What is a good starting hand in Omaha?

motonutz

motonutz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So CardsChat has introduced me to many other websites such as black Chip poker, and they give away a lot of free rolls all day long. And one of the free rules they give is for Omaha. Now don't ask me how but I have finished in the money four times lol not knowing what I'm doing.

But what I think is a good hole card is either a strong pair with of the some suit or three cards running to a straight. So what in your suggestion is good hold cards to call the initial bet preflop? And what is a good hand to call at showdown? Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So CardsChat has introduced me to many other websites such as black Chip poker, and they give away a lot of free rolls all day long. And one of the free rules they give is for Omaha. Now don't ask me how but I have finished in the money four times lol not knowing what I'm doing.

But what I think is a good hole card is either a strong pair with of the some suit or three cards running to a straight. So what in your suggestion is good hold cards to call the initial bet preflop? And what is a good hand to call at showdown? Thank you very much.

Thank you for posting.

Luuk Botter has some good youtube videos on micro stakes PLO check those out.

Your thinking is correct in that you do want at least 3 of the cards in your hand to work well together.

Their is only one big pair in PLO AA. All the other pairs are set mine pairs multiway as your V will call with any Axxx hands

PLO is a game of making the nuts so 3rd nut flush- bottom straights etc are bet half pot fold to raise type hands

Hope this helps
:):)

K

kidrock1211

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends a lot on if it is Hi LO or reg. Hi-Lo a hand with ace 2 in it is huge!

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
7248 I think it's true lol.

motonutz

motonutz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi low

It depends a lot on if it is Hi LO or reg. Hi-Lo a hand with ace 2 in it is huge!

Yeah I've noticed sometimes after The Showdown the hands are split one person gets half the pot will the other person gets the other half and they didn't have the same hands so yeah I do and hi low. But is it a Hi-Lo Ace of Spades?

And yeah thank you for the other replies it's starting to make sense now LOL

C

checkraiser

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for posting.

Luuk Botter has some good youtube videos on micro stakes PLO check those out.

Your thinking is correct in that you do want at least 3 of the cards in your hand to work well together.

Their is only one big pair in PLO AA. All the other pairs are set mine pairs multiway as your V will call with any Axxx hands

PLO is a game of making the nuts so 3rd nut flush- bottom straights etc are bet half pot fold to raise type hands

Hope this helps
:):)

Very helpful, thanks.

I've played a couple times online now on free sites and was astounded at how things like 3rd nut flush often end up getting crushed. In two hours of play I also saw (not my hands) straight flushes twice and quads three times. Also, when people bet or raised big on the river, they almost always seemed to have it and weren't bluffing (LOL me- I was the one calling and losing)- e.g. I had K-Q-10-8 and the board was 8-8-5-K-3....so when I was raised on the river I was thinking what are the odds that the V has K-K-x-x... and of course they did lol.

C

cotydys

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like playing any paired hand or two of a suit, see the flop and adjust accordingly.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands