What are the most common mistakes that a poker player can make?

francisco mendoza

francisco mendoza

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my years as a poker player, I think that the lack of concentration and the inflated ego always play against you, playing with distractions, music, television, social networks or a simple call, are enough to cut our concentration, it only takes a blink to make a mistake, underestimating your rivals can cause you big losses, there is no small rival in the world of poker.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well, also when you play drunk, tilt and the game is not on the bankroll, there are many factors

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Arrogance. Fear. Not playing the numbers. Playing junk. Not being able to place opponents on ranges and narrowing down as the hand plays out. Not believing that microstakes players have hit that flush on river even though you slow played your nut straight on the flop.

I've ignored all the obvious reasons because they're simply obvious. If you wanna play drunk have a cig and splash your buckaroonies over the table with your lag play, I'll take you on, eeeeeeven drunk.

Cheerio

Last edited:
E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you hit on the most common ones in your post lol. I've struggled with tilt and trying to keep playing after it's obvious I have lost focus. Doing things like watching videos or other distractions then further losses lol.

Have to say I don't drink that much so haven't played drunk in a long time, but as zipocool said that certainly doesn't help either

ASMautoneJr

ASMautoneJr

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you're absolutely right, and other mistakes are not knowing how to play with AA and KK, when receiving AA or KK it's all in, sometimes there's a player who 3-bets, which gives someone a margin to call to see the flop, other mistakes are not knowing how to defend BB or SB with mid-high cards.

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my years as a poker player, I think that the lack of concentration and the inflated ego always play against you, playing with distractions, music, television, social networks or a simple call, are enough to cut our concentration, it only takes a blink to make a mistake, underestimating your rivals can cause you big losses, there is no small rival in the world of poker.
Distraction can be anything and nothing. It is certainly very good to play in complete silence, but if you intend to play live, the distraction will not affect you.

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion, the most common mistake of beginners is playing with junk. Lack of patience, playing with junk, all this leads to losses and disappointment.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Playing way too many hands. Some players like the action and want to play every hand.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
a poker player may make the mistake of not bluffing or are afraid of bluffing

HungarianBoy

HungarianBoy

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
HU
Chips
The worst mistake is when your opponent wins half of your stack and then you start playing with bad cards because of emotions. try to stay calm and wait for a strong hand that will take you from a low chip count to a big one. I noticed that there are a lot of bad bluffs. try to sense the right situation when bluffing can be good. and don't do it so often.