Too spewy or do I just need patience?

Lugubrious

Lugubrious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tbh maybe i'm not the only one but i'm really good at accumulation chips while we're ITM but can't maintain. Strictly for MTT's once i have 25-30bbs I feel like I have leverage to run over the table and I do for a couple rounds then I dwindle down and get k,o. Maybe i'm lacking patience?? I tell myself that I need 100bbs or nothing, also the payouts are flat and there's no real incentive for me to move up the pay ladder. Can someone guide me in the right direction i would appreciate it very much & GL

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lack of patience and an urge to "make things happen" is probably one of the main reasons why, a lot of people can not success in poker long term. So you are definitely not alone in this. For me it helps a lot to multitable, because if keeps me busy with other tables, while I need to fold my way through a card dead period or a bubble on one of the tables.

And as I think, you already figured out, being a big stack is not a license to get completely out of line. For sure you can find a few good spots to apply ICM-pressure to other players, who understand it, and this is part of tournament strategy. But you can not completely change your game, just because you are an above average stack. Even with a large stack preserving that stack is often more important than trying to make some fancy play.

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try to download some poker tournament books. Some of the older ones you can find online for cheap.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Completely relatable; sometimes I am sitting there and thinking I just need to tighten up a bit more and fold some hands because I'm playing too many hands (even if my stack is growing). Not the only thing I do, but one thing you could try that helped me is to alter my thinking process. Instead of reasoning with myself why play this hand or not, I try to give myself a reason to NOT play the hand. It helps me fold some closer ones that could go either way if I've been playing really loose. Obviously, you'll still be playing the premium and solid hands, but you'll be a bit more selective on the other hands and that will indirectly tighten you up.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
shift change

Certainly, a shift has to change a strategy to after bubble.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You just need some patience.

I know to money on a CC tourney that I need to make it past two breaks. I get so antsy when I have 8k chips after 30 minutes and know I cannot make a penny for another 90 minutes at best. When you force things, sometimes good things cannot happen. Luckily today when I had 8k chips a half hour in, I was not paying close attention. I was dealt KK but did not respond in time. There were 2 callers and both of them would have knocked me out. One who hit an A for a pair of aces which would have beat me and the other player flopped something ridiculous which gave him a straight.