Tips for winning

S

Shab88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, everyone!
What tips do you use to raise your chances while playing poker?

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
blackknives

blackknives

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i look at the odds, get a good idea on what you're probability, what you're chasing,
also never let your emotions control you

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is important to know whom you're playing against, so notes are inevitable as well.

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since you didn't specify dishonest game play. Here are two illegal options that will greatly increase your winning odds, but may also land you in jail or at the very least a few sues.
1. Have a friend feed you everyone's cards via cell phone. Just like Mike Postle did ...(
)

2. Otherwise, you can create your own poker room online, and give yourself superadmin privileges and allow yourself to view everyone cards and crush the opposition... Just like Potripper did ... (
)

There you go, using these methods will guarantee you the best success, by crushing your opponents with a 99.5% effectiveness.

Not into cheating? (Good for you). Then you must study the game a lot.. someone already posted a great guide from CardsChat... Study your opponents by taking notes on their gameplay, specially if you play with them regularly. Take time to think about your actions and how the current hand has developed.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion, the most important thing is to always be patient, follow the bankroll management system and not play with junk. These three components in combination will provide you with a good result.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
to improve your chances of doing well, i think it's important to start with game selection. cash games will play different than sngs, sngs will play different than mtts. going even further, turbo sngs will play different than regular sngs, just like hyper turbo mtts will play differently than pko mtts. i play microstakes mtts, so i'll focus on that.

so, the first step would be to pick the game type you play your best in. personally, i don't like pko mtts that much so i avoid them unless they're really cheap. i prefer to play regular mtt levels over turbos, but still feel more comfortable with turbo mtts than i do hyper turbo mtts.

expanding on the first step, looking at game structure is also important as game selection because not all structures are the same. you want to look at everything like starting stack, starting blinds, blind levels, late registration, the guaranteed prize pool, the payouts, etc. a lot of the time, it might look similar but there could be small changes that could affect your game play.

for example, i'm looking at playing a $2.20 mtt. there is one with a $600 gtd has already started. if i buy-in now, i can start with 20 big blinds. there is also a $1.10 re-buy that's is the near the add-on break. i can buy-in, take the add-on, and start with 20 big blinds. both have same blind levels and blind times. so, which should i play? the buy-in is still the same so, i should play the $600 gtd because of the bigger prize pool, right? well, the $600 gtd mtt still has over 2 hours of late registration and the re-buy's late registration will end after the add-on break. by the time i get pass late registration in the $600 gtd game, i'll be well into the money of the $200 gtd game, and possibly near the final table. i would still have many hours of play in the $600 mtt. also, because of the longer late registration there will be a lot more players i would have to get through, making it harder to run deep and increasing my chances of getting knocked out. in the $200, i only have to get through the remaining players. so, lets say there is only 50 players left i might have to get through and equivalent of 3x that many players in the other game because of late registration and re-entries. and then there is a matter of time. i could finish the $200 mtt in 2-3 hours tops, it might take 2-3x as long to finish the other mtt.

so, even if the mtts look very similar as far as buy-in and structure, they're going to play differently. i would rather play the $200 mtt because it'll be game i think i have the best chance at doing well in it. it's also a lot faster. i don't want to spend 6+ hours getting through an mtt.

after you have picked the right game mode and game you think you'll do your best in. then it's about how you should play against your opponents. since i only play microstakes mtts, then it's a pretty simple strategy of making less mistakes than my opponents. i know it sounds vague but, in a nutshell, that's all it comes down to.

so, what exactly is making less mistakes than my opponent? lets look at hand selection as that's the first step when playing. if i play a much tighter range than my opponent and i raise a lot with my big hands, don't get too committed with my medium hands like suited connectors and mid pairs, and fold all my other junk hands, then i'm making less mistakes than my opponent that plays a much wider range. this gives me the advantage of having the better hand more often (not always), winning pots more often, and losing less chips when i'm behind and have to fold. some people might look at is as 'scared' poker if i don't chase my draws, but if i think i'm behind or don't think i'm getting the right price/paid off, then i'll make the decision to fold to try and find a better spot to play. on top of that, if i make sure to maximize my value for my big hands when i hit, don't chance my draws unless i'm getting the proper price to do so, and i fold when i'm behind, that'll just increase my chances of doing well.

it's not going to be about winning every pot or never losing any chips. you're always to going to lose chips sometimes, but it's more about managing your losses and maximizing your value. i might have a 50 bb stack, but because i had to fold some hands, maybe i raised some and had to fold on a later street, etc, it might drop down to 35 bbs. it sucks to lose some bbs and have a smaller stack, but i still have a healthy stack and because i minimized my risk, when i get a big hand and double up, i'll have 70 bbs. but what if i was a bit too reckless and played too many hands, chased too much and didn't hit and now i only have 12 big blind? then i double up to only 24 big blinds. so, by thinking ahead, managing my stack, minimizing losses, not taking unnecessary chip losses by playing bad hands, i'm giving myself the best chance of doing well.

i play very tight aggressive. so, i might be folding 90% of my hands dealt. of the 10% i do play, maybe i 5% of that i win small pots, take down blinds, win pots uncontested, etc to maintain a small stack. the other 5% of the time, i double up or better and win huge pots to put me in prime position to make the final table. it could be a bit boring style of play, but it works for me. i save my chips as much as i can to maximize my return for my big hands. so, i might win only 5 big pots in an mtt, but if that gets me to the final table, then it works.

as far as maximizing your value, i think this is going to be hard sometimes because you'll to be willing to put your mtt life at risk sometimes. a big example of this is playing aa. you might have to get it in with aa and have to accept that it'll lose some of the time. it sucks when you get it in with 50 bbs vs a10 or qj and you lose, but a loss doesn't mean it's a mistake. that's the key point to remember. your decision determines what is right or wrong, not the results. getting your chips in preflop with aa vs a weaker hand is a correct decision, the loss is just a potential result and luckily, it only happens 1/5 times.

Last edited:
Fatbig1

Fatbig1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys just joined,I love poker hope to get to know everyone 😜

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is important to know whom you're playing against, so notes are inevitable as well.

In freeroll, that's very difficult.

Because it rarely plays against the same opponent.

D

DonkArmyFish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Listen man no one wins off the bat, can take years before you see any type of success as long as you constantly think about your game and how you can improve it and always work towards at least some level of GTO understanding or game theory then you should do alright

One of the solid foundations is bankroll management I have none but that's purely because I don't have any interest in grinding the micros forever I would rather take my shots at mid steaks and have a good day here or there and look at it as a fun relaxing option of income rather than trying to make it a full time job which is something you have to do when you first start playing you have to decide what type of player you want to be and how you want to approach the game.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said, you are basically asking for a full poker course. So why not take one of those, that have already been created, like the free one here at CC. To become a winning poker player requires many hours of practice and study. You cant just post in a forum and expect someone to feed it all to you, so that you only need to spend 5 or 10 minutes reading ;)

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You will have to write a whole book about this.) Do you want to be told everything in 5 minutes what the best poker players have been mining at the tables with sweat and blood for years? Sorry, but here you can only give a small share of knowledge. You yourself need to study the game of poker, but here they can only suggest specific cases at the table or something else.

Plut41

Plut41

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion it's 80% natural talent, some people just crush it with very little of calculation theory.

Aleks75

Aleks75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Play from a position.
2. Use canned bets.
3. Do not push monsters on the preflop against the chipleader.
4. Do not forget about the strategy of the game at different stages of MTT.
5. Play your game and don't bend over.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In such a meta game, there’s so many strategies. And the more you learn about the game, the more there is to learn about the game…
That being said…
The true basics for beginners to actually win would be something things like:
-Don’t bluff, play solid hands only…
-Learn positioning, in position you can start to bluff or play weaker hands…
-learn opponents ranges, are they tight, passive, over aggressive, fishy…
-game stages (if we’re talking mtts)
Early, mid, late game play, pre and post bubble play, final table play…
-learn low stack play, shove ranges, isolating flips, EV, pot odds

Like I said, the more you learn, the more there is to learn… this is just a basic broad scope for beginner play.
Opening your range, 3-4 betting, bluffing, should only be attempted when you have a firm grasp on the basics, (and it will probably cost you to really learn/master every step of the way)
Play a tight solid game and you’ll do okay, learn why to play/fold hands and you’ll run deep
👍

Poker Tips