What is the best strategy for a late registration tournament?

brayanberbert

brayanberbert

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I almost don't win any tournament, I don't know what I do wrong

Pawlowski

Pawlowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to be more aggressive when opening and use really well your good hands. But it's normal at the end.

J

jday00m

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One tip, shove into the big stack, he will call you wider. And of course, its better to shove from late position.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I almost don't win any tournament, I don't know what I do wrong
The best strategy is to avoid them but it's getting next to impossible, at least on poker stars which is the only place I play and have played since the domain seizures affair.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
If the blinds are deep you could try to play some hands like suited connectors, Ax suited beside your opening range, once you build up your stack you can slow down and wait for bigger hands. The other players at the table will see you as a "loose player" but once you have a big hand you can win big. Experiment over some tournaments and make adjustment.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't overdo it, why don't you join from the beginning?
Winning at late registration requires a certain amount of skill.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when you enter late registration, you will basically have a short stack, which means you need to look for a reason to double up and try to put pressure on the blinds if possible, and try to learn something about the game with a short stack

Mimo..Mach

Mimo..Mach

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Make it a KO tournament!! There are plenty of resagados and it is well earned to eliminate them. That the first hand you play is All In.

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends on the tournament, if it's a tournament with a bounty, I prefer to play it from the beginning and I can get more chips and have a slight advantage over the players who sign up later

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Late registration is a skill that one can possess usually through time. It has nothing to do with written rules but more with experience in poker game.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it would be the mmt of 10,000 entries
In that case you can only expect to win 1 out of every 10.000, you play, or a little more, if you are an above average player. Like maybe 1 out of every 7.000 or 1 out of every 8.000. Winning in such large fields is almost a once-in-a-lifetime experience, unless you play a lot or get incredibly lucky.

offeron

offeron

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I often manage to double or triple the stack at late registration, but in most cases I still give it to players with large stacks.

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not realistic to expect to win a tourney with 10000 entries--you would need unreal luck

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have had good luck registering 5 minutes before registration closes.

However, I have had even better luck when I notice registration closes when everyone remaining in the late registration game is in the money already,so registration closes early. Pay close attention for easy money from these types of games by registering before registration closes when entrants remaining is dwindlimg down and close to number of winners paid in the tourney.

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Well, you start with an advantage of being less tired. Only that.

Otherwise it's almost always worse. Less HUD logs, less information from opponents. You still haven't formed your image (Whatever it is). When you enter earlier, you have more opportunities to go further in the tournament.

I don't know how to help you win but to reach the final tables:
Play in position
Defend the button and blinds if the round allows;
Be aggressive;
Recognize opponents' style and adapt your game;
Take notes on opponents (shove hands, bet sizes and hands by position for example);
Recognize hands with showdown value;
etc...

These are basic things, but for microstakes you don't need more than that.

apLike

apLike

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It depends on when you start the tournament. If from the very beginning, you can play widely, and when registration comes to an end, many players start playing push-fold, here you need to wait it out and be calm.

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the best strategy is to know your opponent, and based on that be exploitative in their weak parts, keep in mind that in a late registration tournament you should be more aggressive.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
you don't lose a lot of chips you can go into the prize winnings more time to relax