What is the best way to get very good at tournament poker?

5dcanela

5dcanela

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello

I'm new to poker and I want to know how to become a better player and be able to go far in a tournament?:confused:

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Study. Watch poker streams on twitch. See what they do. Learn. Then when you're ready play small stakes and use what you learned. There is so much free information out there on twitch and youtube. Start by just playing really strong hands. If you are a tournament player you should learn the push fold chart. Study that. Also study pot odds and you will be on your way. Good luck.

ulgromkii

ulgromkii

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
a rather philosophical question and it’s difficult to answer, it’s enough for me to be sober and I will definitely go far in any online tournament, it’s a pity that this happens rarely.

pokergopher

pokergopher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello

I'm new to poker and I want to know how to become a better player and be able to go far in a tournament?:confused:

Lots and lots of practice. Pick a level of stakes that is affordable to your bankroll, so that you have plenty of room to play many many tournaments. As you play tournaments add to your experience with studying other players by reading books, watching streams online, and you may also be interested in getting a poker coach.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learn poker math. Play all kinds of poker, find out which poker is better for you. Play poker every day, there will be experience and practice. Study your game, look for mistakes, watch and study your opponents. Practice all this every day.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with all authors! I'd add that you should have a great zhelanie-- does not work without it! Good luck!

tehb1987

tehb1987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only practice will help. The main thing is to properly dispose of the bankroll. The rest is a stable and frequent game.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
For starters, try building your bankroll by playing freerolls. This will give you the opportunity to gain good experience and initial skills for further development.

5dcanela

5dcanela

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks

Thanks to all for the advices!

R

recoveryagent

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Practice and learn to control you emotions. It's very easy to be baited in poker. Learn when to play with reckless abandonment and when to play tight. also learn to recognize when your on a streak and when not to push your luck

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Study. Watch poker streams on twitch. See what they do. Learn. Then when you're ready play small stakes and use what you learned. There is so much free information out there on twitch and youtube. Start by just playing really strong hands. If you are a tournament player you should learn the push fold chart. Study that. Also study pot odds and you will be on your way. Good luck.
sounds great advice I def need a refresher course!:icon_flow

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For starters, try building your bankroll by playing freerolls. This will give you the opportunity to gain good experience and initial skills for further development.

that is how I did it and I never deposited any of my own bucks but I never improved at poker

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to study a lot.
Play freerolls to build your bankroll and try to make the right choice, dont be afraid bad beats, it's happen. The most important is that you make the right moves because most of times you will win.
Never put in poker money that you need because you will play nervous because at least you need that money back.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
that is how I did it and I never deposited any of my own bucks but I never improved at poker

In order to gain experience and relevant skills, you need to play poker every day for at least 3-4 years. How long have you been playing poker?

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

If you do not have the patience, you will not be able to succeed in the long run.

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't have time or patience to play regular any more

A

Arthur ZM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To become the best in tournament poker, you need to devote a lot of time to training, read books, watch instructional videos and the best way is to hire a poker coach.

pokercuttlefish

pokercuttlefish

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my theory

play as many tables as possible . rail the big money tables. do what they do.

T

TheFaissal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watching streamers really help you understand the game, since you can see the hand and how they react to each one!

Another one is to start playing low stakes, don't expect to win tournaments immediately, but try to analyze your mistakes.

Hope that help

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People need to understand patience and hard work. If you wanna be better work on yourself, whatever it is. Is ot poker, your job, i dont care. There s nothing better than hard and smart work. And when you love something that you wanna improve in there is nothing hard in spending time learning about it.

J

JRTHEKING

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankroll management...

A great player who can't manage a bankroll will end up broke in the long run every time. A good player who can will survive in the long run. Tournaments or otherwise. The highway to poker glory is littered with the roadkill of great players who couldn't manage a bankroll.