What is the best learning path in poker?

R

rula91

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hello,
lets say you start from absolute zero, witch is the best learning path to take?

table positions
bankrollmanagement
startinghands
pot odds

...?

i ask this because when you start out you there is no structure or clear starting point.

thanks rula91

Last edited by a moderator:
E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I

Igrok1385385

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way of learning in poker - a game. Hundreds of books and smart tips will not help if you do not try to apply them in the game. Win, lose, follow the rules and good advice, and play again. Only by personal experience can become professionalom.No this is my opinion.

P

pacificatorul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Start with lowest limits and study hard. Read some books and watch videos. Try to understand what is explained. Also try to include those tips that you get in your game, until you really get them. Step by step improvement is the key! Gl!

mpelletier92

mpelletier92

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd go with learning Starting hands first and then Table position because one relates to the other.

777jeton777

777jeton777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PRACTICE!!! Here is the surest way to learn. Only your mistakes will make you not to repeat them again. Good luck.:pcguru:

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone is right. Well not everyone.

You really do have to play to learn. Even if you read and take courses and watch videos, none of this will sink in until you play and try these things. Playing free poker will get you familiar with all of this and you will learn a lot fast. Then you can start to play with your hard earned money.

There is a myriad of data available, but a few of the sites that are good for getting started are:

Card Player poker school - https://www.cardplayerpokerschool.com/
The Poker Professor poker school - http://www.pokerprofessor.com/
CardsChat poker strategy articles

This is merely a place to start. As you learn, your appetite will increase for more current and more advanced concepts.

Good luck.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I were to start teaching someone from ground zero I would hand them a hand rankings chart - tell them study it, learn it and memorize it. Give them a second sheet to the rules and order of Texas holdem and how it is played. Third I would tell them to download an App like Zynga poker or the wsop app and play, play, play, play until we understand the fundamentals of the game and the baseline dynamics of how the game is played, how made hands fair at showdown and more importantly how the betting order/dynamic goes. Once they are familiar enough with the game to play on the app and be able to describe what hand they have made/what they are drawing for and they understand how to raise and fold and such - then we can move onto refinementS in their game.

I would first teach table position - correct hand ranges (what you should be playing and from what position), and proper bet sizing. These 3 fundamentals are key after we know how to play the game on it's most basic level. Implementing these 3 strategies will be immensely helpful in a short period of time.

Once we have those 3 keys understood we can dive into deeper strategies, the math behind it all, asking crucial questions, learning to bluff, etc. Its just always something new to learn and grow on with poker.

All this being said I need you and other readers to understand there are NO easy paths to getting better at this game. It will take TONS of hands and aloooot of hours at the tables to sharpen and hone your game. It is tough work, and you need to be dedicated to doing it. I myself study at least 3 days per week, lately it's been closer to 5. I have a normal job, and a wife but no children yet. Thankfully she knows how much I enjoy the game and how hard I work at it so she puts up with the hours I put into it.

I hope this little bit of information helps and I hope that it is beneficial to someone down the line. Thanks for reading.

E

Ender70

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
By playing hands. After you play a bunch of hands and understand the basic rules then I'd suggest looking into strategies like math/odds.

I think at first a player should learn how to play ABC poker well before change styles.

Therminator

Therminator

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My learning path would be to first learn the rules of poker (I promise I'm not being a snarky ass, I swear some people I play against don't even know hand strength). Second I'd learn all you can about how much to bet at which time. Than you go into micro stakes and super cheap sit and gos and get your ass whooped. Learn how to deal with failure from that while simultaneously gaining the most valuable thing you can, experience.

K

Ktv2018

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My learning path would be to first learn the rules of poker (I promise I'm not being a snarky ass, I swear some people I play against don't even know hand strength). Second I'd learn all you can about how much to bet at which time. Than you go into micro stakes and super cheap sit and gos and get your ass whooped. Learn how to deal with failure from that while simultaneously gaining the most valuable thing you can, experience.

I agree 100% , you need experience, how to deal with failure first , play micro-stakes and then you can put your money down and play.
also its not to bad to play some live poker with friends or at a local game night to see how do people react and also to see the hands they play (in live poker usually you see more hands )

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hello,

table positions
bankrollmanagement
startinghands
pot odds

i ask this because when you start out you there is no structure or clear starting point.

thanks rula91

Because you are starting out new -

1. Starting Hands
2. Position
3. pot odds
4. bankroll Management

But all are very important to have a winning poker game.

Position is really very important in no limit.

But, if you perfect your starting hands - then the whole game will be easier for you.

Good luck !

jovan123

jovan123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Start from absolute scratch get a good book like supersytem and get the basics of poker first then I'd recommend watching streams or some YouTube tutorials

gupiel0k69

gupiel0k69

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Avoiding tilt and overall mental stability is super important too, although imo it's somewhat correlated with proper bankroll managment.

A

ayt183

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
the network has a lot of interesting things about how to play poker correctly sometimes contradicting each other. math and position are very important but the decision is made depending on many factors and only practice will show how correct the theory is

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hello,

table positions
bankrollmanagement
startinghands
pot odds

...?

thanks rula91

Hey there, great question!

I structured my youtube content in this specific way to help with people who are just starting out. Here are the playlists which if watched in order will give you a very clear understanding of the game and a solid foundation in the important areas!

General / Overall - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrNnyWekagO_N2USvvxB2ykzb_kQn0hy

Preflop concepts - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrNnyWekagNb29kqjl89ZuHBfDMHUJNr

Postflop concepts - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrNnyWekagNYv_gR78DKHnIopFydVPEP

Adjusting to opponents - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrNnyWekagOoExJPqtRmidlSDjsIBxIl

If you feel like you need any new stuff beyond that just check my newer videos!
Hope that helps, and good luck on the tables my friend!

K

kubistok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PRACTICE!!! Here is the surest way to learn. Only your mistakes will make you not to repeat them again. Good luck.:pcguru:
practice practice practice