What Are the Best Starting Hands?

H

Henrique Cardoso

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Anybody has a table with the % of each starting hand??

Like..
A and A = 60% good if your are playing in a 6 players table
Q and J = 40% good if your are playing in a 6 players table

And goes on..

nutthink

nutthink

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me any set like 22-AA is the best hand but for all in the best starting hand its only AA,KK and QQ.. wellcome to cardschat and good luck

H

Henrique Cardoso

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
for me any set like 22-AA is the best hand but for all in the best starting hand its only AA,KK and QQ.. wellcome to cardschat and good luck

ty dude!!

i always get me thinking if theres a % for each starting hand..

like.. if i get 4 and 5.. it will be 20% if they are the same color,
if not, 10%

And something like that..

Hope theres a table for this

T

Tman300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play poker pairs, any suited connecters but the best starting hands are poker aces or kings

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, the best starting hands are QQ, AA, but I can play with others. Not with these 72, J2, K3

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The value of certain starting hands is very dependent on the number of players at the table. Some starting hands will always be under threat at the table of nine or ten players, but the value of these hands increases when at the table less players.
Even the two highest starting hands in poker, AA and KK, on ​​average, win less than half of the banks, if the distribution of the remaining 4 or 5 players. Therefore, your goal is to narrow the number of players in the hand even before the flop to increase your chances of winning with these premium hands.
But there are hands that are profitable to play against a large number of opponents. This starter combinations - connectors and suited aces.
Your position at the table plays a big role in the selection of starting hands to draw. You should only play very strong hands from early position. From late position you can play more weak hands.

Last edited:
Jankou36

Jankou36

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can find a lot of charts on the internet, also with the starting hands, which can help you decide what to do with certain hand.
Here's an example:
Bez nazwy

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends a lot on the opponents, but it is good to have a guide, because if you do not have a pattern it is easier to observe. I suggest the following, download a program able to select the hands that neither the table that our colleague posted above, and do the following download tables 6 max and will train until you record everything, for example, in full ring opening hands Which is suggested in Ep is: 22+ AJs + AJo + So I know this when I see a player opening KQo and I know I light a light on my head and I think it's looser than the one suggested, so Next time he opens from p and I will be more willing to move against him. So it's good to know the hands. Gl

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
1. Pairs from 10 10 to KK, AA Lower Pairs are too risky
2. Suited Ak, AQ, AJ , A10
3. Unsuited AK, AQ, AJ, A10 :deal:

diadiavalik

diadiavalik

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ, QQ, KK, AA, KA, QA, and this is for me, a good approach card!

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Favorite hands are pairs and suited connectors :) to play slowplay is fine! :)

S

sarniack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read all of the answers and I think that there are sadly many misconceptions here. Only one (!) of the answers mentions the position and this is huge problem here.

Firstly, the question is wrongly asked I think. There is no table to show % of equity based on the number of players only. But the good news is that unlike postflop play, there are charts that can be starting point (as somebody here mentioned already).

There are few important things to consider though. Those charts need to be linked to position. If someone gives you "starting hands chart" without information if this is early, middle or late position (or even better what is the exact position), then it is garbage most of the time.

Second thing is that you cannot think about poker in terms of "good" or "bad" hands. While of course, everybody loves to get pocket aces or kings, you have to think about starting hands in terms of ranges. There are many great materials about ranges. My last finding, which seems as a good starting point is free ebook about preflop game. It contains information about 3bets and 4bets ranges on different positions. You can also get preflop charts for the "raise first in" situation on https://www.upswingpoker.com/ (raise first in, means that everybody folds to you and you are first to open).

Now, I want to come back to your question and why I think it is wrongly asked. While nobody will say that for instance 78s is the "best" hand, you should still tend to open with this hand on early positions (assuming that this is cash game, on tournament there are many other factors). This is because you want to balance your good hands on early positions (AK, AQ, maybe AJ, AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT) with worse hands / bluffs (suited connectors like, 78, 89, 9T, JT), suited aces (like A5-A2, AT). So 78s in EP will be about bottom of your range (depending on the table dynamics), but it is still good to open with this hand to balance premium hands. The later the position (or maybe rather the less people behind to decide), the more hands you should play, because of less chance of getting 3bet and higher chance of stealing the pot right away.

Please remember that I am writing about "raise first in" in this example. On later positions, most often you will face open (or in passive games limp). While for instance on the button you should open wide range (because only 2 players are left to act behind and even if called you have position advantage), when facing early position open, your calling / raising range should be tight.

There is good video from Doug Polk, where he explains, why it is more profitable to balance your range instead of going only with "best hands":

S

segbball

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless you can limp in a pocket pair of 7's or better is a good rule of thumb for tourney's. Picked it up from a Hellmuth tutorial and put it to the test. It actually pushed me further into tourney's.

Best of Luck!

W

WisdomMan87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have to do some leg work and find charts saying what hands you should play in each spot

example you have A5 utg 6max well its not as good if you had a5 sb vs bb if folded around to you, for people early position will usually come in the pot with stronger starting hands and fold weaker hands early position

R

Running Nose II

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To try to memorize a chart with percentage starting hands is purely insane.
I don't think you have a clue what the game is about. You can find premium starting hands in any decent poker book but these are compounded by the position you are sitting at on any particular hand. The later your position the more lassitude you have, and to play more starting hands. Forget your charts!

S

sarniack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To try to memorize a chart with percentage starting hands is purely insane.

I think you are dead wrong here. While may be insane (or too much) to memorize 3bet / 4bet spots, it is actually very profitable to at least memorize "raise first in" charts (when all other players folded to you). And while it should be only a starting point and game type / table dynamics should play a huge role in adjusting those ranges, it is still solid base to your preflop play.

It is actually not that hard to remember the range, because you will obviously will opening top of the range - so the only thing to remember is bottom of your range, in other words, ask yourself a question: what are the worst hands I will be typically opening on certain position. Also, you don't have to memorize all full ring positions. It impacted my game a lot when I learned ranges for early, middle and late positions - this is not that much. I linked some charts by position in my post above, but there is also Slansky's starting hand groups, wich is another way of learning preflop game. I think that it is insane to not at least try to learn it as a starting point ;)

M

Marmot66

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is an easy one , AA KK QQ also AKs and AKo is a good hand.

AA is the king.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands