when to c bet?

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So you raised pre flop then missed the flop and you are wondering whether to check or C bet. What factors decide which way you go?

Z

ZARGA123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pay attention to position and type of plauers involved in the pot then C-Bet boards where your hand could evolve on the 2 remaining streets anyway start with a Good hand we miss the flop most of the time

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually c-bet missed flops against players who are passive.

Against a calling station I will likely not fire unless board looks favorable to my range.

Against aggro-maniac I'm not betting either.

If there are multiple people after the flop I will generally check missed flop.

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there are only two factors for you to bet on, or for value or bluff .. Only this, then bet according to your play and against whom you are playing! Also math will help when deciding this, for example, 70% of the time no one hits the flop! That's all the more reason to get out of bed!

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thanks! What about flop textures? Are you more likely to c-bet some flops given you missed?

I

itsandyslife

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there are so many factors to consider:
What's your position?
What's your opponent's position?
What's your stack?
What's your opponent's stack?
Does your opponent normally play aggressively or passively?
What's your table image?

And that's before you even look at your cards and flop.
Do you have a flush draw?
Do you have a straight draw?
Do you have over cards? You can semi bluff cbet.

There are other factors to consider but these are some of the main questions to ask yourself before you should consider a cbet bluff.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, we must start from the flop. If the structure is good, then you should bet, if the flop is more suited to the opponent's range, then it's better not to bet. Much depends on what. The size of the stack. Stage of the tournament. Pressure from the prize money. Your reputation. Reputation of an opponent. Style of the game of the opponent. Your position. And so on. :eek:

ingybingy

ingybingy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really depends on the board.... very coordinated vs. dry boards. Need to be able to c-bet cordinated boards, not as much for dry boards

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That depends what you raised preflop with. Be it AK or AQ or something of the like. Some times a c bet is actually betting the best hand if the other players check to you in late position. If someone check raises you maybe fold unless you have some type of draw that you feel might come through. like 4 to a flush,etc...

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I thnk with a lot of situations in poker, this one is: it depends.

For me, it depends alot on how the action has gone just before the hand. I.e., what's my image. What do I know about villain's calling range?

If in position, I will usually cbet, especially if there are a large number of hands that could improve my hand on the turn. For example, if I raised in position with AQ of diamonds. The flop comes Jd3c8h. I am betting this for sure because any diamond improves my hand, and a T or K will give me a gutshot draw.

If I bet and get called, and one of those cards come on the turn to give me a draw, I will just check because on a relatively dry flop, if villain called he probably is still ahead of me on the turn.

If I am OOP and I raised preflop with a strong hand, I will cbet. If I get called, I slow down and I don't mind folding.

I am talking about cash games now.

In a tourney it really depends on stack size. Late in tourneys I am either committing everythng before the flop or I am just looking to steal the blinds cheaply. I am not calling down multi-streets with a mediocre hand.

C

Cashcards

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thats all about cards and the opponents behaviour

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks! What about flop textures? Are you more likely to c-bet some flops given you missed?
Again, if there is a chance for you to improve on a missed flop, say you have a draw or even 2 over cards and you have a read on the opponents that there is a good chance they missed or are weak, then c-bet.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes that's good advice, thanks!

Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you for example raise pre flop with AKo, and nothing on the Flop you better C bet and take it right there. Its not that easy but sometimes you can buy the pot.

ingybingy

ingybingy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you for example raise pre flop with AKo, and nothing on the Flop you better C bet and take it right there. Its not that easy but sometimes you can buy the pot.
I feel as if that isn't going to work a lot if it is a super coordinated board. Sometimes a check/raise may be better.