What are the odds of a flush over a flush in poker?

P

PokerSki

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let's say both players have suited cards. What are the odds of a flush over a flush in poker?

P

PSSucks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
According to one source:

Two players at a 6-max-table are dealt suited cards and both flop a flush 0.0770% or 1:1,298
Two players at a full ring table are dealt suited cards and both flop a flush 0.1847% or 1:540

But that's for flopping, so we have assume the odds are better for them just getting one by the time the river is dealt.

Last edited:
F

findybaby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It doesn't matter how many players are playing. the odds of both filling a flush are the same. The winner is the one with the highest one

P

PokerSki

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not asking if they both flop a flush, I am asking what are the odds if both have a flush by the river.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Let's say both players have suited cards. What are the odds of a flush over a flush in poker?

Depends on what kind. At hold 'em it will be greater than stud because of the community cards, although with stud you can have flushes in two different suits, and are most likely to.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This might be a great Trivial Persuit question. But if you want to make money in poker, what you really need to estimate is the risk, your opponent has a higher flush, when you have a flush yourself, and you face a non-favourable action like a raise on the river. And this will depend on a lot of things like board texture, previous action, number of people seeing the flop and of course the strenght of your flush. A hand like 43s is much more likely to get overflushed than K9s. Its basically a hand reading situation, and if your opponents range consist of 80% better flushes, and you face a large raise, then you should fold, no matter how statistically likely or not a flush over flush situation might be in general.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Roughly 24.45:1 against or about 3.93%.

I am not sure how useful that number is, though. But it is the number of ways there can be 3 flush cards, plus the number of ways there could be 4 flush cards, plus the number of ways there could be 5 flush cards over the number of ways to deal 5 cards from the 48 remaining cards.

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been getting knocked out of tourneys often recently after flopping a flush only for my opponent to have flopped a bigger flush. Frustrating indeed.

T

tourpro99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The odds of getting beat by a higher flush are definitely lower if you don't play all those lower suited hands! Stick with the high suited ones and you'll get that occasional sting a lot less often :)

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Roughly 24.45:1 against or about 3.93%.

I am not sure how useful that number is, though. But it is the number of ways there can be 3 flush cards, plus the number of ways there could be 4 flush cards, plus the number of ways there could be 5 flush cards over the number of ways to deal 5 cards from the 48 remaining cards.
Love your sig. :rofl:

:top:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The odds of getting beat by a higher flush are definitely lower if you don't play all those lower suited hands! Stick with the high suited ones and you'll get that occasional sting a lot less often :)

Exactly. Small suited connectors or 1-2 gappers are losing most players a ton of money. They look so pretty, but in reality they dont perform well, especially if you play them passively and end up in a multiway pot, as a lot of people do. 5 people saw the flop, you turn the 5 high flush, and there is heavy action behind you. What do you think, at least one of your opponents have? A HIGHER FLUSH of course. Or at best they have the nut flushdraw, and another flush card comes on the river killing your hand and causing you to lose an enormous pot.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been getting knocked out of tourneys often recently after flopping a flush only for my opponent to have flopped a bigger flush. Frustrating indeed.
Don’t play low cards🙄

Full Flush Poker Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator