what is an Effective Set Mining strategy at the micros

R

riberbet28

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
lets say you are in late position(cutoff) and you get dealt (22-99) and a nit who only raises strong hands raises 4-5x the blinds. upto what size of a bet can you call to hit your set in the long run?
I usually try to get in for cheap with low pocket pairs, but is there merit for raising as well? maybe for range protection?

A

AG04CAS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hard to give an answer directly as you dont define stakes.

in micros against a nit who only raises big hands im not set mining unless we are super super deep 200bb or more....the nit has a super strong hand here and your not going to hit enough for it to be worth it.

above nl25 .... as long as im deep stacked and so is my opponent its a clear call but my range is 77+ ..... im not good enough to include pairs below ....I would never consider raising a raise from a super nit....giving cash away when they reraise/ ship on you ... your definately not shipping 22-99 range.

if im honest i would more than likely just fold to the nit and get back to stealing their blinds whilst they wait for a playable hand :D:D:D:D

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on the stack sizes.
if you are short, you better shove pre.
if you are deepstack, then setmine if the preflop raise is up to 7X

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lets say you are in late position(cutoff) and you get dealt (22-99) and a nit who only raises strong hands raises 4-5x the blinds. upto what size of a bet can you call to hit your set in the long run?
I usually try to get in for cheap with low pocket pairs, but is there merit for raising as well? maybe for range protection?

Honestly, three bet once in a blue moon for balance, but fold every other time because you are behind far too often. You don't have to beat these guys in micros. There are plenty of bad players you can win money off of. I understand people's argument for set mining against a rock for implied odds but you're more often just giving money away in this spot. Also you set yourself for set over set in a lot of cases. Focus on stealing blinds and obvious missed flops from these type players IMO

Gamebreakr25

Gamebreakr25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. In this situation against a raise 4-5 times the big blind I'm folding small pocket pairs. Because you are gonna miss the set most of the time on the flop. You already know that the raiser is a nit. So you are gonna lose your chips most of the time. If it was a smaller raise, I would probably call. But given the information that the raiser is a tight player, I would fold anything smaller than say 99. Take care and have a good evening :cool:

S

Shooter74

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play in position and be tight and agressive!!

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

If your playing at the micros, you will want to do the set mining when you have a few people in on the hand and it is cheap to enter, you want the pot odds to be good to play your small pairs to hit the set. If you run into a big raise, especailly from the nit, you should most likely fold. You do not want to be set mining heads-up against a strong range. Best case your slightly ahead against 2 overcards, or your way behind against a big pair. I like to call with the small pairs when there is some limpers or multiple callers for a small raise before me.

R

riberbet28

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hard to give an answer directly as you dont define stakes.

in micros against a nit who only raises big hands im not set mining unless we are super super deep 200bb or more....the nit has a super strong hand here and your not going to hit enough for it to be worth it.

above nl25 .... as long as im deep stacked and so is my opponent its a clear call but my range is 77+ ..... im not good enough to include pairs below ....I would never consider raising a raise from a super nit....giving cash away when they reraise/ ship on you ... your definately not shipping 22-99 range.

if im honest i would more than likely just fold to the nit and get back to stealing their blinds whilst they wait for a playable hand :D:D:D:D

Sorry the stakes i was talking about are 2NL and 5NL.

R

riberbet28

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If your playing at the micros, you will want to do the set mining when you have a few people in on the hand and it is cheap to enter, you want the pot odds to be good to play your small pairs to hit the set. If you run into a big raise, especailly from the nit, you should most likely fold. You do not want to be set mining heads-up against a strong range. Best case your slightly ahead against 2 overcards, or your way behind against a big pair. I like to call with the small pairs when there is some limpers or multiple callers for a small raise before me.

Hello. In this situation against a raise 4-5 times the big blind I'm folding small pocket pairs. Because you are gonna miss the set most of the time on the flop. You already know that the raiser is a nit. So you are gonna lose your chips most of the time. If it was a smaller raise, I would probably call. But given the information that the raiser is a tight player, I would fold anything smaller than say 99. Take care and have a good evening :cool:

Thanks for the discussion. there have been precisely the situation which you have described in which i have a small pair like 22-88 and I have faced a big raise and have been unsure about what needs to be done. its good to know that its only best to get in cheap. what would be the max raise you would be able to call with a small pocket pair? and what if you have a straight draw either open ended or gutshot on the flop and face a big raise?
also if you hit a set is it better to slow play or fast play your sets?

R

riberbet28

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, three bet once in a blue moon for balance, but fold every other time because you are behind far too often. You don't have to beat these guys in micros. There are plenty of bad players you can win money off of. I understand people's argument for set mining against a rock for implied odds but you're more often just giving money away in this spot. Also you set yourself for set over set in a lot of cases. Focus on stealing blinds and obvious missed flops from these type players IMO

what are "tells" which alert you of bad players in low stakes- 2NL and 5NL?
also what table selection strategies go you employ?

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No there is no merit in raising. If you get 4 bet jammed you are in super ugly position as you are crushed at 18% to 82% or flipping. Set mine with atleast 8x the bet you need to call in their stack. Often time you WILL get their stack as set take even TPOK hands entire stack. Also 99 is a mid purrr not a small purrr I also set mine with JJ or lower if the action is really that bad.

R

riberbet28

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No there is no merit in raising. If you get 4 bet jammed you are in super ugly position as you are crushed at 18% to 82% or flipping. Set mine with atleast 8x the bet you need to call in their stack. Often time you WILL get their stack as set take even TPOK hands entire stack. Also 99 is a mid purrr not a small purrr I also set mine with JJ or lower if the action is really that bad.

yeah i agree with you about not raising. i was moreover referring to the amount you can call raises with low pairs- 22-88. i usually call around 6-10x bb at 2NL and 5NL it seems like the amount of risk i can take. but from the previous comments it seems like I am calling too high of raises
also what do you mean by " setmine with at least 8x the bet you need to call in thier stack". do you mean i should bet a size on the flop which will get villians whole stack in by the river?

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what are "tells" which alert you of bad players in low stakes- 2NL and 5NL?
also what table selection strategies go you employ?

It’s been awhile since I’ve played microstakes... But generally high VPIP’s and low PFR I had a lot of them noted when I played at those stakes, so I would scan all the running tables looking for the screen names I knew were terrible. Also on the lobby I would find tables that had a high average size of pot. I would spend a lot of time watching tables before joining.

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold that hand directly, since you have all the information you need to have, the opponent is a nit. If u know that he only raised with strong hands and when the nit raise 4 BB, then your low or medium pair only have a chance to look for a set in a cheap call, isnt this case.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can call but you risk the chance of them getting a better pair or an even stronger hand if it goes to the flop so it's probably smarter to play a bit tighter and let the small pairs go.

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that playing aggressively without any strategy is very much cliché in poker. The primary reason that micro stakes players shy away from aggressive play is because they fear losing.