Varience

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you help deal with varience, I know tight BRM is essential. Ive had one of the biggest swings in a while that doesnt seem to end. I have lost 25% of my BR within the past few weeks. Im sticking to my BRM and moving down the stakes but I am unable to grab back at my bacnkroll..

Any help would be alot of help :)

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's really important at times like this to focus on scenarios that are causing problems. Find where you're bleeding, and work to improve that aspect. Pick one thing at a time and practice doing it better.

Review the big pots you won and lost. Really dig into your play and make sure you're doing the nuts and bolts well.

You say you lost 25% of your roll, how many BI's was that?

Z

zefalosss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a lot of issues with brm, hope you are better than me with brm .maybe you need to take a little break, or just switch to cash or mtts depends what are you playing

T

Thenextbigthing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No one can help you because it comes down to your will power you have to understand stand variance is part of the game and you will always will get it in good and lose a percentage of the time of course you already no these things so why can't you just suck it up it's probably because your Geting to attached to the money or the dream of being an awesome player who makes it pro and when you lose it feels like it's slipping away I doubt you lost 25 percent all to variance tilt probably took a good junk too there is no magical words or poker books to help you how bad do you personally want to be a winner rocky has a good quote that I use when I drop a buyin to a rough beat "it's not about how hard you can hit it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward" so next time variance strikes tell your self this right here is what is going to make me a champion I'm going to fold these hands and wait for a better spot it hurts that my aces just got cracked but I'm going to sit through this suffering to get to where I want to be I'm willing to take the hits.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No one can help you because it comes down to your will power you have to understand stand variance is part of the game and you will always will get it in good and lose a percentage of the time of course you already no these things so why can't you just suck it up it's probably because your Geting to attached to the money or the dream of being an awesome player who makes it pro and when you lose it feels like it's slipping away I doubt you lost 25 percent all to variance tilt probably took a good junk too there is no magical words or poker books to help you how bad do you personally want to be a winner rocky has a good quote that I use when I drop a buyin to a rough beat "it's not about how hard you can hit it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward" so next time variance strikes tell your self this right here is what is going to make me a champion I'm going to fold these hands and wait for a better spot it hurts that my aces just got cracked but I'm going to sit through this suffering to get to where I want to be I'm willing to take the hits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably the best reply I've had, its not the attachment of the money as any money on my bankroll is just digits to me I am very good at not seeing it as money which has helped be get to the point i am at.

I re viewed my hands whilst i was loosing sessions and realised I must have been tilted as I was making bad calls and bad bluffs in all the wrong situations. I am still relatively new to poker but over this year I have increased my bankroll dramatically. Next time I start having a loosing session I will just quit and pick it up another day.

Currently playing a MTT and came across runner runner - https://gyazo.com/7dd125f37592a47419263c16dd3dba93
All in after the flop..

G

gmafia456

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i would take a break and re-focuse. that always helps.

D

dontquit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree. Take time out. Go get drunk. Have mad wild sex. Then get back in and refocus!

S

SnowedIn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep last two posters have it right i think. Don't play for a week. Come back feeling fresh.

S

ShoTyme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're playing with proper brm then you should chalk it up to variance. Tilt, for me anyway, is usually averted by property brm alone. But also make sure you are also stealing small pots when appropriate. I just hear a lot of people whining about bad beats when they don't have enough of a stack to give others an opportunity to fold. Basically critically analyze your entire gameplay before you play again.

2Pacavelli

2Pacavelli

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To combat the variance ideally lower the buy-in and increase the volume and
when regain confidence , return to play the previous buy-in

bprpm

bprpm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is that sometimes we win a lot of money, sometimes we lost but we must play always our A game, I know with a downswing we lost confidence, we normally easy get in tilt... But we need to win the tilt, the downswing and always play our A game, for example if we have a big downswing normally a lot of people plays a bigger tournament or a bigger sit and go, because they think they will win and win and get back to upswing, that's wrong, when this happen we need to player smaller buy ins.. example but this player plays the regular shedule of him without reduce the buy in:
-Friend of pokerstars Jaime Staples he had a big downswing but he never lost confidence and always playing the sames tournaments, this weekend he final tables the sunday warmup for 22k.... This is a good example of "in long term the good players always wins"
But if u think that you're not playing your A game simple take a break, some days to have fun with your friends and family and recovery your confidence and return more stronger than ever and beat the downswing... Good luck :D

R

rlzaleski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to focus on what doesn't happen rather than what does. We watch 20-40 hands while we are card dead and get itchy. But at the same time, we could probably watch 3x the hands and see them miss, or be second best. I think focusing on that tends to help me.

Everything really is psychological. And so starting off hand by hand and trying to see you are making the right decision most of the time helps. Double checking the odds on a bad beat and seeing you made the right play is good. It hurts sometimes, but if you can just lower the stakes so it doesn't hurt.