but primarily tourneys. should i focus on hand analysis and go down a learn as you play route? or am i better off reading any particular books before i start
Learning all concepts as much as possible about poker, knowing a little bit of concepts, your hand analisis can not to be so good.

V

Vivekg14

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As Garfield said, lots of good info on here. Also lots of you tube videos out there breaking down hands. Of course there is always the tried and true books which you can probably get at your local library (yes libraries still exist). Try to read as much as you can but also play a lot for experience.

. Freerolls are a nice way to practice with a chance at small cash with no risk. Just don’t develop bad habits copying players who go all in every hand.

Enjoy and good luck.

Thanks man...already watch a lot of youtube videos have learnt a lot. Any books in particular you would recommend? thanks

V

Vivekg14

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Learning all concepts as much as possible about poker, knowing a little bit of concepts, your hand analisis can not to be so good.

Completely agree. im trying to find a good place to start though...any recommendation?

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks man...already watch a lot of youtube videos have learnt a lot. Any books in particular you would recommend? thanks

There are many many out there. Most are very similar in how to play. The theory of poker by David Sklansky was always a must read. It’s a bit dated but I’m sure still relevant. Most of the pros have their own books (Negraneau, Harrington, Gordon, Brunson, etc ). I have Harrington on Holdem which I enjoyed but again a bit dated.

See what you can read for free first. I’m sure there are specific online books around as well.

V

Vivekg14

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many many out there. Most are very similar in how to play. The theory of poker by David Sklansky was always a must read. It’s a bit dated but I’m sure still relevant. Most of the pros have their own books (Negraneau, Harrington, Gordon, Brunson, etc ). I have Harrington on Holdem which I enjoyed but again a bit dated.

See what you can read for free first. I’m sure there are specific online books around as well.

Okay thanks for your help...after ive taken a look and read a few ill post back on the thread for anyone else in my position

J

JordieChloe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Harrington on cash Gams; Theory of Poker by Sklansky; Low Limit Hold'em by Sklansky and Malmuth are all good. Know what hands you are going to play from each position and go from there.

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
STARTER

Read books comment hands see videos read articles the game will improve but can stand firm and keep a own style of play you have better yield
:jd4:mateuspoker

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
STUDY, study hard, take 1 or 2 hours a day to study a little bit about poker, watch your tournaments, see where you are wrong, talk to friends, or here in the forum about plays, see the opniao of others in each action ..
I've created a goal, plan, set goals to accomplish, manage your bankroll, play whatever is allowed for your box, understand what happens at the table, study about human behavior, and finally buy a program like Hm2, or Pokertracker anger you help a lot. good luck buddy

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
really good place to start

Completely agree. im trying to find a good place to start though...any recommendation?
Have a look at Nathan Williams website....blackrain79.com. He has a free book..Massive Profit at the Micros which is a must read.
also subscribe to his newsletter...really good advice on lots of different situation. hope you enjoy

V

Vivekg14

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all the advice...i'll be setting up an MTT schedule whilst also studying a couple hours a day. will be starting in the next month after university exams are done. will come back and share my experience

C

CuddlyBobcat30

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you’re going to learn as you play I’d recommend sticking to freerolls to learn tournament dynamics, especially the freerolls they offer through this forum. CardsChat freerolls are a lot more beneficial to learn from than regular ones because they’re taken a little more seriously and players actually try; most normal freerolls you’ll find people making outrageous plays that honestly just don’t happen in regular games.

Another good way to become a better tourney player when starting out, in my opinion, is to learn cash game concepts first. Once you learn and practice enough of the dynamics that go on in cash games it will be easier to bring that knowledge over to tournaments, whereas the opposite isn’t true. There’s a lot of tournament strategy that is particular to tournament play style, so learning the intricacies of tournament play will be easier if you already have a solid foundation to build off of.
I recommend youtubers such as gripsed for tournament strategies, Doug Polk for GTO/ranges, and Andrew Neeme for cash games.

CullinanPoker

CullinanPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As the same type of player Ive found this thread valuable, thanks forum members!

P

pokersextreme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
See you already got tonnes of advice so study hard and good luck to you at the tables!