What Poker books really help improve play?

Z

zkel1980

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have enjoyed playing poker for a while now and when playing live poker I've always done pretty well in tournaments. I haven't done quite as well online, but, still not too bad. I am currently reading The Theory of Poker by David Sklansky and have got Phil Hellmuth - Play Poker like the Pros. I would now appreciate any of you guys recommending books to me.

Mason Pye

Mason Pye

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would recommend to you the Harrington On Hold-Em series of books. These books are about tournament play of which may be a little outdated, but some parts can still apply to today's game. The first book focuses on playing styles, starting requirements, reading the table and how to play each of the streets. The second book analyses the maths behind the game and the later stages of tournaments. The third and final book is a workbook where Harrington puts you in many scenarios and you have to decide what's the best play or decision based on the situation. What's great is that you can look at the answers and see if you were correct or not. Hope this helps.

bezobrazny

bezobrazny

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never read any poker book in my life. The game is really simple. ;)

skull89

skull89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't read any poker book.
I prefer to watch online coachs and discuss hands with friends. That's improved my game very much.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on what game, variants, online or live, cash or tourneys, etc you want to play.

For live tournaments, surely Harrington on Holdem books suits that game.

P

penkov1990

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i`d read lets play poker- it`s very interistinf, the game is not simple, but is interesting when you know how to play. Poker tv shows are very helpfull

Z

zkel1980

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would recommend to you the Harrington On Hold-Em series of books. These books are about tournament play of which may be a little outdated, but some parts can still apply to today's game. The first book focuses on playing styles, starting requirements, reading the table and how to play each of the streets. The second book analyses the maths behind the game and the later stages of tournaments. The third and final book is a workbook where Harrington puts you in many scenarios and you have to decide what's the best play or decision based on the situation. What's great is that you can look at the answers and see if you were correct or not. Hope this helps.
This was a very helpful answer and I've now invested in these books, thank you "be "lucky"

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Poker Mindset by Ian Taylor and Matthew Hilger. This is an often overlooked book that approaches the game from a mental and emotional angle. My favorite read over any skills and statistics book. Highly recommended.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Killer online poker by John Vorhaus took my game to a whole new level, there are a few books in this series and they are available on Amazon starting at $1.50. I was able to get them from the public library. There are quite a few others out there but I think these are the absolute best. He discusses the game deeper than simple starting hands and position plus it is geared to the internet game and goes in depth about the different games available online, such as ring game v tourneys. I re-read it every few years and after I do I seem to always improve.

M

Mantones

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try Dan Harrington books,they are very good or also you can read the one from Negreanu,it gives little psychological tricks that can help you improving skills :) Have a nice day

robertocoelho

robertocoelho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you, I'd rather see review of hands made by poker pro

I didn't read any poker book.
I prefer to watch online coachs and discuss hands with friends. That's improved my game very much.

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read a lot of books of David Sklansky, and it is really helped me to be a better player than I am, try to find more books in the internet and do not forget to read articles, it can be useful too.

C00T

C00T

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try Mike Caros site. poker1.com He also sells good poker books on his site. But if you read everything hes wrote you got a good start.

ribbybruno

ribbybruno

Skadoosh!!
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Read Super System

This is a good book! Doyle Brunson makes this easy to comprehend.

I have also read Amarillo Slims book - In a World Full of Fat People :)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Try searching the Cardschat forum. There are many threads suggesting poker books to read.

D

Dan Henry

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly

ANYONE OF THEM..if you want to be a great poker player read as many as you can. mark certain things ie. pages that you think you need to study..even the slow ones or maybe just a book about poker or a movie. Knowlege is power the more you have the better off you are.

Super system.. a must.. outdated but usefull

Caro's Book of Poker tells.. a must for live players

Every Hand Revealed Gus Hansen...a good read

A Poker Player's Guide to MIXED GAMES..for everyone that plays home games

Positively Fifth Street..A great story it is one of my favorite books

That is just a few. I say grab one that clicks to yah and start reading and don't ever stop....exept to play poker hehe!

A

Andres_0

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Super system by Doyle Brunson is one of my favorite books of poker

therealslomo

therealslomo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exelling at no limit hold'em by Jonathon Little is an excellent book.

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can give you advise! Stop read poker BOOKS and start read poker articles! But there are several book you NEED to read when you start play.

1. Bit the micros
2. Super System

Space Ghost

Space Ghost

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Harrington on Holdem.

This may sound like a commercial, but it's true:

I played in my first live MTT and sucked. I read Harrington on Holdem, went back and finished in 3rd. (I got sucked out on. :( )

It's a must-read.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I can give you advise! Stop read poker BOOKS and start read poker articles! But there are several book you NEED to read when you start play.

1. Bit the micros
2. Super System

BAD advice ^ (I don't even know why you even give advice:confused: you're pretty terrible at the game)

Harrington on Holdem.

This may sound like a commercial, but it's true:

I played in my first live MTT and sucked. I read Harrington on Holdem, went back and finished in 3rd. (I got sucked out on. :( )

It's a must-read.

Good advice

A

anteupcowboy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
"No-Limit Hold 'em: Theory and Practice" by Sklansky and Miller is hands down the best book I've read to date and as long as the rules of no-limit holdem don't change then the knowledge you'll pick up in this book will always be very useful.

S

SlavaUa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sklansky and Harrington's books are best of all, but for more you shoud to see all TV prog. or Internet sourses.

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Live poker

I would recommend that you read or get audible versions of Reading poker tells by Zachary Elwood and Verbal Poker Tells by Zachary Elwood. Both books are great and I guarantee after reading you you will see behaviors at the poker table that you were missing before and make more $.