What can I change?

K

kysg

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
NL has some very intense BRM requirements so I'd rather just get used to playing LHE, and maybe PL omaha, and maybe the other horse games, NL is not really high on the list right now because you can blow your whole bankroll and variance is super high.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
If you play the horse games you can do your cash just as quick as NL if you play at the higher limits.

My advice is to learn Stud Stud8 Omaha and Razz, they are technical games which require even more thought than HE.

FTP have some very good tutors and they also teach bankroll management.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fwiw, PLO br requirements and variance are generally higher than NLHE.

thunder1276

thunder1276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ive been told on this site by multiple people that variance is higher in limit, especially 6-max, because people like to all down with nothing more than a gutshot or high card. i have a hard time believing this because in NL one bad beat can take your whole stack whereas in limit one bad beat will only take 3 or 4 big bets. this is why i like to stick to limit and 6-max because there are less people to call down with nothing. i recommend this to people who are having any sort of trouble at NL because with a proper style it is very easy to profit at limit.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ive been told on this site by multiple people that variance is higher in limit, especially 6-max, because people like to all down with nothing more than a gutshot or high card. i have a hard time believing this because in NL one bad beat can take your whole stack whereas in limit one bad beat will only take 3 or 4 big bets. this is why i like to stick to limit and 6-max because there are less people to call down with nothing. i recommend this to people who are having any sort of trouble at NL because with a proper style it is very easy to profit at limit.

Really? So the fewer truly horrible players at the table the better off we are? Sounds like a great reason to play 6-max.

K

kysg

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I find the statement contradictory and at the same time a paradox...yet, I have little to say.

I'm gonna post updated stats after I get home.

oh yea these are the games I plan to learn

Horse
Badugi
8game mix, I think this includes deuce to seven

I have a lot of reading to do.

That should pretty much give me every major poker game with the exception of chinese poker and badagi, crazy pineapple and double flop holdem which no one really plays.

Last edited:
K

kysg

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
had a question about connectors.

from my understanding

A 3 gap connector only makes 1 straight??
A 2 gap connector only makes 2 straights??
A 1 gap connector makes 3 straights
A connector makes 4 straights??

or do I have this out of context.

my only good example is AT, and JT

AT is 3 gap only makes 1 straight
AKQJT

JT is connector makes 4 straights

AKQJT
KQJT9
QJT98
JT987

B

Bovinity

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really? So the fewer truly horrible players at the table the better off we are? Sounds like a great reason to play 6-max.

I know people don't like to admit it out of some misplaced pride or something, but it really is a total pain in the butt to play at a table that's entirely made up of maniacs and calling stations.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know people don't like to admit it out of some misplaced pride or something, but it really is a total pain in the butt to play at a table that's entirely made up of maniacs and calling stations.

Yeah that's why winrates at 2nl are 10 times what they are at 100nl.

B

Bovinity

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're assuming every table at 2nl is what I described, which isn't the case.

Table selection at 2nl is great because you can find those tables with one or two maniacs and siphon their cash off. But I doubt anyone wants to sit at a table that's made up entirely of them....I've even heard people here say they'll leave a table if they have just one manaic LAG-ish player sitting next to them.

I know our ego wants to keep us from ever saying things like this, because it's suggesting that somehow we can't "outplay" otherwise terrible players, but the truth is that too many shoving maniacs at a table can make things more complicated than its worth.