What books to read for a poker player ...

vadimcs1495

vadimcs1495

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello . I would like to hear what books you would recommend to an amateur poker player.

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I could only have one book it would be "The Theory of Poker" by David Sklansky.
It gets pretty deep on the math "nuts and bolts". If you are not into that point of view I think that" Little Green Book" by Phil Gordon does a good job of explaining the how to without all of the math that Sklansky uses.

C

CourtJester

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Annie Duke - Decide to Play Great Poker
Daniel Negreanu - Holdem Wisdom
Doyle Brunson - Super System (and Super System 2)

Gus made good recommendations too!

Uncloggie

Uncloggie

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think if you are starting new, then any reading will help you. Start with the basics and get into the advanced stuff later.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As with anything, I'd begin with some "classics" like this thread mentions. I don't think I've read too many "classics" in poker (if any!), so probably can't recommend them. I've read a lot of poker books, but either somewhat advanced ones or books loosely related to poker.

Perhaps a good poker book I've read which may be useful for a beginner is Play Poker Like The Pros (Hellmuth) even though it is an older book; it keeps things fairly simple and that is great for beginning :)

magister1

magister1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly as a new player I wouldn't bother with books. Almost all the advice on how to play is outdated. There can be some useful information like how to calculate pot odds and terms like that, but you can find that easily for free online these days.

You're better off watching training videos on YT or something modern and updated. I think Jonathan Little has a few books or courses that are updated for small stakes players but I haven't read them myself.

vadimcs1495

vadimcs1495

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks a lot to everyone for the advice. I have already read some books from the above. I'll take a couple of books on note.

As for the materials on YouTube. I watch one poker player and I am going to experience on practice received knowledge . I hope I will succeed.