What are the disadvantages and advantages of making the minimum poker bet?

R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
This topic was created so we can talk about this topic. I see great advantages in making the minimum bet. One is to be able to fold your hand at any time and lose a few chips.

jfmcd86

jfmcd86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A disadvantage would be
getting your opponents to call your min. bet and hitting the cards they really need.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure

I also see the advantage to playing small ball poker. However, I don't like betting small and letting all math players have good odds to fish for there card or cards.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This topic was created so we can talk about this topic. I see great advantages in making the minimum bet. One is to be able to fold your hand at any time and lose a few chips.

I really can't think of any advantage of making a minimum bet. Usually when you follow this line of thinking you are playing too passively or have too wide a range which makes betting difficult. You always want to bet more to get value out of your hands. If you only min bet you are most likely in hands you shouldn't be in.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Disadvantages of your small bet that opponents can collect NATs or Vice versa when you have collected the combination and opponents on the hook...

R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
A disadvantage would be
getting your opponents to call your min. bet and hitting the cards they really need.
Yes, but we have to consider that we can quit at any point by missing a few chips.

R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I also see the advantage to playing small ball poker. However, I don't like betting small and letting all math players have good odds to fish for there card or cards.
Thank you. I will try to learn more about small ball.

R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I really can't think of any advantage of making a minimum bet. Usually when you follow this line of thinking you are playing too passively or have too wide a range which makes betting difficult. You always want to bet more to get value out of your hands. If you only min bet you are most likely in hands you shouldn't be in.
thank you so much. I agree in part with you

R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Disadvantages of your small bet that opponents can collect NATs or Vice versa when you have collected the combination and opponents on the hook...
We have to consider that 70% of the time the opponent does not hit anything on the flop.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Min Betting when missing the flop

The time I like to throw out a minimum bet is when I miss the flop and want to see more cards cheaply. Many players, especially newer players, love to trap others when they've hit the flop. By throwing out a min bet you can "abuse" this tendency by inducing a min call instead of a large opening bet. It doesn't always work, but min betting the flop and turn can sometimes get you to see the river. The added benefit of this is the person thinks they have successfully trapped you. So if you do happen to catch up on the turn or river they will assume your bet is a bluff and often pay off your large river bet.
I don't advocate min betting when you've hit the flop, only when the flop was a complete whiff and you're looking to see some cheap cards.

22meandu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with jon . Mini raise to control a pot . Most other answers so far are not considering you having small split suits or Ace rag suited or other fishy favorites you like playing . I dont like limping as i dont like being beat by 7 2 off .

V

valanddon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you make the minimum bet you allow the player
to make their hand cheaply.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The time I like to throw out a minimum bet is when I miss the flop and want to see more cards cheaply. Many players, especially newer players, love to trap others when they've hit the flop. By throwing out a min bet you can "abuse" this tendency by inducing a min call instead of a large opening bet. It doesn't always work, but min betting the flop and turn can sometimes get you to see the river. The added benefit of this is the person thinks they have successfully trapped you. So if you do happen to catch up on the turn or river they will assume your bet is a bluff and often pay off your large river bet.
I don't advocate min betting when you've hit the flop, only when the flop was a complete whiff and you're looking to see some cheap cards.
Maybe. I find that folks who routinely throw out trial bets like that are pretty easy to identify. Some even do it robotically. Once it becomes clear what they're doing (i.e., pretty quickly) it becomes very easy to counter.

We have to consider that 70% of the time the opponent does not hit anything on the flop.
Only 70%? Speaking for cash games, I routinely miss 9 (or more) out of 10 flops. So for me min-betting is usually a money trap. When someone else does it, I interpret that as a statement along the lines of, 'please, please raise', so I do.

PuMa8818

PuMa8818

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
against an aggressive player it can be a provocative bet and if you do not have anything, then against it, you should not once again make such bets. I very often use a small bet to continue. But if the flop draws, then I will not give a chance to buy a card and will put as much as possible

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you don't lose much then you can get if the cards in your favor

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont know.... but making a min bet is just like limping. You just give your opponent a chance to see the next card cheap.
If you have a hand and you make a min bet, you cannot get a read on what your opponent have because he can call even with a bad hand if he has a big stack with him.

E

eggtart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Helmuth does this alot, sometimes players use this to try to induce a raise by opposing players. It is also used as a blocker bet, so the villian does not put a third size bet, or half size pot bet. It can be beneficial if you have alot of chips, or drawing to flush or straight ....

Aslachiewicz

Aslachiewicz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like making a min bet on the river when there is a large pot. I find that this induces a check raise almost 100% of the time. At this point you can shove or re-raise.