Views on up swing

M

marlonksmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guys Guys Guys,

I am still to jump into the mirco stakes but ive had my head in a book for too long lol i am curious as to peoples thoughts on using training materials such as up swing so early on... i don't know if i am over thinking here or not :/ any point of views would go a long way, thanks:eek:

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I read all the new articles from Doug Polk. I signed up for the free part of upswing. I also get all the free content from Jonathan Little. Both send articles and videos to my email almost daily. Some is for high stakes pros but the majority is for beginner to intermediate players. Those emails and pokerstars School is where Ive learned the majority of useful information. Im subscribed to Doug Polk and Jonathan Littles youtube channels. Check them out. It will get your head out of a book while still learning ��

M

marlonksmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read all the new articles from Doug Polk. I signed up for the free part of upswing. I also get all the free content from Jonathan Little. Both send articles and videos to my email almost daily. Some is for high stakes pros but the majority is for beginner to intermediate players. Those emails and Pokerstars School is where Ive learned the majority of useful information. Im subscribed to Doug Polk and Jonathan Littles youtube channels. Check them out. It will get your head out of a book while still learning ��

Cheers for that I’ve just signed up for upswings free content and will check out Johnathan little! Are you playing the micros stakes ? If so what Bar Sid you start with and stakes, if you don’t mind me asking :)

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cheers for that I’ve just signed up for upswings free content and will check out Johnathan little! Are you playing the micros stakes ? If so what Bar Sid you start with and stakes, if you don’t mind me asking :)

Yes Im playing some micros mostly freerolls. Ive not deposited any and I have around $100 spread between 4 sites. I wont risk but $.10 at a time since my bankroll is so small and I want to insure I never go broke. Small field sit n gos they are good practice. My plan is to never deposit except to meet withdraw requirements one of these days.
I have played some spin and gos at Pokerstars. I won a few tickets in the school forum. I like them, but very risky with wide variance and Im not that good at them.
Study is the key. I just started online the end of January. Didnt win anything until mid March. When the studying started to show small results.

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like Upswing. If you haven't noticed, they focus on tournaments. Their free stuff is good, and I've even paid for some of their cheaper stuff and feel that it was worth it.

R

rproctor5076

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ya i think upswing is a good source i learned a couple valuable methods from doug polk

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All info is good info , i am dubious about all the new training sites teaching novice players a lag style of poker though with 16% UTG ranges etc.. Most novice players just cant play a winning lag style of poker, if infact any novice player can. And i think the ranges can be a losing prospect for many players they are teaching this style to. So ye all info is still good info to have but id personally probably look for some very solid micro stakes coaches to begin with as well. And get a wide and varied view so you aren't attacking the game from one style of poker that you have learned.

Last edited:
M

marlonksmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like Upswing. If you haven't noticed, they focus on tournaments. Their free stuff is good, and I've even paid for some of their cheaper stuff and feel that it was worth it.

Cheers for that, out of curiosity do you play cash or tournaments

M

marlonksmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All info is good info , i am dubious about all the new training sites teaching novice players a lag style of poker though with 16% UTG ranges etc.. Most novice players just cant play a winning lag style of poker, if infact any novice player can. And i think the ranges can be a losing prospect for many players they are teaching this style to. So ye all info is still good info to have but id personally probably look for some very solid micro stakes coaches to begin with as well. And get a wide and varied view so you aren't attacking the game from one style of poker that you have learned.

thanks for that response it doesn’t resonate with myself as I’m hoping on cash 6 max...
I am hoping to adopt a more tight aggressive style, after reading the grinders manual I think that will be a good sourse to study to continue get me going. :eek:

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thanks for that response it doesn’t resonate with myself as I’m hoping on cash 6 max...
I am hoping to adopt a more tight aggressive style, after reading the grinders manual I think that will be a good sourse to study to continue get me going. :eek:

I love 6 max myself it's a great version of the game and i play something around 25/20.Ive always prefered playing Tag but i started off as a fish obviously. And then went to playing a Nit style when i began to learn the game and then transitioned to Tag after some time. And that's the style i have always felt most comfotable playing and what i continue to play. Obviously adjusments are made in game but that's my default game at the start of sessions without info.

Last edited:
A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cheers for that, out of curiosity do you play cash or tournaments
Mostly tournaments, so I like the tournament focus. Of course, there's plenty of overlap in strategy, especially post-flop.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the info, I'm going to check out upswing. I'm one for books as well (love Harrington) and never made a deposit on ACR but I have $200 now, although it has taken me years :) I like the idea of mastering the sit and go's and trying to make that profitable as I don't always have time to play the tourneys.

M

marlonksmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love 6 max myself it's a great version of the game and i play something around 25/20.Ive always prefered playing Tag but i started off as a fish obviously. And then went to playing a Nit style when i began to learn the game and then transitioned to Tag after some time. And that's the style i have always felt most comfotable playing and what i continue to play. Obviously adjusments are made in game but that's my default game at the start of sessions without info.

Interesting man, guess most start of at the fish level lol one thing I wonderd with the nit style was, aren’t you quite transparent to the others players with gaps to attack you easily, how long did it take you to learn tactics around that if you don’t mind me asking :)

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am also one of the "no deposit" players. I have about $200 in ACR and BOL that will be stuck there unless I figure out how to get it out without depositing.

I also like books - I like to hold something in my hand that I can take notes on or mark pages.

As for online training - Here is how I rank some of the free content on online training sites (of course this is just my opinion and I do not pay for this either - I guess I am a little too cheep):
  1. Upswing - I like this content and it makes real good sense to me.
  2. Poker Academy - they had a free tournament series taught by Rep Porter that was pretty good.
  3. Card Player Poker School - card player magazine has a good poker training site that had articles and videos on specific subjects and had quizzes to go along with it. A lot of free content. https://www.cardplayerpokerschool.com/
  4. Redchip/Splitsuit - these two are pretty good, though it seems it is generally more cash game focused. This can really hurt your tournament play if you do not understand the subtle differences between the two.
  5. Jonathan Little Stuff - this is OK, a lot of fluff and can come off as a little condescending.
  6. Alex Fitzgerald - seems OK, but at times seems inconsistent with itself, and definitely a little condescending.
Just an opinion.

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learning materials are always good.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say get off the diving board and jump in the game. Its great that you are learning and picking up any info you can, but you are missing the most important part of learning anything - Applying what you learned!

I recommend taking one of those videos or resources and focusing on a principle as you play a game, take notes as you play, and then reassess how you did after re-watching or re-reading that info. Then ask yourself the following:

Did I truly understand the concept I tried to apply?
Did I apply it correctly?
If not, what did I do wrong?
What did I do well?
What could I have done better?
What adjustments do I need to make going forward?

Then have another session, rinse and repeat. Spend some time on one thing before you move to the next.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting man, guess most start of at the fish level lol one thing I wonderd with the nit style was, aren’t you quite transparent to the others players with gaps to attack you easily, how long did it take you to learn tactics around that if you don’t mind me asking :)

There enough fish to not worry about the reg's that much and the reg's have plenty of leaks themselves generally speaking. Most sites have plenty of Nit's verging on Tag's beating the games im not talking about playing 10/8 or something rediculously tight though.

sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the info, I'm going to check out upswing. I'm one for books as well (love Harrington) and never made a deposit on ACR but I have $200 now, although it has taken me years :) I like the idea of mastering the sit and go's and trying to make that profitable as I don't always have time to play the tourneys.

I love the Harrington books as well...although I haven’t read his latest on Modern Tournament Poker that came out 5-6yrs ago. Would you recommend I get it, or am I ok with his original series on tournament play?

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
To join or not to join a site, that is the question. Just like in playing a hand of poker, the answer is" It depends".

I have been a part of some of these sites. There information can be extremely helpful, and deep and a lot of information to learn and apply into you game. The problem is if you are playing free-rolls and low stakes poker its not really useful and price wise smart. If you are looking to work your way up to higher stakes poker both live and online, they would be very helpful. If you are just going to play for fun at low stakes its not worth the money. If you do decide to go this route and sign up for one of these sites, do be prepared to spend a lot of time working on your game.

B

Benego

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exactly!
Learn a lot from their free content but also from Alec's conscious poker free content
I tried his 2 week membership trial which he charges 50 bucks and I'm thinking of joining, so many many videos, hands, both cash and tournament, plus you get to ask him whatever you want, that can be good, right?

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been a part of some of these sites. There information can be extremely helpful, and deep and a lot of information to learn and apply into you game. The problem is if you are playing free-rolls and low stakes poker its not really useful and price wise smart.

Not only does some of the content not make sense from a price perspective, e.g., paying $200+ when you're playing at microstakes, but some of the content may not even apply.

For example playing a mixed strategy in order to confuse your opponents who are paying close attention probably doesn't make sense since hardly anyone is paying close attention at the micros.

And in tournaments, you would almost never want to raise/fold with a short stack because observant opponents can exploit that...but again, at micro stakes, you're not playing against observant opponents.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Exactly!
Learn a lot from their free content but also from Alec's conscious poker free content
I tried his 2 week membership trial which he charges 50 bucks and I'm thinking of joining, so many many videos, hands, both cash and tournament, plus you get to ask him whatever you want, that can be good, right?

:eek:A 2 week trial for $50.00, Ouch

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'll check these free lessons out. I can use all the help I can get.