What would be your recommended study/play ratio.

E

erikv99

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I was wondering what you guys think the right study to play ratio would be for someone playing nl2. I feel like i study maybe 1 hour every 6 or so i play and i think i should raise this.

Any thought, advice or tips?

Info: i am currently playing nl2 at a 15bb/100 over 30k hands. I recently took a shot at nl5 but played awefull and found it rather hard. Currently back at nl2 rebuilding bankroll for my second shot at nl5.

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Welcome to CardsChat erikv,

It is really a question of how much and in what ways your brain can handle new stuff. Only you know the answer to that. If there are weak areas in your play then studying is certainly a good thing.

Are you going to study on the same days you are going to play, or do it on different days? It comes down to your personal preferences. What are the best ways for you to learn, what time of the day works best, and so on.

Try something. There is no need to set up artificial time frames/barriers. You do what works best for you.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your goal is to progress through the stakes without depositing your study to play ratio doesn't matter all that much. The only requirement is that you're a winning player at the stake you're playing.

My advice if you're a winning player at NL2 currently is just focus on volume while building your bankroll. Try to play during high traffic hours (mostly weekends and evenings depending on the site you play at and where you're located). If you have some free time outside of that timeframe you can spend it studying the game.

If you're currently a losing player at NL2 spend about 50% of your poker time studying. Your play sessions also should be focused on implementing the ideas you studied.

While moving up the stakes you'll plateau eventually. It's a good idea to fall back on the 50/50 study/playing split.

At the end of the day just do what you enjoy. If you really like playing the game and you're not losing huge amounts of money I don't really see a reason why you should change anything.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Certainly, I think it is better to increase the ratio of study.

After playing for 3 hours, study for 1 hour. That's about it.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hi,

I was wondering what you guys think the right study to play ratio would be for someone playing nl2. I feel like i study maybe 1 hour every 6 or so i play and i think i should raise this.

Info: i am currently playing nl2 at a 15bb/100 over 30k hands. I recently took a shot at nl5 but played awefull and found it rather hard. Currently back at nl2 rebuilding bankroll for my second shot at nl5.[/QUOTE

Welcome to Cardschat. You will find this answer will vary widely and a lot of time is due to where a player is of what type of person they are. I dont think there is a standard rule. When I 1st started playing my study to play ratio was about 2 play to 1 study. Even today it is about 3-1 ratio. Just remember, as long as you are studying your ahead of the game.

The one tip, Critically review your play. Many people will blame luck or bad players for there losses. I smart good player will look and see how they could have loss less or even won the hand. Many time I said I was unlucky and then review my play and realize I should have folded the hand.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I think if you find at least 30-40 minutes a day to study, then it will be just great. But I think the main thing in learning is not time, but your ability to concentrate, perceive the material and apply your knowledge in practice.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont know what the right answer is, but the more you study the more you will improve your game. Think about how much pro athletes practice vs the actual amount of time they compete.

A

arsenalcho_1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi

I study for an hour or two a day and then I record tournaments at the tables, at least for me

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello good afternoon bro and welcome to Cardschat first.
In my case I usually play 4 hours a day, I am a NL2 player at the moment and for the rest of the day I dedicate myself to watching videos, studying, and seeing my hands, how I could have played them better. That is my humble advice for the moment I can give.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think what I have heard is a 80% play 20% study ratio. I guess it also depends on how new to the game you are. The newer might need more study.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,

New Player: 80% study, 20% play
Got the basics player trying to learn how to win: 50% study 50% play
Good winning player: 20% study 80% play

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
STUDY WHEN YOU HAVE FREE TIME. You can study with just a smart phone. You can put some of the best poker books on your phone and read them when you have time commuting or on breaks from school/work. There is also a lot of good poker information on YouTube. If you are waiting for ANYTHING you can just take out your phone and read.

Last edited:
P

pwalker4201977

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any book by Doyle Brunson. He’s got a couple of them n they are all good. He really breaks down the game so u can improve ur game by just following a few simple rules. You have to be patient n wait for ur spot, when you finally get it; it is really simple to play against idiots