Two styles of playing poker - “basic” and “advanced”

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion there are two styles of playing poker. You may call one as “basic” and other as “advanced”.
Basic poker is the one in which we concentrate on “what we have”. If we can connect with flop then we “have something” to play on. This is a basic style. Most common examples are pairs we make with flop. We all play with this style.
And advanced poker is the one where we “have nothing” (not even a pair) after flop was exposed. Yet we decide to play with the anticipation that next 2 cards might change things. Going for a draw is an example of advanced style. This style of poker requires enough skill and experience. As one can guess, if next 2 cards are of no use then heavy losses may occur.
Do you think both styles should be applied while playing?

T

trustmeimdoctor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Those aren't really 2 different playstyles. Yes, they should both be applied but you should always be thinking of hands mathmatically and be trying to calculate pot odds whether it is a draw or made hand. You can play tight or loose and still be playing both types of hands. But you should always be playing both types of hands. You just need to know when to raise, call, or fold with them.

PackinPat

PackinPat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What if the draw is for an inside straight. Is that advanced play?

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Your "basic style" is a method many people adapt. They call it ABC poker that is either have/make a good hand on flop or fold
Your "advanced style" is actually not a style but just one of the many advanced techniques you can use it is called floating.

In order to play effectively you must be able to play both ways. You have to more or less adjust what method you use based on your opponents, your cards and your stack size.

Here is a link to a section with some great information for you. There is a lot of content on the page take your time an go through all of it you will find it useful.

https://www.cardschat.com/poker-strategy.php
In my opinion there are two styles of playing poker. You may call one as “basic” and other as “advanced”.
Basic poker is the one in which we concentrate on “what we have”. If we can connect with flop then we “have something” to play on. This is a basic style. Most common examples are pairs we make with flop. We all play with this style.
And advanced poker is the one where we “have nothing” (not even a pair) after flop was exposed. Yet we decide to play with the anticipation that next 2 cards might change things. Going for a draw is an example of advanced style. This style of poker requires enough skill and experience. As one can guess, if next 2 cards are of no use then heavy losses may occur.

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Inside straight

What if the draw is for an inside straight. Is that advanced play?
Yes, I think it is an advanced play. On very rare occasions i go for such draw. And most of the time i failed to obtain the desired results.

PackinPat

PackinPat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I think it is an advanced play. On very rare occasions i go for such draw. And most of the time i failed to obtain the desired results.
Okay. Considering that you should be bluffing a percentage of the time I will agree that drawing for the inside straight could be considered an advanced play

H

Honest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's all math and psychology.

Your basic style is knowing the strength of your holding, one of the most fundamental aspects of knowing where to go next.

Your advanced style is knowing the probability and possibilities of what's to come next and how that may affect your play and holding.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I think the problem your having is understanding the some of the fundamentals of poker. If you think beginners only play good hands and advanced players only play trash you should really concentrate on playing beginner ABC style poker. You can use this style to focus on hand reading, playing IP and some of the other skills that will help you move from basic to advanced (just not how you think basic and advanced is). You should look into some articles on bluffing so that you understand what exactly this style you are confused by is, and once you learn more about it you can try to exploit it some more.

https://www.cardschat.com/bluffing.php

Check out that article on bluffing by CC and maybe it'll help you understand the concept a bit more. I'd also recommend you look into some articles on pot odds and implied odds because these are going to help you understand when it's still profitable to chase draws and when you need to fold. Good luck moving on from basic poker! :wavey:

Brandlad

Brandlad

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
According to me advanced poker means " effective use of pot control " and effective use of implied odds. Rest of everything is just an ABC poker.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

This is not accurate.. the terms you are referring too are ABC poker and floating. Neither of which I would refer too as "advanced" ABC poker is used sometimes by players of all levels depending on the table dynamic ex. table full of new players to the game or loose passive calling stations.. floating I see more amateurs doing now a days so I wouldn't classify it as an advanced move.. Now where I thought you were going with this is the different levels of poker but even this is meh... Basically advanced thinking is applying proper ranges to your opponents while being aware of your table image. knowing your perceived range, and using calculated odds to make the best move every street. I can go much deeper on this subject but I feel this is a good start..