What to do? - How to Play Big Hands

fialhosm

fialhosm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What should we do when we have a great hand?
Do we pretend that we do not hit any cards to get chips from opponents, or should we bet high so as not to risk losing the hand without pulling anything?

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The answer to your question will depend on what exactly you are playing and in what position you are.

D

Dani_California

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What should we do when we have a great hand?
Do we pretend that we do not hit any cards to get chips from opponents, or should we bet high so as not to risk losing the hand without pulling anything?

I agree with previous answer and add few things to the mix. It depends on so many things that it's hard to give just one simple answer.

Do you already have the absolute nuts or is there a possibility that someone might be drawing something bigger? Is there a flush draw at the table when you have a set for example etc.? In some situations you don't want to give your opponent a free card so you need to bet right away but in some situations you might be hoping that your opponent would complete their draws and give them a chance to do so by slow playing your own hand. It really depends on what you have and what your opponent might be having.

Who was the original raiser? If your opponent was the one who raised first, maybe you should give them a chance to cbet by checking. Then it's up to you if you just call or reraise right away. Even better if your opponent shows aggression even after your calls and you hold the nuts or at least close to it. Let them hang themselves.

What kind of board compared to your own hand? What type of opponents? What is your own table image? etc. Like I mentioned, it depends on so many things that I can't go through all of those situations :) The best thing to do is just to play, gather experience and figure out the best play in every situation on its own.

fialhosm

fialhosm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Suppose AA is in the hand.
That would be an excellent hand. However, we do not have much to grow with it, it would depend on what came on the flop.
Do you think I should call all-in soon, or do we expect to turn the flop?

D

Dmutruu89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you've got to watch what is on the table. if there trith or flush draw and you have KK AA KA I think you have to push. the opponent will have to do a slony option. because it is not straight does not flash can not be folded. and you have the advantage. and that would be something to win, it is desirable to raise or re-raise pre flop

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's why there are tons of books written about poker, cuz there is no one straightforward answer that covers all situations.

I've seen people only pick up pocket change with huge monsters because they were afraid to bet people out of the hand. Folks generally have already decided whether they're going to stay in the hand or not so the size of the bet can vary significantly and still get called if they want to play, or not if they don't.

What you absolutely don't want to do is make it so cheap that the weakest hands will stay in only to hit that 5% chance of besting your hand on the river.

As they say - "it depends".

M

mr_poker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that you need to play aggressively.

fialhosm

fialhosm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whenever I go out with a hand that I think is good, like A / K for example, I bet high.
Sometimes I win, but most of the time I've lost.
Would it be lucky for the opponents?
I do not know, but sometimes I think this game is not for me.

E

effece

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on whether you play cash or mtt, which position and whether you have opponents' data. many times raise the bet a lot scares the rest and our goal is to win the most chips.

V

vic75

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends what you are playing example a free roll on 888 poker QQ shove pre flop and easy triple up against junk hands. At the micro stakes the play is very weak you have to be over aggressive. I was playing a $5 knockout on Titan Poker today with KK I three bet big against a small raise from a big stack the flop was low with three hearts i have the King of hearts all in post flop vs two pair and 69 wins. The only way maybe i can win is if i shove pre flop. Its all luck.

G

Gulya

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is necessary to play aggressively

caterina12

caterina12

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with a lot of patience ... and only when you have a good book

N

neiltur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing big hands will require a very high degree of strategy, have to observe the other opponents, your position at the table to make a great choice and come out victorious but sometimes hits the bad beat.

Drewha

Drewha

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lately I have not experienced destiny. I'm not making preflop raises with AA. I do not want to be called by three people with garbage on hand. I immediately go all in preflop. If I'm lucky, I'll win against KK-88. If not, then I lose AA <Q5s. KK QQ play aggressive, but do not put all the money preflop.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands