What method of studying poker do you use or did you use?

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
poker books, although not as widely distributed as they used to be, still have a strong influence on the learning process. Most players who are serious about poker have at least a couple of books on poker strategy, and some even have enough books to compete with the library.

A book probably won't be the best option if you're not an avid reader, but books have several advantages. First, it's a one-time expense – you pay for the book and can go back to reading it again and again if you want. You can even get it for free using your local library. Books are also great because they can be easily taken with you and can be used anywhere: on the way to work, on a trip, or at home. One of the biggest drawbacks of books is that they are "outdated" for a number of reasons. Visually, they have some limitations (no video, limited image efficiency), and there is no way to use audio. In this regard, they may be less useful for users who perceive more by ear.

ranynight

ranynight

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i am watching lots of final tables with regs and learning what hands they play nad how

kringoo

kringoo

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I watch a lot of videos on YouTube and try to put them into practice while playing.
so far I've only read a poker book

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I took my first steps to learn poker from books and on poker sites where there is a poker school section.

R

ritz_avalanche

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I watch a lot of videos on YouTube and try to put them into practice while playing.
so far I've only read a poker book
Which you tube channels do u suggest ?

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Back in 2009, I used books, but now books are not relevant, except for psychology. All useful information on the Internet, quite a lot in the public domain.

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watch videos from good players when they play, work with calculators and always analyze the played tournaments in hold'em manager.

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use two Apps - Preflop+ and Postflop+. I've tried a few training apps and I think these are by far the best. They're made by the same people, it's really two versions of the same App. It's a handy way of actively learning about your own play when you have a bit of time

S

ScottyDee

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Books

I went to the library.

S

slais_pro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of all, I like the streams of professional players, and the analysis of hands with their participation, where they explain in detail why they did one way or another in this situation.

R

rapione98

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like review the hands with their participation.

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
For me best way to learn poker stratregy is playing with better players than I. Playing with fun, play like i can, the best poker. After session i go back to 5 hardest pots of the day, and analyse them. watch if i plaed correctly.

I like to talk with better players then I, and taking a gold advices from them.

flail1

flail1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
School of hard knocks plus equal time reviewing hand history via Equilab. Also reaffirm ABCs via various videos and watching poker broadcasts like weekly 10k on GG Poker TV.

weralomos

weralomos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
School of hard knocks plus equal time reviewing hand history via Equilab. Also reaffirm ABCs via various videos and watching poker broadcasts like weekly 10k on GG Poker TV.
How does watching high-limit video broadcasts improve your low-limit games?:eek:

W

WellAA

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Reading a good book like Every hand revealed or modern poker theory. watching a FT on pokernight, and the best one is playing my game though.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The moment i left school,,,is the moment i stopped studying,,,now i read what i want,when i want to read it. :deal:

garibe

garibe

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the particles I like to interact online and then put the tips into practice ... I also use the range tables a lot ... Little by little we level up every ... Finally, each hand leaves a lived experience in detail it's like using that experience

Key word here is "method". Then Study.

watching youtube videos (that usually do not represent you current ABI) / reading books from the 90s/early 00s / repeating other ppls strategies/ and such things have not done a bit of help in my experience (it might have helped other players but I dont consider that a method of study).

My method to studying poker - the process I use to approach my studies - is:

1 - Environment/Mindset - Setting up the place and time to focus on what is hindering your game/ or to review hands from a (specific/various) (tournaments/plays).

Why - just like when we were kids, it does not matter if you just sit down and read or watch something. Take notes, understand and if there are still doubts, look for help or search for more info.

2 - Training courses / Books - It is important to know that free information is something that ppl do not care to share. REAL information, costs money.

Books that helped me A BUNCH - and are somehow still fresh.

Michaels Acevedo Modern Poker Theory
and
Dara Okerney Satellite poker

3 - Use SW tools to analyse your plays. Review the hands you had doubts when playing, mark them using your tracker, see if your RFI/call/all-in really was good or not. That will provide you much experience and in my case (little time to play) it helps with spots you have missed without having to put in more plays/mtts to know about it.

Remember, this is just IMO.

During the game - Stick to the plan;
After the game - check/review the hands.

Then, the read book watch videos study time should focus on strategies and situations (nr. BB from position, check raise situations, RFI, call/All-in, Flop plays, River plays, etc.)

And finally - Recite it! Im doing it right now. You must keep studying. recite your plan and exercise it! :)

funnyhook3

funnyhook3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Books and video on youtube

TirariAchref

TirariAchref

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TN
Chips
You need to watch some final tables in youtube and learn from the pro players. Then your game will improve withut knowing it you will make some moves that you see in the pro games unaware it's like you just learning to drive a car.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I liked to watch poker training videos on the game I am playing, then play, then review my hands in a icm calculator.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thee is no method, i just watch and pick up on how the pros play

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
None of the methods mentioned have helped me

S

serebec

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watch You Tube videos and practically a lot

Bibigon

Bibigon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Some of Twitch (by streamers), some of YouTube, some of re-Play (by pokerstars) - that`s it. Not a study, but pick up some tricks and moves by good players. Just play for fun, not for profit or so - and don`t waste my time for study, better have a walk in the park.

E

easy play

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read couple of books and mostly watched video tutorials..