Unpaired face cards

TheSeaWizard

TheSeaWizard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to ask you folks, what would you consider as a good strategy when it comes to cards that are unpaired face cards? I know the combinations would be:

KQ
KJ
QJ
KQ suited
KJ suited
QJ suited

And specifically, I'm talking face cards that don't even have an ace or ten as a second hole card. How should I play these hands on the button? How should I play them in early or middle position?

These hands I'm usually dealt in a 9-max NLHE table cash game and the type of cash game where I'm up against a handful of LAGs looking for action raising in late position or even on the button. And when I'm dealt these hands on the button, I get small raises of say $7 or even as much of $15 preflop. And in tournaments, the stakes tend to go up fast and after five to ten minutes of folding, I get a hand like KQ suited.

Last edited:
M

MarineCJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many in Pot? Is there a raise? Are you first in? to many scenarios to answer as they are situational hands.

Madzapzay

Madzapzay

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How I play these hands pre flip often is determined by position

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the button I would be looking to play for 3-5BBs (whether it's a bet, raise or call).
In early to mid position, I would never limp because that shows too much weakness. I would open for 1-2 BBs in the hopes you only get callers. Then if you get a raise call up to a total of 4BBs and fold anything higher.

shykarno

shykarno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
certainly need a position. without a position, I can not even play KQ. and with the position and 89 normal.