When should I limp from early and middle position?

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hi! The idea of just limp was never on my game, I think that it's because I feel a little bit exposed when I do it.
I use to limp in middle positions when I have two high cards, a low-middle pair, or maybe when I have correlative cards, suited or not.

In your case, when do you think is proper to limp?
Do you limp from earlies positions?

Edit: Also, do you change your strategy about limp between mtt, stt or cash games?

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Limp can be interesting, when you have the nuts or a premium hand and you know, that there will be
an aggressive raiser after you. Otherwise it makes no sense to limp in my opinion.

And actually, I like to limp only with a small field of players. Limping makes most sense for me, when I am in position or HU or 3-handed play.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Personally I think the limp in latish position, after an existing limper can be fine too. With maybe set mining hands, or suited connectors, or 2 high cards.

You should usually also be prepared to call a sml/med raise, and its especially useful if you have passive players in the blinds/button. The thing is to create your limp to be not just limp fold, so some cards you should even be limp shoving, if you have a particularly splashy player in the blinds.

However, in general limping once the blinds get medium/high is totally wasted chips, as it usually screams weak hand!!! I don't subscribe to the old philosophy of Limp=Fish. It can be an indicator, but can also be used, sparingly, as a solid part of your poker play.

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
When your poker legs don't work properly.

Why not, right? I like innovation and fearless people who can do stuff like this.

At the end of the day, do it whenever you feel like it. Don't listen to others and don't let anyone tell you what to do. Be yourself, pave your own path. Be the electric car in a polluted world. Do it the opposite way, see what happens.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I don't think that limping is a good idea, but there are some few cases when you have to, depending on the table dynamics, players to act behind...
Personaly I avoid limping, I try to make the pot bigger pre-flop and fight for it post flop. I'm kinda old school, if you enter a pot do it with a raise :)
I prefer to limp when there is already one limper in the pot and I have some poor holding, no need to make to pot bigger in those situations.

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are some interesting situations to limp in, when the table is passive and full of limpers Deep stack connected suited hands will gain great equity in mult way spots.
Also in situations as mentioned above short tables in some specific situations and also with premium short stack hands like trap . But it is not such a simple matter, you have to have an idea of the reaction of your opponents.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I limp when there are a lot of people raising already every hand. If I have a good hand I will limp and let them bet what I would originally bet. If they push too much, I will think about it and depending on blinds and chip stack fold.
If I limp like that and they raise not too big, I will call and let them bet the flop.
Easiest way to make the hyper aggressive pay.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Some professionals on different occasions are seeing the idea of limping as a good one. I read this in a very interesting article on a poker strategy site.
I was a player who limped a lot in various positions, including starting. But seeing that doing at least one miniraise gave me a better way of playing the truth that I hardly ever limp.
That way it could be that I do it in a very passive table and with a combination in suite with Ace hand that I only want to go see the flop.
The problem these pros had was when the other players at a moderately aggressive table realize you're a limp player. Because there they begin to attack you with 3 bets with bluffs included, and you generally fold.
Cheers;););)(y)(y)(y)

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the situation at hand.
9 person table or 6 person table...

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not a big fan of limping from early or mid position. Sometimes I may limp from the button or small blind against players that are very aggressive in hopes they 3 bet and I can 4 bet raise or jam depending on stacks.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi! The idea of just limp was never on my game, I think that it's because I feel a little bit exposed when I do it.
I use to limp in middle positions when I have two high cards, a low-middle pair, or maybe when I have correlative cards, suited or not.

In your case, when do you think is proper to limp?
Do you limp from earlies positions?

Edit: Also, do you change your strategy about limp between mtt, stt or cash games?
Answering

1- When the table is tight and the blinds are still low and cheap to see the flop;

2-With premium hands, to deceive, or with a hand/stack I could pay an eventual raise;

3- The limp strategy applied in tournaments at early stages (low speed/blinds time) and in cash games doesn't differ much. But anything goes at hyper turbo speed tournaments, high and fast blinds for low starting stacks at their early stages.

This is how I see.