What is a not obvious skill to have that make you a better poker player? (or a tip)

• Thread starter italorohdrigues
  • Start date
italorohdrigues

italorohdrigues

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are plenty of good content to study poker on the internet, and there are a lot of people sharing their thoughts and tips on how to improve your game

Most of them covers the same things though, not that this is a bad thing, articles like "10 Tips for Winning online poker" from Cardschat are awesome and you should definitely read them!

But what is an uncommon or at least not some much talked about tip or skill to have that helps you when it comes to playing your best game at the tables?

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think table and game selection are 2 of the most important factors, but they are both ignored by many.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Being able to move to a table you feel more comfortable at. If the play is too intense or not your style that you can play, move to a different table.

kucu2014

kucu2014

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the most important thing is patience. You have to wait for the best moment and card

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The ability to fold a big hand,,,

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Understanding ICM to its fullest.... if you have to ask what ICM is, that shows this is not as obvious as some would think. :)

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Knowing when to leave the table. Sometimes you just have to get up and try again some other day when you're not as tired/tilted/etc., instead of chasing losses and making them bigger.

That old saying comes to mind: when you're in a hole, stop digging.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think self-control is very important. That is, when the player keeps his emotions under control and makes decisions only on the basis of his own experience and skills.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think my best tip is to be willing to fold pocket aces when any pair is on the board. So many times the sb or bb was able to see the flop cheap from slow playing AA. Raise preflop, to avoid losing alot post flop

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Discipline. Its a game that requires a lot of discipline.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the ability to let go of a hand that started off strong but after seeing the community cards becomes suspect. You have to be able to let this hand go to save your chipstack.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Be willing to gamble when you need to.

It always feels better to stay in control of when you a play big pots or get all-in during a tournament. But you need to be able to let go of that to make an odds call that's usually a flip, or a jam that's profitable but gets called a lot against short stacks, etc.

italorohdrigues

italorohdrigues

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Understanding ICM to its fullest.... if you have to ask what ICM is, that shows this is not as obvious as some would think. :)

I didn't knew about ICM a while ago, I lost the count of how many times I ruined my gains for risking my stack when I had already garanted a bigger prize

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Work ethic and discipline. I know it's not the answer that anybody wants to hear but it is true. I got good at poker and turned pro because I have played way, way, way more poker than most people. Same with every other pro I know :)

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I think the ability of a player to critically evaluate their own chances of winning is important. In addition, a good player should always pragmatically evaluate the strategy and tactics of his opponents and, based on that, make changes to his game.

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Experience and knowledge come while playing!Without analysis and analysis of hands, too, can not do!Live and learn!

P

pacificatorul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Keeping your ego under control

Pokersolomdp

Pokersolomdp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pokerhola

Hello how are you? I am studying poker, I just set cardchat 10 tips to win online. Thank you very much really are very good :)

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I had known about the lack of skills, I would have paid diligent attention to them. Sometimes disadvantages can be turned into a discomfort for others.

V

valen_niyee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being able to move to a table you feel more comfortable at. If the play is too intense or not your style that you can play, move to a different table.
How to switch table?

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Madness...You should be mad. Or you can't survive. Without crazy luck.

EvaQueen777

EvaQueen777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Talant

It seems to me nothing and no one will teach a person until he wants it himself. It is worth listening to the advice of famous poker players. But don't repeat their game. You won't be like Elki and Nigreanu. You can not. They have their own game. Or as isildur. Nobody knows what is in their heads. You must have your own game. And other people's advice should be taken with caution. Play how you feel. Do not spoil your game with other people's thoughts. You should feel the poker yourself.
Good luck):cool: