What do you think about all the min raises preflop

S

some39thing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been out of poker for awhile and now everyone min raises preflop. I don't understand the appeal. Could someone explain it to me?

007Leon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i preffer 4 bb. but it deppends too of the actions of the specific table... somethimes bb es enough and sometimes 10 bb is not enough to avoid other players call with k5 for example.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is necessary to reduce the number of players in the pot and to identify the available hand ranges of opponents.

S

Suzana2304

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a check for other players if they have good cards I think.

P

padman400

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been out of poker for awhile and now everyone min raises preflop. I don't understand the appeal. Could someone explain it to me?

Hi, do you mean cash games or tournaments or both??

KasyakoFF

KasyakoFF

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's a good thing to test your opponent! minimum raise and you understand how to continue playing with the apponent!

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

It is quite simple to explain, if the opponent does not defend, then it makes no difference to put 2; 2.5; 3 bb, and in case of aggression we lose less. There is one more simple explanation, guys at high limits play with a minraise and they know better:D. Therefore, it is not necessary to understand why, the main thing is to apply. You don't know how the mobile network works, but you use it.:)

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The idea behind the min-raising is (in part at least) that any raise will often do about as good a job getting you heads-up against the big blind. Then you're up against one opponent with position and a lot of overlay from blinds/antes.

Times that it's generally a mistake to min-raise:

** Deeper effective stacks
** You're in the small blind
** There's one or more limpers

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A 2BB raise is already the norm...Recently I see such a trend that whether,4BB and higher...

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have not noticed any changes in the size of the bets from BB. As they played before, everyone is playing now. I bet 4bb with a good pocket pair or a premium hand. If this is a middle card then there is no need to do the same. 2BB is enough.

Highsolation

Highsolation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe min raising is a good move when you are deep stacked and have a hand that you'll play anyways, that way you can have better reads on opponents and if a tight player 3 bets you, you can fold weaker hands and get out of trouble cheaper. Of course depends on your position etc.

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is nothing incomprehensible in this. Now some play with mini-raises, while others with big bets, and it only depends on how strong your all-in card is from your opponent.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You dont understand the appeal of a min raise preflop? Oh, that will get taken care of when you lose to a no face card off suit hand when your trips lose to a straight that would have folded if only you had done a min raise, but instead let any 2 cards stay in the hand. I have seen things as innocent as a 3d make a straight flush and someone loses a pretty penny because they play old style of letting everyone limp in on a hand.

I also see this preflop min raise when a poker site does not have enough players for a 10c/25c table, so some big spender joins the .05c/.10c table and creates havoc for the small guy when every hand he simply comes out at .25c. So the creep basically make the .05/.10 table a .10/.25 table.

Last edited:
Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see anything wrong with a mini raise. It's always a good idea to warm up the pot and try to get rid of people with trash hands. At the same time, you still have the option to fold in case of a big raising on the preflop.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It's circumstantial, personally I generally only min raise UTG but, I'm MTT-focused, presume you're talking about cash, in which case I think Colin's response below is helpful for you...

The idea behind the min-raising is (in part at least) that any raise will often do about as good a job getting you heads-up against the big blind. Then you're up against one opponent with position and a lot of overlay from blinds/antes.

Times that it's generally a mistake to min-raise:

** Deeper effective stacks
** You're in the small blind
** There's one or more limpers
:adore::icon_thum:icon_salu

Pretty sure the **'s apply in both cash and MTT really!

Hi, do you mean cash games or tournaments or both??
^This..

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there are lots of players who just wont fold to a min raise, so often a raise just a little bit bigger than min will get them to fold.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wanting to just see the flop. this can be successfully dealt with