Toxic habit I need help to lose

S

SaucyMike

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have this awful habit of imagining winning the tourney when I'm playing and then I daydream about not having to worry about rent and getting a new car, that kind of deal. How do I stop myself from doing this at the poker table, this makes me completely lose concentration and I have a hard time focusing on the game. Thanks in advance for your tips!

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This mentality isn't toxic when you're on break or away from the table. Try focusing more on what other players are doing throughout the game. Your focus should be on everyone who's involved in a hand. There's so much more to think about. If this is still a problem I would study more away from the table because you should have plenty to distract you from these thoughts when you start filling in holes in your game.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You have a creative imagination. Reality hits in when you get ready to cash in your chips at the cashiers cage. Usually, after 20 sessions, you see better odds of how this is unlikely to happen.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think the more you play the less that will happen, reality will sink in.

The main thing is to remind yourself to focus. Try yelling FOCUS! at yourself (in your head not out loud:D) every time the cards are dealt. There are a million 'self help' videos out there that will have tricks you can try to help you focus.

B

beatlebug

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find that blasting music in my ears is a way to take my mind off things that are taking away my focus. Play some good dancing music that will let you move in your seat, and you won't be thinking about the future, you will be having a party in your mind. Hope this helps...

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never stop dreaming Mike,you have to have a goal,or you won't go anywhere.Keep stokin those flames!! :ridinghor

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not what you are thinking about that matters so much as the lack of focus on the game. We all have suffered with that at times.

"what am I doing this weekend? I need to get that report done for work tomorrow. Is my mother in law really coming to visit again? How do they plant seedless cherry trees?"

When you find your thoughts are not on the game, take a moment to stop, get up, walk around the room and then re-engage. It is kind of like your internet modem. Sometimes you need to completely disconnect for 10 seconds so you can get a solid stream going again.

Empress

Empress

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed with previous post -- the more you play, the less this will happen.

I also like to have something else going while playing in a tourney so I don't hyper-focus on the game itself. I find that when I hyper-focus, I end up making stupid mistakes or getting frustrated which leads to more mistakes. Try watching TV in the background or listening to music.

kratos

kratos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to play poker listening to heavy metal songs,such as Sepultura,Lamb of God,Testament etc....

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have this awful habit of imagining winning the tourney when I'm playing and then I daydream about not having to worry about rent and getting a new car, that kind of deal. How do I stop myself from doing this at the poker table, this makes me completely lose concentration and I have a hard time focusing on the game. Thanks in advance for your tips!
I could be mistaken, but I do not believe that there are any professional Head Shrinks on our forums to address your messed up mind….. lol

Try to remember the old saying " Don't count your chickens before they hatch"

Vodnik2017

Vodnik2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to me that much depends on experience. If it turns out that he will catch the key moment, then there is no need to carefully consider that everything that happens at the table

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The more you think, focus on, daydream about results the less likely you are to do well playing. Poker requires practice, study, focus, practice & patience. Success comes over time. You are describing the ol "What if I win the Lottery" approach & as stated by you, you have reaped the results thereof, discipline yourself or invest your money in Lottery tickets.

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have/had the same daydreams.
After two years, they started to fade away ;)

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stop daydreaming about what you could win

Daydreaming about what you could do with lottery winnings is fun and exciting. But you have no control over whether or not that will happen. With poker, you do have control over whether or not you will win and so daydreaming while you are trying to win is obviously too distracting to do good and instead will do harm.
The first thing I would ask yourself is, do you think of poker like gambling to win or like earning to win? If all you want to do is gamble, then by all means continue to daydream as it adds to the fun of the experience. However, if you want to earn that money you need to rein in your thoughts a lot better.
When you are at your job, do you spend all day daydreaming about what you can do with your next paycheck? Or are you focused on the work ahead of you? Most people have a job to do and focus on that. If you want to earn money instead of gamble for it, you nee to approach it from that perspective. This is a job and I have to focus on my job now. It's work. it may be work you love doing, but it's still work and needs to be approached in that way.
If that's still not enough to get those thoughts out of your head, then try this. Whenever you have thoughts of what you could win, force yourself to think about what you have won. If you haven't won anything yet then stop yourself and say you can't think about the future you have to live in the present.

If none of that helps, you may have "intrusive thoughts". They may be benign for now, but could actually indicate a mental health issue you may want to seek treatment for. I only say this because I have them myself and they can get worse, or switch to focusing on less pleasant things if gone untreated.

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

See that these things are normal and it's not just about poker - I'm laughing here. but getting back to the subject, these are just the thoughts and happen in any situation.
The only thing you can do is not embark on thoughts, let them through. the thought just says I'm going to buy a car, you can pay attention or not. In case you care, you will choose value. brand; color...
Thoughts should be like nunvens in the wind, which soon passes. Good luck.

Last edited:
N

notahead

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do this poker isn't fun when you worry about money at play worry first about real life problems rent car etc.. then focus on poker with an amount you can handle to lose once can do this results shouldn't matter to you too much as you can just click redeposit again and remember bad runs can last months at a time but if you not using money you need for much more important life needs this shouldn't be a problem