Two Ways to Prevent Bad Beats - School and Patience

imredee

imredee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We all get tired of bad beats and when we lose the excuse we find is that the other player(s) were Donks or the cards were BAD. I am here to say that if you are serious about being good you have to put these excuses aside and work on your game. In the beginning I had no interest in schools, books or lessons offered by the Poker Community. I thought you just put up money and played. That was a big mistake. As time went on I found school as a method of earning points so I could play in special tourneys. Now I realize that it is vital to improving my Poker skills. Let me give you two examples. As I was playing a tournament the other day I used pot odds, hand percentages, online tells and position to work my way through a pretty strong field of 4000 to come in 3rd in a recent tournament. There were 3 times that I was frustrated by aggressive players and got short stacked. In the past I would just push in with a good but not great hand and taken my chances. Instead I used patience and busted both of these players by getting great hands and using check raises. It was by far the most satisfying and one of the memorable high finishes I have had to date.

Do yourself and your game a favor and get to school and learn the P word!

:deal:

diamond_06_06

diamond_06_06

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sorry but school and patience cannot and will not prevent bad beats. Bad beats occur when you put your money into a pot with the best hand only to be outdrawn by a worse hand. As far as I know the only way to avoid bad beats is to consistantly put your money into the pot with the worst hand.

Now obviously constantly putting your money in behind is not a sound strategy. The moral of the story is that you do not want to avoid bad beats (if you are playing well and outplaying your opponents one of the consequences is that you will from time to time be outdrawn), you should just avoid going on tilt or playing the next hand poorly because you just suffered a bad beat.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are copying and pasting this over multiple forums - is there a point to that?

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok so the OP didn't mention any ways to prevent bad beats, so I'll give you 2:

1. don't play
2. always get your money in bad

Neither is recommended if you actually want to win, but they are 100% proven to get rid of bad beats or your money back ;).

B

beefcake413

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only true way to avoid bad beats is NOT TO PLAY :) And seeing as that's not an option, you unfortunately just have to accept that it's going to happen and be disciplined enough not to let it throw you off your game for the next hand.