Various questions about strategy

Satiivas

Satiivas

Enthusiast
Total posts
1) Recently, I have heard/seen in different spots, that you should almost always make a small bet (30%?) with your entire betting range on monotone flops. Why is that? Is the statement even true?
Just as a speculation, I would say that people play quite straightforward on these flops and fold the vast majority of unmade hands, that don't have a flush draw. Am I close and what other reasons are there?

2) I am unsure about my thought process including equities in general. For example, imagine you have a draw, let's say a gutshot on the flop. Your opponent bets small enough, that in case you would see both the turn and the river, it would be a profitable call, but at the same time, you can´t guarantee you will ever get to the river, because your opponent can bet you off the hand on the turn and the bet is big enough to not be a profitable one if you see one street only. What is the correct way to think about this situation? What kind of factors do you have to consider here? For the simplicity of this very broad question, you don´t have any showdown value, just a pure draw.

E

eetenor

Legend
Total posts
Awards
1) Recently, I have heard/seen in different spots, that you should almost always make a small bet (30%?) with your entire betting range on monotone flops. Why is that? Is the statement even true?
Just as a speculation, I would say that people play quite straightforward on these flops and fold the vast majority of unmade hands, that don't have a flush draw. Am I close and what other reasons are there?

2) I am unsure about my thought process including equities in general. For example, imagine you have a draw, let's say a gutshot on the flop. Your opponent bets small enough, that in case you would see both the turn and the river, it would be a profitable call, but at the same time, you can´t guarantee you will ever get to the river, because your opponent can bet you off the hand on the turn and the bet is big enough to not be a profitable one if you see one street only. What is the correct way to think about this situation? What kind of factors do you have to consider here? For the simplicity of this very broad question, you don´t have any showdown value, just a pure draw.

Thank you for posting

point 1

How do we analyze this strategy.

We always want to look at the 3 options our V have after we bet.
Fold/Call/Raise

As you stated the V will fold a wide range to any size so small sizing is all that is necessary.

Call- V will call most flush draw cards for 1 street so we get value from those hands if we are ahead and we trap them for extra bets if we have a better flush draw or made flush already.
If we have no flush cards we do not want to build a big pot for them to win by making a flush on turn and river.

As we want to bet to win on the flop often we make the same sizing with better hands as well

As we are betting often our V can and should raise us for value and as bluffs. Betting smaller means we lose less when we fold and it costs us less when we call to hit our own flush draws.

Hope this helps
:):):)

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Total posts
1) From my experience, you should make a small bet with 100% range if your opponent has pretty much nothing to risk for. The prime example is BB check to a limp and then don't fit a flop. Til your opponents don't place to much money in a pot it's your chance to shake them off.

2) As for the draw, you should pay for it only when you're playing deepstack vs deepstack and your opponent ready to pay it off properly. Otherwise it won't worth it. The exception would be the monster draw, starting with OESD + 2 overcards or maybe flush draw + ace and better.
Usually the weak draw as a gutshot used for bluffing purposes. For example you could expect a fold from c-bet'er with overcards to a big check-raise.
GL:cool:

Satiivas

Satiivas

Enthusiast
Total posts
Thank you for posting

point 1

How do we analyze this strategy.

We always want to look at the 3 options our V have after we bet.
Fold/Call/Raise

As you stated the V will fold a wide range to any size so small sizing is all that is necessary.

Call- V will call most flush draw cards for 1 street so we get value from those hands if we are ahead and we trap them for extra bets if we have a better flush draw or made flush already.
If we have no flush cards we do not want to build a big pot for them to win by making a flush on turn and river.

As we want to bet to win on the flop often we make the same sizing with better hands as well

As we are betting often our V can and should raise us for value and as bluffs. Betting smaller means we lose less when we fold and it costs us less when we call to hit our own flush draws.

Hope this helps
:):):)

Great explanation, thank you!

Satiivas

Satiivas

Enthusiast
Total posts
1) From my experience, you should make a small bet with 100% range if your opponent has pretty much nothing to risk for. The prime example is BB check to a limp and then don't fit a flop. Til your opponents don't place to much money in a pot it's your chance to shake them off.

2) As for the draw, you should pay for it only when you're playing deepstack vs deepstack and your opponent ready to pay it off properly. Otherwise it won't worth it. The exception would be the monster draw, starting with OESD + 2 overcards or maybe flush draw + ace and better.
Usually the weak draw as a gutshot used for bluffing purposes. For example you could expect a fold from c-bet'er with overcards to a big check-raise.

GL:cool:

Thanks for replying and for your input!

I think I was not clear enough with my 2nd question, let me try that again: if you are on the flop getting great odds for your draw assuming you see two more cards, is calling still profitable even if you can't be 100% sure you will get to the river at all?