What is the best way to learn poker?

What is the best way to learn how to play poker?

• By playing for real money

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • By reading

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • By playing for fake money

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other - look at my post

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In poker play that would win the money. And the experience should be, respectively. I think need to gain experience or on the micro stakes or freerolls.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i am watching poker videos
can i learn from these?

Not meaning to be a smart-alec, but you tell me - are you learning from these?

Some people swear by them, whereas I am better with books.

I can say though, the more I play the more it keeps coming back to the fundamentals - you never grow past them.

C

CrushTheBookie

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say maybe read a few books,maybe even sit down at a play chip table you could do freerolls watch videos i like to sometimes pick a table where there is a couple top chip leaders and sit and watch there play then make some side notes.Good Luck

4soul

4soul

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way to learn and be good at poker you must have a PROGRAM
- when to play and how much time;
- when to stop and what to learn:video, chats, forums etc.;
- and to do anything else...a second job, or hobbyes what you need to stay away from poker for some reasons.

Without these is just luck....

Frontiere

Frontiere

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freeroll

One of the best way is play for real money and freerolls games. Deposit some money ( not too much , just for start micro tournaments and sit&go ) and play as you can freerool in same time. Offcourse some advice of good players will also be great. On PokerSchool in pokerstars you can learn a lot from PROS , and you can get a lots of freerolls ticket, and all that is free. Combination of freerolls and real money tournament is the best . And dont forget you realy must loose some money , so you can learn from yours mistakes. See you at the tables .:hmmmm:

D

davem86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way to learn poker would be to just play the game.
Whether its for real or play money you will learn either way.
Or you could even play poker with food:tongue: until you build enough knowledge to play poker 4 food:proud:

S

Smoola

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Reading books, watching videos, listening to podcasts, and reviewing sessions for leak-busting are all really important ways that we need to study off the felt in order to improve our poker games.

Frank Burnette

Frank Burnette

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say try playing as much as possible with people who have been around the game a while. There's also some good literature out there that might help. If getting tips from friends/other players isn't an option, just play freerolls, micro games, cheap tournaments (like a daily dollar or something). There's nothing quite like losing to help ingrain valuable lessons/experience.

P

PuckerUpChat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree playing in free rolls and beginners games as offered in this forum is a good way to learn poker, however learning in many games is a never ending experience.

crazyangel88

crazyangel88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
best way to learn is to play real money . Sit and go , cash or multi table tournament . Dont expect if you win freerols to win real money tournament easy . Is a big diference when you play freerols and when you play real money

S

Smoola

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play money games and free rolls are definitely poor ways to learn poker because you won't really be developing your game for real poker.

N

NeoBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I learn by many ways

I have been learning by watching videos from people like doug polk tankaa and other pros. I watch twitch streams read books and i also play for real money i lose a lot but i have fun and learn. I am getting better it is slow but i am getting better. I know the basics but now need to learn how to put people on their hands I am good at it now but need to listen to my instincts and i will win more. If i could afford a coach i would get one but can't afford that at this time

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play real money. Thats the best way.Experience is the best teacher but you need to play real money to involve risk. Because if you play with play money you will not be risking anything so you'll be playing bingo poker and you dont want to learn that.

Mare10

Mare10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play real money. Thats the best way.Experience is the best teacher but you need to play real money to involve risk. Because if you play with play money you will not be risking anything so you'll be playing bingo poker and you dont want to learn that.
Jes is it is...play money is one way for improve :)

C

Cashcards

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the best way to learn poker is watch, explore and build your game by drawing conclusions. if you have an experienced player, who can give you an advice its only better for your skill

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way to learn is to go over hands and see what you did right/wrong. Post them and get feedback. Watch others play and constantly ask yourself why you are doing what you are doing. It's similar to chess, you need to be thinking several moves ahead before you act.

K

Klito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way to improve at poker is to play at real money cash games or tournaments .. there you gain experience and that way you can improve your game

kara260588

kara260588

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that playing for real money you get more experience. At least I had more lessons playing for real money than from reading and playing with conditional chips. But I also do not want to say that reading did not help me. From reading, I also got some knowledge.

ssory83

ssory83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The theory differs greatly from practice. But without theory it's a little harder to play poker. One way to learn poker is to read all the possible poker books.

CullinanPoker

CullinanPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree, best way is to start real money and take your lumps, youll learn alot quicker.

I

Ilyrium

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I started playing again recently and have noticed improvement by playing for money,watching some videos (Doug Polk, BencB, Lex, etc...), and reading forums. I've been meaning to pick a book or two and have been recommended Supersystem and Applications of No Limit Hold 'em. If anyone has any other reading suggestions that would be great.

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Three interrelated categories can be distinguished in learning strategies: self-awareness, knowledge and application. 1. KNOWLEDGE. This section is the theory. For example, reading a book - it is a simple and common way to gain knowledge about the game. It requires a list of methods: daily study of books and articles; Discussion Game and strategy; Study and discussion of the hands, which are posted on the forum for the players; Careful observation of the preparation and a preparation for it; Strategy Analysis.

ledsmith

ledsmith

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think you need to use all methods of teaching. But in the first place should be the practice of the game. Reading books and not playing, I think nothing will turn out.

J

Jimboskie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Talk to people about the game. Friends that play. These are the people that can guide you. Let you in on their secrets.