Whats the Fundamentals Every beginner should know???

Ritros

Ritros

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone!

I am not new to poker, but I want to up my game a bit. Overall, I would consider myself a decent player at small stakes ($1/$2 NLH and small buy in tournaments), though honestly I'm probably closer to break even than winning. I want to put some solid time and effort into my game and, especially since I'm more or less a self taught player, I want to make sure I have a solid foundation to build up my skills upon.

If you were to teach a beginner how to play winning NLH (after they learn hand rankings and the flow of the game), what would you teach them?

Pot odds/Implied odds? Starting Hand Theory? Bet Sizing? What Else?

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey everyone!

I am not new to poker, but I want to up my game a bit. Overall, I would consider myself a decent player at small stakes ($1/$2 NLH and small buy in tournaments), though honestly I'm probably closer to break even than winning. I want to put some solid time and effort into my game and, especially since I'm more or less a self taught player, I want to make sure I have a solid foundation to build up my skills upon.

If you were to teach a beginner how to play winning NLH (after they learn hand rankings and the flow of the game), what would you teach them?

Pot Odds/Implied odds? Starting Hand Theory? Bet Sizing? What Else?
Pick up a great book on the game that has most of what you need: Excelling At No-Limit Hold'em by Jonathan Little.

Has a ton of good fundamental information for newer players.

HypnoT0AD

HypnoT0AD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Theory of Poker By David Sklansky is also a good read, it has info on other games in addition to NLHE.

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Set a range of Open Raise, 3Bet, 4Bet, Cold Call. Set size bets.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would check out Jonathan Little's beating small stakes poker. The book will teach you a lot of the basics you may not be thinking about and will also get you into thinking like a deep level player. I think this is his best book and was really surprised at the value of information i learned from the book.

NinjaHands

NinjaHands

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone!

Read the Strategy Articles here on Cardschat: https://www.cardschat.com/poker-strategy.php

Also, everything fundamental is mentioned or explained here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrNnyWekagMpkljGANXALnZcmLanFwHU

P

ps_komaklos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Study. Play. Analyse your Play. aso
I also think it is important to read and not only watch videos. Take notes, rethink, and with all the information out there be critical about it, theres stuff thats too old or you have to to change/adapt some parts of it.
Oh and what i think is really important: don't overwhelm you with you much info and new concepts and get confused about it. Try to focus and adapt step by step. i.e. learn about cbetting and focus on that while playing, get comfortable with it, then take on the next part of your game.

D

danielcai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the most important thing is starting hand+position, knowing what starting hand you should play at each position could make your life so much easier in post flop situation

S

stevenparker91

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I had to pick one thing in particular, it would be position. It's the most simple to learn, overlooked the most, and is a very important aspect of the game. Other than that I would like to analyze the guys play and see what his weaknesses may be

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you feel pleasure from a game only when you win money, then poker obviously not for you. It is very simple to lose motivation to play and study if you have no passion to poker. Actually it is right for any profession. If you do not love, what do you do, your life shortly begins to turn into hell. To achieve success in poker, you have to love not win, but also all those difficulties and tasks which are set for you by a game. Be engaged in what is pleasant to you, and success will not keep itself waiting!

NinjaHands

NinjaHands

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone!

I would focus on the fundamentals of how to play: Position, Aggression, Selection.
Position isn't the most important aspect (IMO Aggression & Selection are more important), but it is SO overlooked.

IMO, the best series is this:
How to Win at POKER: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrNnyWekagMpkljGANXALnZcmLanFwHU

N

noobydooby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my experience, you can generally make an informed decision on what to do in a hand if you take into account your hand strength/range, position, stack size relative to the bb and pot, pot odds, and the information you have on your opponents.

That may seem like a lot. But, honestly, when you play a lot it all becomes second nature. Keep studying and learning, and make sure to go back and review significant hands that you've played. You'll improve if you study, play, and analyze your play afterwards.

Hope that helps!

D

da22duke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most important starting step is setting a good starting hand selection and realizing how to play them in position

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the most important fundamental would be not to risk more than you can afford to lose. I find that my next bit of advice would be to look at a lot of hands early on when the blinds are low. If you can see a flop for just a BB early on I think you should do it. This is when any 2 cards can win. Then just put the time in and get the feel of things and get so you can trust your instincts.:D:D

B

babboonnexx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it helps to know that small pocket pairs pre flop only have a 1/7 chance in becoming three of a kinds. I see a lot of beginners over play their pocket pairs

Katyushka4

Katyushka4

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You need to learn bankroll management, that to avoid losing your bankroll. Find examples of its creation and build your own. To do this, you need to determine what risks you are willing to take, that to set limits on what stakes you will play.

fiddlesticks123

fiddlesticks123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with everything here. I would add patience and temperament along with a solid preflop game and an understanding of position. Lastly, you gotta know when to fold em.

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As most players would agree,poker is like life in so so many ways.latest example I found this morning when I thought about the term "equity" I don't study so only have a general idea what it means.the realisation hit me that if we spend our 15-30 seconds thinking about equity,position,bet sizeing,player info,odds,bubbles,c-bets and so on then maybe we are in turn ignoring or even numbing down our instinctual god given sixth sense as they call it just like all the modern day hustle and bustle and bling bling distracts us from our true spiritual awareness and possibilities.so I guess I'm saying sometimes its better to trust your gut than to analyse and calculate and waste precious time figuring out something we already intuitively know deep within ourselves....sometimes :)

J

james bright

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey everyone!

Do the cheapest buy ins because you will lose money for years before you can actually start winning on a basis.in a cash game i recomend no more than a 20 buy in on a cash game and online no bigger than a 5 bankroll in a cash game or tourny buy in and especialy dont drink alcohol while playing!with that said good luck!

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Knowing how to manage your bankroll. Grow it slowly and not playing over it. If you don't have money you can't improve how much or fast you could.

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Positions, Hand selection, Bet sizes, Betting reasons and play tight...