What is VPIP

L

Liru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen many poker videos and don't understand what the VPIP means, is it an important factor in poker? What is a good VPIP or is it bad?

D

derpaderp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Liru,
Like I explained on another thread VPIP is a term used by the PokerTracker software. If you don't use the software VPIP has very little use to you.

If you want to know more about VPIP I suggest you read the following article:

https://www.thepokerbank.com/articles/software/vpip/

This is pretty sufficient an answer. Basically it's the frequency at which you'll play hands. You can roughly equate this to the same x% of starting hands, which a poker calculator can show you. The exact ranges from player to player can vary, but this will give you a good estimate of what kind of hands villain plays. E.g., 10% VPIP is much tighter than 40% VPIP, and the 10% range of hands likely contains lots of pocket pairs, broadways, etc.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
basically if your in a 5-6 hour tourney late say 50 players left vpip you want above 20% at that time...... or that is what i shoot for 24% of hands as an average.... means i have voluntarily put in the pot 24% of hands..... if a lot lower means im struggling and a lot of times is ok to shove to add more chips if way above it means im hitting a ton of hands and to bully if possible

to see what others are doing vpip is important but you need a large amount of hands to be sure of the player type if is 100 hands and is high vpip villain could be very aggressive or could be very hot I dont like to use pt4 for under 1k hands live play i usually turn off pt4 honestly and only use to make sure im playing my hand history correctly not soo much on what some other villain is doing primarily cause i only play one table vs that villain at a time and i can read their history without a hud so im comfortable about my reads without stats on how they are playing vs me if we been on same table a bit....

in america is honestly less poker rooms so I feel can honestly know most opponents with /without notes from my history of over 15 years of online play

but if dont have history can see how they are playing pretty quickly and will act accordingly and color code them or note them