When to give a "free" card?

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is the situation: I have a pair of queens on the button. A player in the initial position opens with two blinds, I re-raise his bet and he pays. The flop comes j-2-8 of different color, nothing dangerous. He passes. I know that if I had a hand he would have bet, and I think that most likely he has A-x or KQ. I make a small bet and he folds. Was it well played, or should I have done slow-play? In what situations is it profitable to give our opponent a free card?

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you should consider the villain’s playing style. There are different patterns of player behavior. Someone likes to take risks and bluff. Who just calls every street hoping to get a nut. So it’s useful to consider the size of the player’s stack.

In this case, everything is played correctly. Your hand is not strong enough to let the villain get an Ace on the river ...

G

gwj63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with just queens I'm not giving a free card
usually I only give free cards if I flop a huge hand, then i'll check check bet the river if
no one has already

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There
You played right
No need to give any free card
Its you or him
He folded....good
Rgds

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you think your hand is good enough to win, the only way to save the pot is to let your opponent catch a pair or outs. In this case, you can lose the accumulated Bank on the river.

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the situation: I have a pair of queens on the button. A player in the initial position opens with two blinds, I re-raise his bet and he pays. The flop comes j-2-8 of different color, nothing dangerous. He passes. I know that if I had a hand he would have bet, and I think that most likely he has A-x or KQ. I make a small bet and he folds. Was it well played, or should I have done slow-play? In what situations is it profitable to give our opponent a free card?

You want to give him a free card? Go ahead. But later on don't cry for having a bad beat or something like that.
You can consider to give him a free card only when you have something big on the flop like a set or above. Other than that i think it would be not a wise thing to do. One A or K on turn or river can destroy your QQ supremacy if he was holding A-x or K-x.
In your case i think he was holding something below J and that is why he folded. If he was holding A-x or K-x he should have called as you made a small bet.

M

Mohamed reda bouzzroud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't give a free card in such a situation to be honest, and you played it nicely, if he had a AK this may have turned in his favor with an Ace in the river

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to flop the nuts or something close to it in order to give out free cards. Other wise your just giving them a chance to beat you.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
lol , personally I am very afraid to give a free card , I believe a flush will come up , a straight , the 3rd card to complete a set , a NONO from me , I feel better raising and if he has it already or if he calls and gets lucky , I will not be filled with remorse .
I talk about online micros .
Also they don't give me free cards , they bet when they have it , they bluff bet me when they don't have it , rarelly check-check , why should I give them free card :confused:Only if I have the absolute nuts , FULL HOUSE , QUADS !!!!:eek:....LOL.:D:D:D:D:D...........:p

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not like giving free cards except when I have the max game and I want my opponent to play his game so he agrees to pay my bets.

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well believe it's a way to get more chips when you're in front of your opponent's range and he would probably fold

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing scared and overbetting your good hands will never get you full value,,,, :deal:

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would not give a free card in this situation. It would be more likely that my opponent would catch and play a hand that would beat me, than they would to catch and play a hand that I could beat.

K

kiski

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If his calling range maybe 22 - KQs, you can give a free card. But why? He gave you after the flop so it would be a catch or just his waiting for a hand.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Checking to let villain catch second best.

Thank u 4 posting.

You want to check when your villain can make a hand on the turn that you still beat but villain will call with. You also want some clarity on what that hand would be.

This flop J 2 8: all turn cards we are beating are lower than the J. What are we going to get value from? The 10 or 9 are scare cards for us as we are holding QQ villain has few KQ's and many more J10 J9 108 98 1010 99 hands.

Also if our villain has 1010 and the turn is A or K we cannot even get value because villain could have a K or A or just fold 1010 when we bet.

If the flop was 8 6 2 and we check at least a J or 10 might call if one hits on the turn.

We can check the Jxx flop vs this kind of villain if we think the villain will call turn with Ax hands but this player mucked to a small bet so that is unlikely. Therefore we would be taking a very large risk for a very small chance of getting value on this flop.

Hope this helps

:):)