What is your "Study to Play Ratio"

P

Pokerton

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm trying to find some balance, currently I am playing about 95%-100% and reading advice as I play - probably a giant mistake to take away my focus from the grind. But I know I need to pull away from the computer (or table) and read a book or go do a training site. What kind of balancing do you guys do?

How do you incorporate studying into your routine?

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I play some and study after I play for about an hour. I like to read posts that others have made about poker. I also read poker books to try and improve my game. But lately it seems like a waste of time. I don't feel like I'm improving at all. I've tried to tighten up and it hasn't help any. Oh well I guess I will keep trying to improve.

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play 30 hours a week on average and study for another 10 hours on top. With about 7 hours of my study being hand history review and the other 3 spent on strategy relevant to leaks I've found in my game.

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
approximately. Sometimes the last digit is a 2 or a 3 :)

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when I learned to play poker, I tried to play more on freerolls so as not to lose my money, I tried to watch more what mistakes I make in the game and which cards play and how to play on good pairs or combinations, now for 5-7 years of playing I play poker and make less mistakes and understand more in a poker game, and when my card plays well and I win somewhere and it’s very good for me that I make a profit, it’s better to learn more and better poker rules so you can play later win good money in tournaments or in cash games!

Marctowin

Marctowin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"I currently play about 95%-100%."

from what? If you make a profit of 95% of every game, then why do you need advice?

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was the same i learned through the repitition of play which is an essential part to learning.But playing only familiarizes you with the actions other people take and what the actions mean along with hand reading.So i would certainly get a grasp of the basic concepts like ranges and position otherwise the learning curve is far more costly.I would put say 80/20 play to study to begin with the basics really shouldn't take much more than a few weeks to get a rudemintary to decent understanding of. Spend a few hours studying then let your brain process the information to let it sink in then put it into practise and just keep working on it.The information and poker tools available to you are unbelievable so take advantage of it all.You can learn far more in 6 months that took me the best part of 10 years to learn with the right approach.

Last edited:
infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Unfortunately, I also do not have enough time to study. But if there is a free moment, I always try to read books and watch videos on my smartphone.

John Turnner

John Turnner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do only on Monday and Tuesday, analyze the hands played. I was trying to figure out if I could play the other or how much he had deviated from the standard range. or push fold.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually try and spend the first half hour of my poker day looking through the forums or watching youtube videos to overall improve my game play then after my session I'll spend half an hour or so looking over the numerous hands I feel I misplayed or had questions about. I always seem to have more hands to review than time to review them but I guess that's just part of the process of improving my game!

P

Pokerton

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
"I currently play about 95%-100%."

from what? If you make a profit of 95% of every game, then why do you need advice?

No no, I mean to say that if I have 100 minutes, 95 of those minutes are me playing and 5 are reading up on the game. Which I feel like is a little low for study time.

M

Millie232

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do 2:1 - studying two hours for every hour I play. I'm really looking to improve my game at the moment, and it's helping a bunch - I at least mincash in just about every tournament I've played for the last month or so and usually make a decent amount of money.

D

Deemajor44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like watching pros play on youtube and rarely on twitch but just for fun. I never study anymore its all memorized from playing so long. When i first started years ago o just learned from freerolls and play money and used one of the cards you get out of a deck of cards showing all the possible hands lol! I love playing though much more in person than online.

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I learned to play poker, I also thought about this issue. I don’t remember where I read the article where the 3: 1 ratio was a reference point (game: training). Gradually it became a habit.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am currently spending an hour going through RYE and an hour or so reviewing hands a day and analyzing spots. Then playing as much as I can.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be frank, I'm done studying. Doing the best I can, trying to remember strategies. Ending up mostly playing the table.

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ill just say 100% lol im sure you get the gist,and it sounds better that way.

Rumengh

Rumengh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
If you are a new player needs to learn the rules and basic strategies would otherwise zagubite.Kakto said first theory and then practice a lot of players make this mistake and then pay sharks and earn :Dmy advice is read all about poker and then play:)

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I have a similar problem. Sometimes, instead of reading a book or article, I start playing poker. I think that the optimal relationship is 70% practice, 20% training and 10% self-analysis.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the beginning when you need to learn the basics i think that even 50:50 ratio is ok. Later when you have some knowledge play to learn ratio of around 3:1 or 4:1 looks ok to me.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I were to get a HUD, I would probably utilize it to tag hands to review later. I'm probably in the 95% play range with 5% study. I also don't take poker as seriously as many here. I play maybe 2-4 sessions a week and never more than a 5-6 hour session.

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I thought studying was something you were supposed to do in school. Although it was some time ago I seem to recall I didnt like school much.

VMVarga

VMVarga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought studying was something you were supposed to do in school. Although it was some time ago I seem to recall I didnt like school much.

Well, that is a shame, because clearly no one ever taught you the philosophy of always being a student.

“Do you know the secret of the true scholar? In every man there is something wherein I may learn of him; and in that I am his pupil.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson

Those who commit to an endless will to learn are bound to be more successful and wiser than they would have otherwise been, and are likely to be steps ahead of their peers and contemporaries.

As far as poker study goes, I don't think you always have to be reading books and theory in order to be "studying." You can always spend some time watching others play--it works with and without hole cards exposed, but is undoubtedly more fun to watch with the cards exposed. And one of the few poker books that I have read more than once, and one that I like to go back to in order to step outside my own head and instead view the game from another perspective is Every Hand Revealed.

Humans really like to fall into patterns and habits of behavior, of which they often find difficult to break or stray from. Just think about all the small habits and behaviors that you might engage in throughout your daily life. I get up every day and drink coffee, never thinking about it as one of those habits. I eat similar things all the time, which is so common amongst humans that we have a name for it: the diet. And when you "go on a diet" you are really just changing your daily eating habits to only healthy, reasonable size servings of food. Many of us even wear the exact same work clothes everyday, weather it is a suit and tie, or the uniform of anything from a cop or firefighter to a mechanic or fast food worker. We buy the same products, like deodorant, toothpaste, toilet paper, dish soap. We don't usually try new brands or new scents/flavors that often, if ever. We fall into what is recognizable and familiar, because what is familiar is comforting, and to simplify the human condition a bit, all we are trying to do in life is make ourselves more comfortable.

Being hyper aware of your own habits can help you avoid becoming highly exploitable. But how exactly do you change the habits and behaviors that can sometimes seem damn near rooted in your dna? That's where things get a bit more difficult, in my opinion; it always seems harder to me to actually change the habits rather than just identify them.

I think one of, if not the main reason I go back to my books and the videos of old and recent tournaments (the MDS replay on PS is also helpful) is because I have always felt that being a student and an observer can really help me gain a new perspective, which can help when trying to think of ways to break certain habits that I have at the tables. I sometimes see the same bad habits in other players and I can see where they went wrong and get ideas about what not to do next time in a certain situation or line. Sometimes I just get ideas for where I need to be raising instead of calling, checking instead of betting, and so on. Studying can help me evolve, and that is what I am constantly trying to do. I want to keep advancing and growing as a player, so that some day in the future, when I finally make my jump to mid stakes and bigger live tournaments, I will have all the experience I need to be a winning player.