Tips for newbies

jumaischi

jumaischi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am new in poker so I ask....what is best for me to developed my skills ,play cash at low stakes,or touramnents?:confused:

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am new in poker so I ask....what is best for me to developed my skills ,play cash at low stakes,or touramnents?:confused:

As a newbie you can learn a tremendous amount from either formats. I’d suggest trying out both and seeing which type is naturally more appealing to you. I’m pretty competitive by nature, so I personally prefer tournaments. Whatever you choose though, I hope you have a lot of fun and good luck! :)

B

brazilpescador

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in reality cash games and tournaments are two different games cash has a looser style you end up playing more hands and the tournaments are totally different with an established goal so it depends on the style of game that you like the most and matches your profile. in this early career it is good to experiment in a very moderate way to know where you fit best, remembering that nothing prevents you from playing various styles of poker.

jumaischi

jumaischi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a newbie you can learn a tremendous amount from either formats. I’d suggest trying out both and seeing which type is naturally more appealing to you. I’m pretty competitive by nature, so I personally prefer tournaments. Whatever you choose though, I hope you have a lot of fun and good luck! :)
Today I play my first cash game ...I have notice that if you have patience you can play poker for a long period of time and is not that risky if you play the hands right....instead tournaments as you said the competition is big and I can't handled (....yet😁😁 )I usually get out very quickly..everyone is rushing the game

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Today I play my first cash game ...I have notice that if you have patience you can play poker for a long period of time and is not that risky if you play the hands right....instead tournaments as you said the competition is big and I can't handled (....yet[emoji16][emoji16] )I usually get out very quickly..everyone is rushing the game

Patience is a crucial skill in poker that even some otherwise very good players don’t have enough of—so it sounds like you’re off to an amazing start! Sounds like you’re more comfortable with cash games so it’s wonderful you’re starting with them. Hope you have a blast!

12345djon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For beginners, it seems very difficult to play cash, if you do not like tournaments, try to play low-cost sit-and-go, where there are not many 360 or 90 people.

jumaischi

jumaischi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For beginners, it seems very difficult to play cash, if you do not like tournaments, try to play low-cost sit-and-go, where there are not many 360 or 90 people.
It's not a bad idea but I'd would like to increase my backroll first ,so I will try sooner or later!Tnx for the advise:)

Z

zhilipp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read lots of articles about poker and try to play very regulary to improve.
I try to play some freerolls every now and then and usually focus more on cash game.

riverlizard3

riverlizard3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have to say i enjoy both, but also the tactics are different, so i recommend mix it up to hone skills and you will probably prefer one over the other . enjoy.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Today I play my first cash game ...I have notice that if you have patience you can play poker for a long period of time and is not that risky if you play the hands right....instead tournaments as you said the competition is big and I can't handled (....yet😁😁 )I usually get out very quickly..everyone is rushing the game

Patience is the toughest thing to learn for most poker players. If you're able to understand it, grasp it, and utilize it, it'll be such a powerful weapon for you in the long run.

With that being said, cash games are best for using this strategy. When playing a tournament, you still have to use it but realize that you will have to make that move eventually. Tournaments have the blinds and antes increasing every 10 to 20 minutes which forces you to make decisions you wouldn't normally in cash.

jumaischi

jumaischi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience is the toughest thing to learn for most poker players. If you're able to understand it, grasp it, and utilize it, it'll be such a powerful weapon for you in the long run.

With that being said, cash games are best for using this strategy. When playing a tournament, you still have to use it but realize that you will have to make that move eventually. Tournaments have the blinds and antes increasing every 10 to 20 minutes which forces you to make decisions you wouldn't normally in cash.
Exctly,In touranemts you have to risk more and be agresive,you are agaist the time ..and you are more likely to play bad hands just for a chance to increase your chips!

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First・・・

First "When the turn of the time has come, how many people are on the table?" You'll think and play.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try 6-s s&g and see how it goes.

Danjwarburton

Danjwarburton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's one for you, but I mean no offense to the rest of the players out there.

95% OF POKER PLAYERS EITHER BREAK EVEN OR ARE COMPLETE LOSERS.

It's for the above reason that if you can learn to play in an "unorthodox" method which most people disagree with, hate you for or despise you as a disagrace to the game then you may find you actual succeed.

For example, with cash games... don't be afraid to look at ignoring nearly all the people on this forum (as the above statement suggests) and instead try things a bit unusual. Go for things most others will not.

Here's a few examples:

1.) How about looking at learning a short-stack strategy for cash games where you buy in for less than 50BBs?
2.) If you are going to play your SB, Always 3bet by 5x the raiser's bet and check-jam some flops with a short stack. Learn to recognise flops your opponent will have missed and where you block them from hitting with cards you hold then check-jam all in.
3.) If you are on the Button where the Cutoff or Hijack have raised and you want to play your hand... NEVER FLAT CALL. Always three-bet 4x their opening range, bet flop 1/3rd followed by turn of 60% pot sized bet.

A few unusual moves, but remember the general principle:

* To be a success, become an outlier as almost noone is successful at poker*

Redbull199030

Redbull199030

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, play at low rates, play freerolls and study poker.

Poker Tips