Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
One more strategy, value betting, very interesting topic. Am I the only one who noticed the question was missing from the video?

07/30.

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I realized that maybe I should pay more attention to betting patterns to determine ranges.

If you are better at marking a range of the player and you have him beat then it helps to size a bet that you think he may call. I have been guilty of pot sized bets and making opponents fold instead of getting that last sheriff call on the showdown.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I realized that maybe I should pay more attention to betting patterns to determine ranges.

If you are better at marking a range of the player and you have him beat then it helps to size a bet that you think he may call. I have been guilty of pot sized bets and making opponents fold instead of getting that last sheriff call on the showdown.

This is a good lesson to learn. I see a lot of pot-sized bets that end of confusing me when I see the opponent's hands.

jonasz warzecha

jonasz warzecha

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
In last hand in video
After Ace hit the board should we value bet before river to check if villain can beat us???
If he had call our bet we would know maybe he’s got ace, if raise maybe save us from loosing all chips.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
This chapter is one of the most important of the book and I would like to observe a few things:

“Betting with a probable best hand is called making a value bet. There are multiple other reasons to bet, such as betting as a bluff with the aim of getting a better hand to fold.”

The chapter/day 7 dictates the principle of poker and why we do play it: to value bet, which means betting with the best hand to get called for a worse/dominated hand. At micro stakes, e.g, many players are addicted to any aces. So we suppose one of these players is sitting in the Big Blind and we raise 2.5x sitting in the BTN holding AQo: Villain in the Big Blind calls and the flop comes TA6, and we know villain likes to play any ace. BB checks and we could/should make a value bet, because if he has any ace, he’s going to call at least two streets of value. Some will even put up all-in, or donk bet flop/turn/river owning dominated aces, in this case we should bet/raise for value.
Now the opposite of value betting is quite tricky, because we do bet in order to make best hands to fold. To achieve this level we must know our opponent, know his probable range of hands and a bit of meta-thinking.
Many players will cry out that “villain should’ve folded in a situation like this or that”, when villain hero calls our bluff. But there are players that simply cannot be bluffed out of the pot, because they don’t comprehend some poker fundamentals and are only looking to the absolute value of their hands.
It is good to try to bluff more experienced players instead of beginners, because these players are capable of leaving TPTK, Two Pair, Sets in a coordinated board, straights when there are three or more cards of the same suit on the board, and to fold flushes, when there are doubled cards on the board. Some players are capable of folding even full-houses, in this situation/versus this kind of disciplined regulars, we can bet for bluff when we are able to represent and tell a coherent story from the preflop action until the turn or river.
So we must master range reading and opponent reading in order to bet either for bluff or value:

“The decision about whether or not you can value bet normally depends on your ability to put your opponent on a range. If you have the nuts, then you can of course always value bet. If you have the nut low -- the worst possible hand -- then you probably shouldn’t value bet!”

Nandabio81

Nandabio81

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I'm going to assess the probability that
I have the best hand to decide if I should bet for value.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Day 7 finished:
Value betting was a good topic added to my knowledge.
Thanks.

MikeDeez

MikeDeez

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
I used to just try to win the hand but now after learning the concept of value betting, I try to get the most out of my winning hands. Thanks again for the elevation and the thought process involved in making the best BET!

Anamembu

Anamembu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Day 7 completed. It's true, understanding bet value in poker is essential for maximizing profits with our strong hands and optimizing our strategy. Thank you for sharing this valuable lesson!

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars