When and how to make a Cbet?

Killdalimper

Killdalimper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually when Im the preflop aggressor I make a standard cbet on the flop (about 2/3 of the pot) and give up on turn unless my hand improves. Should we make a cbet when we're outta position ? should we make a cbet when there's more than one villain in the pot? Should we even cbet with air?
Lemme know how you usually cbet.
Cheers!

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My general strategy is-
1) C-bet more when the flop fits your perceived range

2) C-bet more against tight opponents

3) C-bet less when more players see the flop

4) C-bet more in position when it’s checked to you, but c-betting out of position is good too when 1 or 2 are true.

Killdalimper

Killdalimper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My general strategy is-

4) C-bet more in position when it’s checked to you, but c-betting out of position is good too when 1 or 2 are true.

Thanks.
Do you ever barrel on the turn when villain calls your cbet? and if so when and how? Though I highly doubt that I can pull this off in micros since people are too sticky at those stakes.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Micro Stakes Range reading

Usually when Im the preflop aggressor I make a standard cbet on the flop (about 2/3 of the pot) and give up on turn unless my hand improves. Should we make a cbet when we're outta position ? should we make a cbet when there's more than one villain in the pot? Should we even cbet with air?
Lemme know how you usually cbet.
Cheers!

Thank U 4 Posting

When asking about strategy suggestions you want to be specific to the games you are playing.
C-betting in micro stakes turbo tournaments is a far different approach than C-betting deep stack 50 NL cash games.

So when you ask what does X player do, they respond with a generic this is what to do or a I do X but they are playing mid stakes and in mid stakes villains will fold twice as often than in micros.

Often you will get the range response which is a great response but way less effective vs villains who are not even thinking what hand you may have forget about getting them to think what group of hands you may have.

So in micros C-betting involves never just betting once with air. You often have to convince the villain you have it. That takes 2 or 3 bets. Micro villains fold one pair 20% of the time by the river so the board you bluff had better be very scary for the villain. The problem is villains play any two cards so what is a scary board for a range that wide?

Add in a second villain playing any two cards and only folding any pair 20% of the time by the river. What you have is a recipe for over playing your bluffs.

Great news though. We can get value from one pair, sometimes for stacks 80% of the time.

So under the situation I describe above how might you build a C-betting strategy?

Just some thoughts

Hope this helps

:D:)

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also like to look at the villans fold to cbet and their VPIP and PFR for example if the villan is playing 50-2 they probably not calling every cbet, but if they are playing 8-6 they probably have a good hand.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to C-bet when:

1 - The flop hits my range regardless of position.

2- Against opponents who like to call preflop to see a flop, especially in position.

3 - Against tight players when the board missed their range.

If I hit a monster and think it hit my opponents range, I will mix up making a C-bet or not if I am out of position. It also depends on what I think will be more profitable against my opponent, do I lead and hope he raises?, Do I check back and knowing he will bet? Then plan my future streets as well.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My general strategy is-

These are all very good points. I also believe that you want to c-bet most flops to show that you aren't disinterested and keeping your play consistent. This will make it harder for players to pick up tells with bet sizes and c-bet reads.

Killdalimper

Killdalimper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These are all very good points. I also believe that you want to c-bet most flops to show that you aren't disinterested and keeping your play consistent. This will make it harder for players to pick up tells with bet sizes and c-bet reads.

Lets say we cbet most flops and villain calls most cbes, what do we do on turn? cause that's where I usually give up and fail to barrel.

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lets say we cbet most flops and villain calls most cbes, what do we do on turn? cause that's where I usually give up and fail to barrel.

That’s really player and board dependant but I think it sounds like you need to barrel more turns. Everyone knows c-betting happens a lot so they are happy to call with their draws and overcards etc but a turn C-bet looks a lot stronger and you’ll get a lot of folds. I would say fire another bullet more often when:

- you have some equity - draws/overcards/middle pair etc

- the villain calls a lot of cbets

- the villain isn’t a nit

- there are draws on the board that he could be going for that don’t complete on the turn

- when your image is solid