Transitioning from freerolls to micro MTTs

Vlaad

Vlaad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm a beginner and I'm mainly playing freerolls, since I'm still learning and don't consider myself good enough to risk even small buy-ins. I wonder when it would be reasonable transitioning into playing micros. Let's say I manage to place in the top 40% of these freerolls pretty consistently (with consistently I mean like 4 out of 5 times). Would this suggest that I'm "good enough" for playing micros, or should I be regularly reaching top 20%? I'm playing the bronze member freerolls on pokerstars and GGpoker, if that matters.

I know there's not one way to do it, and it depends on many aspects. I just want to know your opinions and experiences. At what skill level did you start playing micros? Was it too early in your opinion?

sara maria

sara maria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think you have to have experience to play for real money, since it is proven that the bad streak exists, and I do not think that playing a $ 1 tournament you will be poor or you will have to eat stone broth, and you know that nothing risky nothing won . The advice I can give you is that you do not compromise your bankroll if you are not sure, I recommend that you play a maximum of 10% of what you have in your bankroll until you are completely sure of winning, greetings :)

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls have nothing to do with real money, in freerolls players play crazy.
So winning money in freerolls is not going to guarantee that you will win money in real money tournaments.
What matters most is that you play well, and always try to improve, in cardschat you can find a lot of material to improve your game, for example this article is very good.
Become a Winning Poker Player in 30 Days - CardChat.com ™ (cardschat.com)

Cardschat freerolls are very good, because there are few players, unlike other freerolls where there are thousands of players, but they are still freerolls, you will always find players playing crazy, but you have to take it seriously and play the best that you can, so that you play real money tournaments in the same way.
If you want to play real money tournaments, you need 1%, meaning that to play $ 1 tournaments, you need $ 100.

gl :D

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would still keep playing freerolls on the side. maybe build your bankroll from freerolls up to lets say 25$. then start playing 0.25 sit&go's or 0,25 spin&go's (would do sit&go's imo) if you arent a sit&go fan and like tournaments.

play 0,55$ tournaments or 1.10$ but have 100x the buy-ins for those
if you arent feeling it stick to playing freerolls and maybe later try again.

there are some good info on this site for beginners so have a look.

good luck in all your games :)

Vlaad

Vlaad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for your responses :)

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From experience I can tell you that you are going to find the same players in the free as in the micros so the transition does not exist, I recommend you make a good bankroll playing free so gain a little more experience, study more and then go to tournaments with medium or high buy-in

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, you have to just jump into it at some point, if you are serious about online poker. I personally started with play money games. And while they can teach you some of the fundamentals like reading boards, player pool tendencies are so different from real money games, that you are going to need to make adjustments, when you transfer anyway. Mostly there are no "regs" in play money games, while you do find them even in 2NL cash games or in sub 1$ tournaments.

Freerolls are essentially the same as play money games except some restricted ones like the CC platinum level games. These are actually a decent learning ground, and there are also forum member, who have build up a reasonable starting bankroll like 500$ from them. But other than that freerolls are not going to take you very far in a poker "career" :)

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think, you have to just jump into it at some point, if you are serious about online poker. I personally started with play money games. And while they can teach you some of the fundamentals like reading boards, player pool tendencies are so different from real money games, that you are going to need to make adjustments, when you transfer anyway. Mostly there are no "regs" in play money games, while you do find them even in 2NL cash games or in sub 1$ tournaments.

Freerolls are essentially the same as play money games except some restricted ones like the CC platinum level games. These are actually a decent learning ground, and there are also forum member, who have build up a reasonable starting bankroll like 500$ from them. But other than that freerolls are not going to take you very far in a poker "career" :)

This 10000%!!!

If you are ready to play for real money - then its time to take that leap of faith!! Yeah we can grind up a freerolled bankroll - but its a pain to play for 6 or 7 hours to win $10. Throw some money on your chosen site and go for it!! Remember to practice good bankroll management and to play your best game. In MTTs you are only mostly going to lose, so good BRM and game selection will help you combat variance. Its much more satisfying to play for 6 or 7 hours with the potential to win $150+ than it is to play for a top prize of $20 or less. That being said, you can still keep the best paying freerolls on your schedule for the time being until you make a jump in stakes.

As far as player pools are concerned..if you are doing OK in freerolls then you are going to do fine in the micro games as well. I dont play on stars or GG - so for me, ACR has the best micro games bar none. I turned $10 into $100 on ACR exclusively - so I know it can be done.

Anyhow, poker is one of those things to be good at, is going to take alot of your time. If you plan to play seriously (plan on winning some money) then you should dedicate at least 2 nights a week with 2-3 hours (or more) of study time. If you dont have a tracker program like Poker Tracker 4 - get one! The HUD may not be too usable to you at this stage, but logging your hands and tournaments for later review will be invaluable to your growth as a player. Dont be adfraid to invest in yourself!

Anyhow, that's the basic jist of it from me. If you are feeling confident - go for it! Good luck to you

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Should be easy. Its a different breed when you play freerolls. They are not good teachers but good for practice. Its more about knowing yr outs and odds and stuff and knowing what cards can beat you and doin it fast in yr head. Remember you shud play the same if yr in a $1 or $100 tournament. Once you know that then you can go play sit n goes or big money tournys and such or live tables and not do to bad. Good luck.

demesquita

demesquita

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played playmoney for a while while doing freerolls. The first one with a decent position gave me about 6-7 USD and I started playing the 0.25 and 0.10 SnG... That is inside my 5% BR control and no matter how many I don't get into the money, every now and them I get some here and there... I manage to have a much bigger BR now and I'm moving slowly up every time. Always respecting my 5% of the BR buy-in.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a wonderful question, isn't it?

Please also exert yourself now.

The reason that You shift to your cash game thinks like It barks up the wrong tree little.

Freeroll Passwords