what are the best ways to improve your poker skills?

I

insaneiam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I curious to what others think, what are the best ways to improve ones poker skills. freerolls, Sit and Go's, Live Tables, etc. would really be interested in knowing what everyone thinks.

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the best way to improve your skill is to watch streams of professional players. You need to listen to what they say when they make decisions. It’s good that in our time this option has become possible. Then, you need to play the distance of 50 thousand hands, and begin to disassemble them with you he trainer, eliminating errors.

W

witfighter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
have any recommendations of who to watch?

StArDemonn

StArDemonn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Training sites,twitch,books

Mr_Hand

Mr_Hand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Assassinato has some really good free content on YouTube. Also associated with him is Johnathan Little. You can get a real good base from them. Twitch streamers are also a great resource. Matt Staples, Fintan Hand, Lex, are all really good. I think Matt explains his hands really well. I know Fintan will answer all the questions that are asked.

I too want to polish up my game and get better. I just made a decision to study the same amount of time that I spend playing. This will make my roi go up as I continue to play. I don’t have a lot of time, so I want to make the most of it.

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Read educational articles from reputable poker players
Sections with articles about the strategy of the game of poker is almost every poker site, and most often they exist in the public domain. They are written by completely different authors: poker Pro, the authors of books on poker strategy, scientists, poker mathematics. The archives of these articles are huge, and you can pick up materials on any narrow topic about poker, which only want to explore deeper.
2. Learn about discussions and publications on poker forums
Forums are another thing (and what is very important, most often free) that you should study in detail. At first glance, you may think that there is only chatter and comments trolls, but it is not. Just with experience, you can easily pass by all unnecessary and seek out the precious information that is difficult to find elsewhere.

A

althernatea

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
best way to improve poker skill is to played it often and learn from the mistake.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
elimination of deficiencies in your game.
discipline in everything. competent alternation of tournaments and the study of the theory. consolidating the learned material into practice in the game.
I think this is all not only for improvement in poker, but also in all affairs and undertakings

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not think it's a good idea to copy what the professionals do by streaming, or by TV, they play on a completely different level, plus they have many hours of study for each play they make.

If you want to improve, you have to check your hands, after a game session, or better yet, you can ask a more experienced player to review your game.

gl :)

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
have any recommendations of who to watch?

i really like MattStaples, i think he is a skillful Player
also tonka, but he rarely streams nowadays

but as mentioned, they Play higher stakes then you, so don't try to copy their playstyle at Micro or low stakes.

On Topic:
Read some Basic Poker Books. learn the ABC Poker
Get some practice with a strict Bankrollmanagement
Reread the Basic books and think About what changed when i reread it.
Read some advanced poker books
Get some more pratice.
reread some of the advanced books…
learn About ranges, EV, ICM,....
try to learn new concepts and use them in practice

boards like cardschat or 2+2 deliver a lot of free Information if you don't want to spend Money on books. they are also more up-to-date than some books from 2010 or older.

i think rereading some books is really helpful because it Shows the Progress of your thinking you gained and how you look at some Things completly different now.

but the most important Thing for me was the BRM. don't start with 50$ and Play 11$ tourneys, you will be broke within a week.
deposit at least 100$ and Play the small SnGs (0.25-1$) and MTTs for 1.10$ or less.
once you feel you get an Edge and also some Deep runs, Play higher buy-ins accoring to your bankroll (buy-in x100).
I don't like the idea of Building a BR with freerolls because they are just full or Maniacs and fishes and you don't learn a lot there....

if you decide to Play regularly, getting HM2 or PT4 is worth the Money!

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that the best way to improve as a poker player (in addition to studying a lot) is through experience.
You can have a lot of game theory, but if you do not put it into practice, you will not learn to use it efficiently in real cases.
If on the contrary, you practice a lot and you spend most of the time playing poker, if you do not study, you will not be able to detect your mistakes and it will be very difficult for you to better as a player in those conditions.
So, I think that to improve in poker you need study and practice. Oh and I forgot another fundamental component: Be patient. By patience I understand, respect time (nothing is achieved overnight), the rival you have in front, the handling of your emotions, etc.
Regards!

Mr_Hand

Mr_Hand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think it's a good idea to copy what the professionals do by streaming, or by TV, they play on a completely different level, plus they have many hours of study for each play they make.

If you want to improve, you have to check your hands, after a game session, or better yet, you can ask a more experienced player to review your game.

I honestly had the same thought. But when I asked Fintan Hand (easywithaces) about this, he disagreed. He said playing the way he plays at lower levels, his graph just goes up. I have been doing this in MTTs and whether it’s freerolls or micros, it working. Making positive equity plays works at all levels.

M

Ms_AAandKK

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Play more, well, classes with a coach:bandit:

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I honestly had the same thought. But when I asked Fintan Hand (easywithaces) about this, he disagreed. He said playing the way he plays at lower levels, his graph just goes up. I have been doing this in MTTs and whether it’s freerolls or micros, it working. Making positive equity plays works at all levels.

I think not, maybe you can learn a little when you see a pro playing on youtube, but in high tournaments, the game is more advanced, there are more bluffs, blockers, etc.
That type of player studies before and after each session.

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a lifetime study and the games are constantly evolving. Watch YouTube content from top players. If you don't have a poker tracker it's a good idea to get one so you can study hand histories. Also, use the poker tracker to study your analytics.

Mr_Hand

Mr_Hand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think not, maybe you can learn a little when you see a pro playing on youtube, but in high tournaments, the game is more advanced, there are more bluffs, blockers, etc.
That type of player studies before and after each session.
I really don’t think Fintan cares whether we agree with him or not. If he says he implements his style on all levels and they excel even more at the lower stakes, I believe him. If you don’t, okay.

bonekeeper

bonekeeper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Knowledge is power!
if you start reading, learing what cards are worth in diffrent spots and scenarios you will eventually make the right decissions, there is still alot of variance, due to luck etc. but if you always make the right call, you will get paid in the long run

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
See methodological materials, to play more tournaments, listen to what is recommended by experienced players.

S

Schrubbler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion its just about playing alot and reviewing your own game. Watching pros helps alot aswell, maybe books also... But most important is your own experience i think. You can use Programms to check and review your play:D

Manjerica1

Manjerica1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By doing what most people dont like to do. Open a poker software, study hands.
-Save your hands in a document and discuss they with somebody knows more than you.
-Try to see diferent opinions.
If you want to be better than average you need to do what average dont.
You can try icmizer for 3 hands for free a day.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Watch successful players on streaming professionals such as twitch or YouTube. Analysis of hand histories. Studying mistakes and how to fix the leak. Playing and practicing new learned techniques. Books. Training sites. Study, more studying, and even more studying. The greatest thing about poker is anyone can improve with working at it. [emoji3]

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Many professional streaming’s offer an explanation of why they make certain plays. I definitely believe you can learn from streamers, but your absolutely correct about understanding why one should make certain plays and when. Streaming can be a great tool, but not the only one.

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i hear that something about pay a Coach.. too much people improve by that.. bacicly the thing is that u need to follow a range or tables of hands to play.. and another more details.

stangret

stangret

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just practice, practice and practice..
I played a lot in free poker App for my iphone with friends. So that helped me.